You are not logged in.

#76 2009-10-04 17:46:34

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: Poulsbo aka Intel GMA500 drivers PKGBUILD

mulenmar wrote:
skottish wrote:

You can remove stuff without removing all of the dependency chain with the 'd' switch in pacman. Just keep in mind that you did it if things don't work out the way that you expect them to.

Tried that, but since the psb driver uses things like xpsb-glx, which uses libdrm-psb, which in turn doesn't play with its standard libdrm counterpart, which xorg-server won't run without...yeah, it's quite the debacle. hmm

This all works in Ubuntu with the appropriate PPA repo installed -- but even then it takes some tweakage to approach the 2d performance of the plain xf86-video-fbdev driver. (Enlightenment E16's startup is a suprisingly effective visual comparison for measuring this, at least on Ubuntu Jaunty, on this chipset.)

I'm going to attempt the uvesafb + fbdev solution next.

It might be a good idea to update the Acer Aspire One page with at least a note that the 751h model uses the Poulsbo drivers, and doesn't work with the standard intel driver. If there are no objections to that, once the current trouble with installing the psb driver is figured out thoroughly (and I've gotten some sleep big_smile) I'd be willing to take a crack at it. cool

Yup, it's all a bit of a hassle, but it's do-able.

Ubuntu initially tried to avoid releasing this driver for their most recent release because, well, it's crap. The hassle of maintaining unmaintained software is something that any distro wants to avoid. They eventually released it because, I assume, it was less work than dealing with all of the people who's system didn't work anymore. That's too bad. Since distros are hacking their way through the problem, it takes the incentive away from Intel to expedite the process.

By all means feel free to add to the wiki. This is good information.

#77 2009-10-04 18:36:51

mulenmar
Website

skottish wrote:

Yup, it's all a bit of a hassle, but it's do-able.

Ubuntu initially tried to avoid releasing this driver for their most recent release because, well, it's crap. The hassle of maintaining unmaintained software is something that any distro wants to avoid. They eventually released it because, I assume, it was less work than dealing with all of the people who's system didn't work anymore. That's too bad. Since distros are hacking their way through the problem, it takes the incentive away from Intel to expedite the process.

By all means feel free to add to the wiki. This is good information.

And of course, mere hours after I offer the help, the Synaptics touchpad fails. Completely. There's no option in the BIOS for enabling or disabling it, doesn't matter how I configure it in xorg.conf, and it doesn't even work in Losedows. mad

Well, technically it's still under Walmart's 15-day warranty -- all I have to do is restore the partion scheme and the Vista bootloader, reset to factory defaults, and exchange it. roll (Should've gotten a Samsung...)

I did get the full 1366x768 resolution -- albeit with still no backlight control, as only the psb drivers seem to provide a way to control that -- so I should still be able to update the wiki, just from a different computer. *sigh*

EDITED 10-5-2009

Well, AFTER I fully restored Vista's deathgrip it the mouse still didn't work. I let the thing set for a couple hours without a battery in it, the mouse finally started working. Should have realized that Fn+F7 enables/disables the touchpad...

Last edited by mulenmar (2009-12-01 02:00:36)

#78 2009-10-06 01:24:46

mulenmar
Website

I made a minor addition to the Video section of the Acer Aspire One wiki, mentioning the 751h's issue and pointing to this thread as one of two ways to get full resolution. I plan to extend/expand this a bit, but I have a paper due tomorrow and don't have time atm.

As several other computers (I think one of the Dell Minis?) have this same chipset, should a Poulsbo-specific page be created? That's currently far beyond my Wiki abilities, but I can at least pull the needed material together. cool

#79 2009-10-15 09:24:49

jpx

Hi all and thanks to Ixar for its work

I'm a newbie with arch,

I tried last night to install the xorg-x11-drv-psb on my Asus 1101HA with a 2009.08 arch distrib
I have a conflict with libdrm libdrm-psp and an old libgl that I remove before installing xorg-x11-drv-psb but it still ask the libdrm
For info, The kernel was updated to 2.6.31 after installing madwifi !

Can we force the install with pacman ?
Should I downgrade to 2.6.30 ?

Need help :-)
thanks in advance

#80 2009-10-17 18:10:04

jpx

Hi,

I ve installed all ixar modules with pacman-Sd to force dependencies or conflicts problems
I do a "depmod -a" to add /extra/psb.ko and drm/drm.ko

but "modprobe psb" failed and return this :
FATAL : Error inserting psb (/lib/modules/2.6.31-ARCH/extra/psb.ko):: Invalid module format

any solution ? :-)

#81 2009-10-18 01:38:41

skottish
Forum Fellow

jpx wrote:

Hi,

I ve installed all ixar modules with pacman-Sd to force dependencies or conflicts problems
I do a "depmod -a" to add /extra/psb.ko and drm/drm.ko

but "modprobe psb" failed and return this :
FATAL : Error inserting psb (/lib/modules/2.6.31-ARCH/extra/psb.ko):: Invalid module format

any solution ? :-)

Read the whole thread?

