You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-22 08:01:24

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Gnome 2.28 won't shutdown if other users are logged in [SOLVED]

If I have my user logged in to Gnome and my wife switches users and then wants to shutdown the box, Gnome 2.28 does not allow this giving the following box, "System policy prevents stopping the system when other users are logged in."

shitz.jpg

How can I modify my system to allow any user logged in to shutdown the box even if other users are logged in as well?   I'm running x86_64 with Gnome and have downgraded gdm to the prev. version until the stability issues with gdm 2.28 have been fixed. 

I posted about a situation similar to this before and the fix is detailed in post #21 in this thread.  BUT, that applied to a different situation and to earlier version of both ConsoleKit.conf and Gnome.

Last edited by graysky (2009-10-22 19:45:17)

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#2 2009-10-22 09:21:24

sliponoga

Re: Gnome 2.28 won't shutdown if other users are logged in [SOLVED]

graysky wrote:

BUT, that applied to a different situation and to earlier version of both ConsoleKit.conf and Gnome.

Try to define policy in a manner similar to one discussed in After Gnome update cpufreq-applet needs privilages all the time. You can change Identity=unix-user to Identity=unix-group.

#3 2009-10-22 19:09:40

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Thanks for the reply. Here's what I did:

# nano /var/lib/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/shutdown.pkla

[system shutdown privs]
Identity=unix-group:users
Action=org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.stop-multiple-users
ResultAny=no
ResultInactive=no
ResultActive=yes
# nano /var/lib/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/restart.pkla

[system restart privs]
Identity=unix-group:users
Action=org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.restart-multiple-users
ResultAny=no
ResultInactive=no
ResultActive=yes

After a restart of hal everything works!  THANKS AGAIN!  I added this great information to the Gnome 2.28 Changes wiki article.  Hopefully others will find it useful.

A new question: how does making those files differ from using the polkit-auth shell program?  I found this page.  I couldn't seem to find the polkit-auth-gnome application, but I do have the shell version.  I attempted to add this privilege for my users, and I succeeded, but even after restarting hal, I'm still prompted for the superuser password to shutdown if more than one user is logged in... am I not using polkit-auth correctly?

# polkit-auth --user slim --grant org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.stop-multiple-users

Last edited by graysky (2009-11-01 10:36:40)

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#4 2009-11-01 08:51:18

mclabaut

Arch linux policykit is a great mess, because of two uncompatibles packages being installed.

See http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/16938.

I guess we have no more option than to wait that  the old polycikit package is no more a dependency of other packages....

Board footer