You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-25 16:18:45

orlandold

updates cataloged / security

I will like to use Arch as the distro for a machine which will work as a server, being such all day long running.

I haven't played much with the update method applied by Arch, nonetheless I will appreciate if someone could guide me through some inquiries I have, for which I haven't identified the answer on the wiki:

Are the updates cataloged in accordance to their importance (security wise)? Meaning that I could always apply updates to my system which are critical for security measures, and the remaining which aren't precisely security important, then I could investigate in the news section or event at the project itself, so I could determine if there is any risk in applying the update as such, of if the update to some app is unstable, etc...

By being a "bleeding edge" distro, what sets its boundaries, or what rules can the user follow to implement or determine what is strictly necessary to be updated for the distro, rather than simply updating everything always, from which one of its components could not be stable enough to how I will like my system to be configured.

So, bottom line, I understand that some distros inform the user through the update manager/package manager, etc., when something is critical (security updates).

How does Arch manages this?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

#2 2009-10-25 16:24:29

MadTux

Re: updates cataloged / security

As far as I know, Arch does not have a dedicated security team and so, updates are not categorized. If security issues are fixed by upstream vendors, they are incorporated into Arch. However, Arch does not have a dedicated team that applies security patches or actively works on security issues.
If you are reluctant to blindly apply updates, you may update less often, e.g. once a week, and before you update scan the forum if there are any issues.

Board footer