#82 2009-10-18 10:50:14

jpx

Ok thanks Skottish ;-),

Sorry I missed this thread, and now my psb is working in console :-)

After I did a Xorg -configure witch detected the psb
xorg start but the pc freezes just after the screen start (no mouse input no keybord input) no alt-ctrl-F2 work !
hard reboot is the only way to restart !

I tried to show at xorg.0.log but it seems that freeze is too hard to write something in that file !
perhaps I missed something else :-)

Regards

#83 2009-10-18 11:48:29

jpx

I saw that on gentoo forum !

Option "AllowEmptyInput" "false" dans la partie "ServerLayout" en attendant de faire marcher cela correctement avec HAL

#84 2009-10-19 06:15:40

dergachev

AFAIK: AdamW from Fedora managed to solve the libdrm conflict in some way:

http://www.happyassassin.net/2009/08/10/intel-gma500-poulsbo-on-fedora-11-repository-with-working-3d-compiz-support/ wrote:

libdrm-poulsbo is much cleaner and installs happily alongside regular libdrm.

#85 2009-10-19 19:05:27

kiiw

Hi people! I have been reading up on this thread now a few times, and it was successful! BUT, i ran 'pacman -Syu' and kernel was upgraded to 2.6.31.
'modprobe psb' never worked, but those other modprobes/insmods worked for me.

But now: When i do 'modprobe psb' i get "FATAL: Error inserting psb (/lib/modules/2.6.31-ARCH/extra/psb.ko (and same for drm.ko).: Invalid module format.

I tried redoing alot of steps in this thread, but still kinda stuck. Really want to keep running arch on my neat little netbook.

Thanks for the great job so far!

\\kiiw

#86 2009-10-21 16:52:41

dergachev

kiiw, If I were you I would try to downgrade to the older kernel. Or to recompile the module.

#87 2009-10-22 16:24:03

arch_junkie

Hi Arch'ers

My first time on this forum.  I recently purchased an Acer A0751h and was pissed to find out all the issues with graphics drivers.

To make a long story shorter, I found the rpm packages created by AdamW and discussed here: http://www.happyassassin.net/2009/09/26 … pm-fusion/, disected them, and created arch packages for them.

I installed with latest kernel32 (i.e. 2.6.31.4-1) and latest xorg-server (1.6.3.901-1) and have had no issues thus far.  So the question is, as a newbie here, how can I or is there a demand for me to make these available?

cgriffith

#88 2009-10-23 03:42:30

seeking

arch_junkie wrote:

Hi Arch'ers

My first time on this forum.  I recently purchased an Acer A0751h and was pissed to find out all the issues with graphics drivers.

To make a long story shorter, I found the rpm packages created by AdamW and discussed here: http://www.happyassassin.net/2009/09/26 … pm-fusion/, disected them, and created arch packages for them.

I installed with latest kernel32 (i.e. 2.6.31.4-1) and latest xorg-server (1.6.3.901-1) and have had no issues thus far.  So the question is, as a newbie here, how can I or is there a demand for me to make these available?

cgriffith

You completed the driver for Arch? Thank God. You can handle the packages to AUR. http://aur.archlinux.org/

How did you solve the problems mentioned above?

#89 2009-10-23 04:58:38

dergachev

And of course, mere hours after I offer the help, the Synaptics touchpad fails. Completely. There's no option in the BIOS for enabling or disabling it, doesn't matter how I configure it in xorg.conf, and it doesn't even work in Losedows. ... Well, AFTER I fully restored Vista's deathgrip it the mouse still didn't work. I let the thing set for a couple hours without a battery in it, the mouse finally started working. Very annoying, but let this be a warning that the mouse may not like having every single feature enabled at once. O.o

Let me guess. You have a special button to disable touchpad (Fn+F7 on AAO751h)

And can you please tell it a bit longer? Did you change anything in these packages or they worked just "out of the box"?

#90 2009-10-24 05:47:54

chris.griffith

from the poster formerly known as arch_junkie.  While I am an arch junkie, if I am to be more active around here, I thought this username would be better.

I would like to contribute my conversions of AdamW's rpms to AUR, but there is a problem.  Two of these packages contain binaries from intel.  The AUR User Guidlines explicitly say...

--copy-paste--
... The directory inside the tarball should contain a PKGBUILD, any .install files, patches, etc (ABSOLUTELY no binaries)....
--copy-paste--

If I am wrong, could a TU respond on this.  I would love to make this easier for everyone.  But in the meantime, I do not want to violate the rules.  So I will just explain what I did...

