You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-21 02:29:53

hdhiman

Archlinux install on fitpc2

Hi,
I've been trying to install archlinux on a fitpc2. I'm trying out the usb image, since there's no cd drive on a fitpc.
I formatted my 2gb usb flashdrive to fat32, and then used the dd command to install the image onto it. I boot from the usb, and it works fine.
Until however, the point where i have to install grub and reboot.
I installed grub on the /boot partition, and after giving the reboot command, i removed the usbdrive.
The problem started here. Upon reboot, there was nothing. Just a black screen with a cursor flashing on the top left. I couldn't use the keyboard, nothing.

Any idea what seems to be the problem??

THanks!

#2 2009-10-22 12:28:20

jargoman

Re: Archlinux install on fitpc2

I believe what you intended to do was install grub to the mbr not /boot. Your mbr "master boot record" is the first 512 bytes or so of the hard disk. When you boot the hard disk the mbr loads then if you've configured your menu.lst properly it will load the kernel in /boot.

It is possible to have grub installed to /boot but you would still need a bootloader (such as grub) installed on the mbr to chainload to /boot.

Basically you installed grub to the first 512 bytes of the /boot partition and your computer has no way of finding it because your "mbr" is empty.

this thread is similar to your question.
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=82272

and coincidentally I'm about to post the question of how to remove grub from a partition such as /boot when you intended to install it to the "mbr" instead.

Last edited by jargoman (2009-10-22 12:39:41)

Board footer