You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-16 21:21:56

linux4life88

Interent Connection Problems Atheros AR928x

So I got Arch installed and tried to connect to the internet. I have my /etc/rc.conf file set up as so:

eth0="dhcp"
INTERFACES=(eth0)
gateway="default gw 192.168.0.1"
ROUTES=(!gateway)

I then tired to ping google (ping -c 3 www.google.com) and it was a no go, unknown host. Know here is some more information:

1) During boot up it hangs when it says starting network. Then it finally says failed.
2) I ran dhcpcd and it said waiting for carrier...then after a while it said timed out.

I have a Atheros AR928x wireless card in an Asus N81vp-C1 laptop. I also tried wired connection and that was a no go as well. I went through the Configuring Network Wiki Page but nothing seems to be working. Any help at all would be much appreciated.

#2 2009-10-16 22:18:16

linux4life88

Re: Interent Connection Problems Atheros AR928x

I've also tried the method from this method (http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=63940):

sudo nano /etc/rc.local

dhcpcd -k eth0
dhcpcd -nd eth0

I would really like to get Arch to work on its own partition and not just in a virtual machine. But I've never been able to get wireless to work. My previous laptop had a broadcom chip and it would not work and this laptop has an atheros card an it won't work as well.

Also, during installation I installed netcfg and wireless-tools. Hopefully I can get something working.

Also, I have WPA2 security setup on my wireless router.

#3 2009-10-17 14:58:30

linux4life88

I still can't figure this out. Arch is a great distribution if you run it in a virtual machine but otherwise the wireless support is horrid and keeps you from installing anything. Until the wireless problems get fixed I have no other choice but to just keep running Arch in a virtual machine. I would like to move it to its own dedicated partition but that is just not possible without an internet connection. I guess I will just have to keep waiting until the wireless support comes along because I really like the rolling release concept. Oh well.

#4 2009-10-17 15:27:20

ralvez
Website

have you seen this? http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wireless_Setup
I use wireless with Arch and it works.
In all honesty I have had some challenges in the past but by and large it works fine.

Try to follow the instructions in the link.
By the way... your set up seems to target your Ethernet connection not your wireless and that may be the root of your problems.

R.

#5 2009-10-17 16:27:37

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

linux4life88 wrote:

I still can't figure this out. Arch is a great distribution if you run it in a virtual machine but otherwise the wireless support is horrid and keeps you from installing anything. Until the wireless problems get fixed I have no other choice but to just keep running Arch in a virtual machine. I would like to move it to its own dedicated partition but that is just not possible without an internet connection. I guess I will just have to keep waiting until the wireless support comes along because I really like the rolling release concept. Oh well.

Linux kernel wireless support is Linux kernel wireless support. You are not having a problem with "horrid Arch wireless support", but rather, with properly configuring and managing your own wireless connection(s).
Your Atheros card will most likely be using the ath9k driver included in the kernel, which creates wlan0, not eth0. eth0 is surely your wired lan.
Follow the wiki link that ralvez gave you, which provides all the information you need.

#6 2009-10-21 23:53:36

DarksideEE7

I have wireless working on my 1002ha with the same ar928x chipset using WPA2.  I use wpa_supplicant for this.  I have encountered some problems with keeping a stable connection though.  I just lose connection and can't seem to get it back up without rebooting (I used to be able to run a few commands to bring it down/up)
If you need any config files or info just let me know.

#7 2009-10-22 00:25:33

guzz46

I have the same ar928x card and find wireless connection easy using netcfg, all i did was install netcfg and wireless_tools then create my profile (which i called wireless) nano /etc/network.d/wireless and added this

CONNECTION="wireless"
INTERFACE=wlan0
SCAN="yes"
SECURITY="wpa"
ESSID="name of your connection"
KEY="your password"
IP="dhcp"
TIMEOUT=20

then run netcfg wireless and thats it, and if you want it to start on boot add net-profiles to your daemons list in /etc/rc.conf

#8 2009-10-23 02:58:15

DarksideEE7

guzz46 wrote:

I have the same ar928x card and find wireless connection easy using netcfg, all i did was install netcfg and wireless_tools then create my profile (which i called wireless) nano /etc/network.d/wireless and added this

CONNECTION="wireless"
INTERFACE=wlan0
SCAN="yes"
SECURITY="wpa"
ESSID="name of your connection"
KEY="your password"
IP="dhcp"
TIMEOUT=20

then run netcfg wireless and thats it, and if you want it to start on boot add net-profiles to your daemons list in /etc/rc.conf

Have you experienced any connection stability problems?  Mine is getting much worse...............really annoying.  I use the same method as you netcfg and net-profiles.  I have 3 different wifi networks that I use regularly.  One of them is WPA2 (my home, I use wpa supplicant) and the other 2 are completely open.
Normally if I drop connection a simple:
sudo netcfg -a;sudo netcfg *net profile name here*
will bring back the connection.  However now I can't get it to pick it back up.  I get this:

wlan0     Interface doesn't support scanning : Device or resource busy

when I try to bring up the network profile. 
dmesg shows:

ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready

Every time I try to bring the driver down, then back up using:
sudo ifconfig wlan0 down;sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
I get that same line in dmesg. 
I'm at a loss, and this is really annoying.

#9 2009-10-23 09:29:12

guzz46

Have you experienced any connection stability problems?

Yes i have actually, it's seems to be random for me, most of the time it's fine then it will drop out for a minute then it will come back again.
Usually if i do a netcfg -a then netcfg profile name it display's the same message as you got but it connect's anyway, but this morning it wouldn't and displayed some network not available error message and i had to reboot to get it working again.

Sometimes when pacman is downloading a package it stop's halfway through with some kind of error retrieving package message even though my connection is still up, not sure if it's related or not

There is a post here http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=81930 about a similar issue i think

Board footer