You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-21 15:06:40

linuxyxsh

Virtualbox + mplayer slow in kernel-bfs and nvidia-bfs

Today I tried the BFS kernel in AUR and updated the nvidia driver to nvidia-bfs (185). Everything seems OK. But when I play 1080p movies with a Windows XP running in Virtualbox, the computer becomes quite slow, the movie is not smooth as it's supposed to be. And frankly, the video playback is much worse than a vanilla kernel26.

Have any of you experienced the similar incidents?

Thanks

#2 2009-10-21 15:23:26

brisbin33
Website

Re: Virtualbox + mplayer slow in kernel-bfs and nvidia-bfs

this would makes sense as vobxdrv is a kernel module.  did you rebuild and modprobe for the bfs kernel?

fraid i can't confirm what you're seeing, but i can say that playing 1080p in mplayer natively is much smoother for me when using bfs, probably the most demonstrable result i've seen from the new scheduler.

also, since bfs patch level 300 or so i've been able to use the normal nvidia-beta drivers with bfs no problem.  makes switching back and forth that much easier.

#3 2009-10-21 15:53:56

linuxyxsh

brisbin33, thanks for the quick reply. Is nvidia-beta you mentioned nvidia-beta-190?

Yes I rebuilt vboxdrv for the bfs kernel. Otherwise Vbox would not work at all.

I have tried a few times and the slowing down is quite pronounced. If Vbox is NOT running, mplayer plays video normally, just as well as I got in vanilla kernel.

Anyway, thank you. I will probably switch back to vanilla kernel.

#4 2009-10-22 13:34:21

brisbin33
Website

ohhh, i thought you were playing the 1080 movie /in/ virtualbox.  you're saying that with vbox open mplayer slows while playing 1080.  i'd expect that combination to slow most systems with any kernel... but you only experience this with bfs?

i use whatever nvidia-beta is in the AUR.  maybe this weekend i'll test vbox and mplayer open together with bfs and see how it performs.

Board footer