You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-25 22:51:53

Allie

Reinstalling Cheese

I am a new comer to arch, and I need a little assistance.

I am trying to reinstall an older version of cheese.
My system info is:

Kernel Linux 2.26.30-ARCH
GNOME 2.26.3

Can anyone help me??

smile smile
<3

#2 2009-10-25 22:59:52

fsckd
Forum Fellow

Re: Reinstalling Cheese

Are you trying to downgrade a package? The procedure I used for downgrading was (1) remove the newer version with pacman -Rsn name_of_package (2) install older version with pacman -U path_to_older_package_sitting_on_my_hdd_somewhere.

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#3 2009-10-25 23:10:24

Allie

Well I don't have it on my hdd somewhere...
I went into terminal to try to reinstall it, with the shortcut language, y cheese.
To which terminal responds:

resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...
:: util-linux-ng conflicts with e2fsprogs. Remove e2fsprogs? [Y/n]

I am guessing this is so because it wants to install cheese 2.26.1 which is the new version, but I need the older one so I don't break my system.

Does that make any sense at all???
LOL!

smile

#4 2009-10-25 23:22:17

fsckd
Forum Fellow

No ... to me it looks like cheese has nothing to do with it. Try what they suggest in this thread.

#5 2009-10-25 23:52:48

Allie

Someone else set this system up for me and they are trying to assist with my learning of it so they are advising me to ask in the forums. 
The Syu doesn't sound like a sure shot for me as I don't want it to break my system.

Ultimately I am sure its an older version of cheese that is needed to correct this error.
Do you know where I can find one??
smile

#6 2009-10-26 00:00:04

fsckd
Forum Fellow

The link I gave above for downgrading packages has a section on finding older versions. A quick search on ARM yields this.

If you can give the full error you're experiencing it might help us help you more. smile

#7 2009-10-26 00:04:54

Allie

Ok so I followed the previous thread you posted for finding it on my hdd.  It worked I was able to install the older version of Cheese.

Thank you fsckd!

Cheese is now installed, and now there is a new error.  When I typed cheese to open it in terminal it gave me:

$ cheese

(cheese:14629): GStreamer-WARNING **: Failed to load plugin '/usr/lib/gstreamer-0.10/libgstofa.so': libofa.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

** (cheese:14628): WARNING **: could not generate thumbnail for /home/alley/.gnome2/cheese/media/2009-10-21-203409.ogv (video/ogg)

libv4lconvert: Error decompressing JPEG: unknown huffman code: 0000ffff
The program 'cheese' received an X Window System error.
This probably reflects a bug in the program.
The error was 'BadIDChoice (invalid resource ID chosen for this connection)'.
  (Details: serial 2301 error_code 14 request_code 1 minor_code 0)
  (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
   that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
   To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
   option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
   backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)

What would you advise now??

smile

#8 2009-10-26 00:15:53

fsckd
Forum Fellow

I would advise you to try installing gstreamer0.10-bad-plugins.

#9 2009-10-26 00:30:17

sokuban

Allie wrote:

Someone else set this system up for me and they are trying to assist with my learning of it so they are advising me to ask in the forums. 
The Syu doesn't sound like a sure shot for me as I don't want it to break my system.

Ultimately I am sure its an older version of cheese that is needed to correct this error.
Do you know where I can find one??
smile

Well tell that someone to let you use whatever you want on your computer, or make him do /all/ the maintenance for you as compensation. It just isn't realistic to expect people not interested to magically learn by asking in the forums.

Anyways...

In Arch Linux you really shouldn't be looking to install older versions of packages as the one solution to all your problems. The idea with Archlinux is that you use new, up-to-date software. You will have much more problems trying to keep an older version of cheese than a new version will ever give you. If you want to keep using the same version of software for a prolonged period of time, Arch isn't for you.

Of course, there are legitimate reasons to want an old version of software, perhaps if the new version is broken. In this situation you would only install the old version /temporarily/, until the problem is fixed. If you want to temporarily use an old version of software, you have to use the method that fsckd mentioned. Of course you are thinking you don't have the package sitting on your harddrive somewhere, but actually it would probably be in /var/cache/pacman/pkg/ (unless you cleared your pacman cache or deleted it).

But, this is simply a package management problem, not a problem with the function of the program itself, ie the new version of cheese probably works fine, you just can't get it to install properly.

"pacman -Syu" will upgrade your system. That means that /all/ your programs will be upgraded to the newest version that Archlinux supplies. I'm not sure of the specifics of the problem at hand, but that command will not harm your system, and will probably solve your problem. In fact, you should be upgrading your system regularly. (Or the person who set up Arch for you should.) Not updating your system regularly can be dangerous, as it won't really be secure.

Well, actually it can, if the new version of some package doesn't work. But now you know that if the new version of cheese (or any other program) doesn't work after you upgrade, you should go "pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/cheese-2.26-1-i686.pkg.tar.gz" or whatever the old version of cheese was and you will go back to that.

But if you seriously want to learn how to use Archlinux, I highly recommend you install the system yourself. Yes, it can be daunting, but you have the person that set up the system for you that you can annoy anytime during the installation process whenever something goes wrong. That way you'll be able to understand your system a lot better. At the wiki (http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Main_Page) there is an in-depth Beginner's Guide and Installation Guide that can help you.

Also you should read the following information on the wiki to know what you are getting into:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Linux
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/The_Arch_Way
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/FAQ

FAKE EDIT: Yes, I'm late, I started typing this reply before the last couple of posts came up. Sure, you could do all that, but I just want to make sure that you understand what Arch is, and that you should get in the habit of upgrading your system regularly. If you are really scared to do that now, then sure, but talk to whoever set up the system for you about it. If they expect you to "learn" about Arch but not upgrade by yourself then... what shall I say, that is difficult.

Last edited by sokuban (2009-10-26 00:32:45)

#10 2009-10-26 01:33:03

Allie

Hello sukoban, thanks for the post, I will definately take a look at the links you recommended.
I agree, if someone else set it up I don't really know the system well myself, I was there to watch for the most part, but its different actually installing it and watching.

I am scared to update my system with a -Syu as I have heard that it could break some of my other applications/programs and that doesn't sound that appealing to me.  I could try it but limit what is being updated (not update certain things that could break the system).

Well wish me luck!  I got the installer to assist me with the -Syu so that I hopefully won't break anything!!

smile
Fingers crossed!

Board footer