AdamW's packages can be found at rpmfusion as mentioned in his blog.  You'll want too look at Fedora 11, Updates and Updates-Testing, Non-Free, source.
1) get rpms
    a) http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/updates/11/SRPMS/repoview/xpsb-glx.html
    b) http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/updates/11/SRPMS/repoview/xorg-x11-drv-psb.html
    c) http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/updates/11/SRPMS/repoview/libdrm-poulsbo.html
    d) http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/updates/11/SRPMS/repoview/psb-firmware.html
    e) http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/updates/testing/11/SRPMS/repoview/psb-kmod.html
2) I used rpmextract to extract the files from rpms.
3) used the .spec files to craft PKGBUILD files.  The important thing here is to apply patches in correct order.
4) generate packages.

note that the xorg-x11-drv-psb package silently depends on xf86driptoto and glproto packages.

I have been very satisfied with the results so far.  I have tried playing a movie with vlc and did notice some slight (almost unoticable) hesitations, but maybe there are some x11 configs that would make this better.  glxgears avg about 220fps.

Please let me know if you need more info
cgriffith

Last edited by chris.griffith (2009-10-24 05:50:22)

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.
Those who can read binary, and those who can't.

#91 2009-10-24 06:09:10

skottish
Forum Fellow

Can't you just pull the files from the Fedora tree? That'll get you FTP or HTTP addresses that you can use in a PKGBUILD.

#92 2009-10-26 02:53:45

seeking

You can add the link of the binary files and even RPMs into PKGBUILD, like the folloing package,
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages/linux … q/PKGBUILD.

One question, Adam said in his blog that his driver cannot work in fedora 12, which means kernel 2.6.31 + X server 1.7. What is your corresponding versions?

Bsides, how did you handle the conflicting problem with libdrm-psb and libdrm like Ixar's?

With Ixar's driver, I could start X. But the performance is not well. And more worse, my laptop often crashes. I have to install Fedora 11. But the more I work in Fedora, the more I want to go back to Arch...

#93 2009-10-26 05:08:25

chris.griffith

Thank you skottish and seeking,

I am getting a crash course on the arch packaging system.  I am working on those PKGBUILDs now.

To your specific questions...

1)

I installed with latest kernel32 (i.e. 2.6.31.4-1) and latest xorg-server (1.6.3.901-1)

2)
My first attempt at PKGBUILD was just enough to get the job done.  So, to get around conflict, I uninstalled libdrm first.  However, AdamW was able to get around this and I am working to incorporate what he did in the rpm build to solve
this.

I have not had any instability issues at all.  I think the only wierdness is that when I use "Fn + F7" (which is supposed to turn display on/off) the display does not go completely black.  I would like to see movie playback improve.  I use Xfce4 with composite and it looks great.

I am hoping to have the PKGBUILDs submitted in a few days.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.
Those who can read binary, and those who can't.

#94 2009-10-26 08:57:54

seeking

Although I do not quite understand, but it seems tricky about Adam's method dealing with the conflict, as follows,

As it is versioned lower than the normal build of libdrm, it is set to
obsolete that version, so it can be installed smoothly.

from the rpm info, http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/ … ulsbo.html

I don't know whether it helps.

#95 2009-10-28 19:00:14

dergachev

#96 2009-11-01 13:48:00

jpx

Hi all,

when i'm running compiz-icon (under gnome) I'm loosing the window decoration ???
any idea ?

regards,

#97 2009-11-02 06:09:13

mulenmar
Website

dergachev wrote:

Let me guess. You have a special button to disable touchpad (Fn+F7 on AAO751h)

Apparantly so, but I never tried any of those Fn-F# combos until just now, when I saw your post. lol

Anyway, I have a full schedule right now, but I'm putting testing these new packages on it anyway. I should be able to try them out with a week or two, and will see about adding info about them to the wiki afterwards. cool

#98 2009-11-06 06:50:16

imraro

#99 2009-11-06 07:05:34

sxtynnmach1

I'm happy to see that this thread is active.

I just got a Dell Mini 10 with the HD display (poulsbo driver, ugh) and am currently using Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic because it seems to be the most compatible so far. I have gotten used to Arch on my desktop and really miss it on my netbook big_smile

As my netbook is currently vital to my classwork I'm hesitant to go build an Arch system without being sure the graphics driver will work, and don't have the time right now to experiment with PKGBUILDs. Once someone submits a finalized AUR package I'd be happy to write up a wiki section for the Dell Mini 10.

Take this post as an inspirational "bump" wink

Hello Darkness, my old friend. I've come to speak with you again.

#100 2009-11-06 14:42:01

imraro

chris.griffith wrote:

I am getting a crash course on the arch packaging system.  I am working on those PKGBUILDs now.

Any news?

Board footer