You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-23 17:47:43

zebeste

Hang during install after last step

During installation, there is a step for installing grub.  When I start it, the grub.conf file opens up and I modify it because I'm dual booting with the Win7 RC (basically I just uncomment the lines already in there at the bottom related to Windows).  I save the file, and when I exit it and select where to install it (the MBR, ie sda without a number), everything hangs.  Basically, my computer still receives input because every time I press a key, characters show up, but there is no command line.  I end up pressing alt-f2 to get at a prompt to reboot.  I'm at a loss for what to do.  Any ideas? thanks.

Last edited by zebeste (2009-10-23 19:30:35)

#2 2009-10-23 20:09:11

timm

Re: Hang during install after last step

Not sure, but I would check the wiki for dual booting information.  Is windows already installed?

#3 2009-10-23 20:34:49

hdhiman

Do you want to use grub to manage your boot entries?
I also have Windows 7 running on my system. I installed grub in the boot partition and then used easybcd in windows to add the entry to the windows 7 mbr. I'm running a triple boot with ubuntu and archlinux, and it seems to work fine...atleast if something goes wrong with linux (because i'm using it for a lot of programming etc.) i still have my windows boot working....

Another thing, your system is not hanging if you can open up the virtual console, it just means something's gone wrong with installer...Personally i found the above solution best to dual boot with windows vista/7.

#4 2009-10-23 20:47:03

zebeste

Well, I just tried using the option in the tools menu of the installer cd to install grub into the mbr, and it gave me an Error 17, which I've noticed some other people have experienced while I was searching the forums for a solution, so I'm going to go back and search for solutions to this error.

I already have windows installed.  I've actually installed Arch in the past alongside my WinXP x64 install on this machine (sometime last spring), but when I couldn't get the catalyst drivers up and running, I decided to wipe my hard drive clean and try the Win7 RC.  Now, I'm back to giving Arch another go.  I suppose the point of my ramblings is that I can probably rule out a hardware issue, given that it worked before.  Now off to searching for a solution.  If anyone has any ideas though, I wouldn't mind them being posted here, though.  Thanks.

#5 2009-10-23 21:41:02

grey

You could try to skip the installer's attempt to install grub to the MBR and do it yourself on one of the free terminals. At least that should give you a better error message:

$ grub
grub > root (hd0,X)
grub > setup (hd0)
grub > quit  #or exit, I'm typing from memory here

On quit (or exit), I actually says "probing BIOS devices, this may take a long time". For me, it never does, but if this message isn't just a relic of slower times maybe this is where the installation seems to hang in your case.

Last edited by grey (2009-10-23 21:44:44)

Good ideas do not need lots of lies told about them in order to gain public acceptance.

#6 2009-10-23 22:06:33

zebeste

I'm getting a "Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x7" when I try "root (hd0,0)" and "root (hd0,1)."
"setup (hd0)" results in "Error 17: Cannot mount selected partition"

When I quit, I don't get any message like that.  Also, the first time I ran into this problem I just let it sit for a while to see if anything changed, just in case something like that was going on.

EDIT: Also, I'm only running one hardrive in my computer and its a SATA one.

EDIT 2: I also checked my bios to make sure that the protection stuff for the mbr was disabled.

Last edited by zebeste (2009-10-23 22:11:38)

#7 2009-10-23 22:21:31

grey

Now we're getting somewhere. What is you partition layout?
BTW there is no point trying to do "setup (hd0)" unless "root (hd0,X)" has succeeded.

Edit just in case: root (hd0,X) needs to point to the partition containing the boot directory, and it should be a primary partition.

Last edited by grey (2009-10-23 22:24:19)

Good ideas do not need lots of lies told about them in order to gain public acceptance.

#8 2009-10-24 02:08:35

zebeste

Just tried something.  I used "root (hd0,2)" which actually worked, so I ran "setup (hd0)" which worked, and now when I boot, grub loads properly.  I can load Windows correctly from it, but when I try Arch, it panics, but I'm running under the assumption that the install failed because I never actually managed to complete it.  So, I'm going to try installing it again and see how it works out.  Thanks, grey, for the help.

Board footer