You are not logged in.

#26 2009-10-29 13:00:56

upsidaisium
Website

Re: Suckless presentation tools?

re: pogeymanz
can't confirm here, as i don't have LyX installed--- but i *think* that LyX can use the beamer package to make slides with LaTeX. but yea, as timetrap mentioned, i don't think the LaTeX syntax is that difficult (but i guess it's tougher if you don't use it frequently enough to remember the syntax wink in that case, keep a reference handy and you'll be fine)

Last edited by upsidaisium (2009-10-29 13:01:28)

I've seen young people waste their time reading books about sensitive vampires. It's kinda sad. But you say it's not the end of the world... Well, maybe it is!

#27 2009-10-29 21:09:57

Ogion

Wow, +1 pandoc. Makes me want to take notes in a lecture right nao. big_smile

Ogion

(my-dotfiles)
"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
"Enlightenment is man's leaving his self-caused immaturity." - Immanuel Kant

#28 2009-10-30 01:45:59

upsidaisium
Website

pandoc's haskell requirement is a deal-breaker for me -- though it does seem like a nice app.

asciidoc is another option, maybe? it converts to html, pdf, etc (not sure about LaTeX).

I've seen young people waste their time reading books about sensitive vampires. It's kinda sad. But you say it's not the end of the world... Well, maybe it is!

#29 2009-10-30 01:56:27

skottish
Forum Fellow

upsidaisium wrote:

pandoc's haskell requirement is a deal-breaker for me -- though it does seem like a nice app.

Since GHC currently statically compiles everything, GHC and supporting cast may all be compile-time dependencies. If so, maybe someone has a repo with a binary that you can download?

#30 2009-10-30 13:29:00

Stalafin

I checked Pandoc.

Now I am trying to understand what exactly is so great about it... Why would I not just use LaTeX to do the same thing?

Alright, I get it... Pandoc uses a fairly straight forward way of markdown, rather than all those tags in LaTeX... but seriously now...
The only place I could really think of where it makes sense to use Pandoc is in a lecture, where I usually prefer a pen. For a presentation - why not just use LaTeX Beamer right away?

EDIT: Boy! Impress!ve is impressive! What a fantastic tool! I can just use take my presentation as it is and use it right away! Thanks a lot for this!!

Last edited by Stalafin (2009-10-30 13:35:58)

#31 2009-10-30 15:21:09

SiC

Stalafin wrote:

EDIT: Boy! Impress!ve is impressive! What a fantastic tool! I can just use take my presentation as it is and use it right away! Thanks a lot for this!!

Indeed I was similarly impressed with Impress!ve! smile

#32 2009-10-30 15:50:56

madalu

Stalafin wrote:

I checked Pandoc.

Now I am trying to understand what exactly is so great about it... Why would I not just use LaTeX to do the same thing?

Not everyone knows LaTeX. And the syntax for creating an S5 slideshow is very, very simple.

http://johnmacfarlane.net/pandoc/README … ith-pandoc

Alright, I get it... Pandoc uses a fairly straight forward way of markdown, rather than all those tags in LaTeX... but seriously now...
The only place I could really think of where it makes sense to use Pandoc is in a lecture, where I usually prefer a pen. For a presentation - why not just use LaTeX Beamer right away?

Agreed. If you want professional features or fine-grained control over the appearance of individual slides, than writing Beamer directly (however complex its syntax) is probably the best bet.

#33 2009-11-13 11:06:13

sweetandy
Website

COMPLETELY OFF-TOPIC:

This thread reminds me, anybody know of any software that could do something like those Windows 7 commecials with that five year old girl? I'm thinking whales using their blowholes and synth trumpet sounds. That's the kind of presentation I'd want to do.

EDIT: I'm talking bright colors.

Last edited by sweetandy (2009-11-13 11:07:50)

My MOM uses Arch Linux.

"Have you tried turning it off and turning it on again?"

#34 2009-12-07 07:56:38

fflarex

skottish wrote:
upsidaisium wrote:

Since GHC currently statically compiles everything, GHC and supporting cast may all be compile-time dependencies. If so, maybe someone has a repo with a binary that you can download?

I just made a submission to the AUR for just this reason. I don't have a repo for hosting the pre-built binaries though.

#35 2009-12-07 08:54:11

Zoranthus

+1 for LaTex (beamer package) if you plan to do anything typesetting-related at all.
I basically used the same presentation throughout my whole course of studies and just changed the contents.

#36 2009-12-07 09:31:32

dannytatom
Website

thayer wrote:

Umm...how about an (X)HTML page?  You can use markdown, it can output (x)html and any graphical (and textual!) web browser can render it...and it has virtually no dependencies.

Completely off topic, but can I have your Xdefaults for this?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cinderwick … 733391643/

dnyy in IRC & Urban Terror

Board footer