You are not logged in.

#1 2007-06-13 17:42:49

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Package Repository Mirrors

This comes up in the forums every once in a while.
Making a sticky.

Selecting and Configuring Arch Package Repository mirrors.
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mirrors

Last edited by fsckd (2012-03-11 19:08:34)

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#2 2009-02-10 06:03:10

waytin

Re: Package Repository Mirrors

The Taiwan mirror seems not active.
No iso, no testing......
I'm sad.....

常無欲以觀其妙,常有欲以觀其徼

#3 2009-10-07 05:45:01

xikyu46

lot of this list not up to date. the only one i found allways update only ftp.archlinux.org.

#4 2009-10-07 06:33:05

Allan
Pacman
Website

xikyu46 wrote:

lot of this list not up to date. the only one i found allways update only ftp.archlinux.org.

That is just like any other mirror and is usually not the most up to date...  and it is speed limited.

#5 2009-10-31 01:34:30

luiznetto

Hi everybody. I just installed Arch Linux for the first time, and this is my first post. I've used several Linux distros over the years, and I presently use Ubuntu, but I decided to try Arch Linux just for the hell of it. Well, during installation, something very unpleasant occurred. After configuring my wireless network and editing /etc/pacman.conf, I did

# pacman -Syu

After this, I tried to edit a file and noticed my vi text editor wasn't working any more. I know many people hate vi, but I was told when I started using Linux many years ago that it was installed by default in every Linux distro on earth, so that's why I decided to learn it. Now, to stop everything that I'm doing just to learn nano seemed grossly unfair, so I had no choice but abort the installation and start all over again. This time, though, when the time came to update my system, I did

# pacman -Syu --ignore vi

and this time it worked, my vi is working, so now I have an updated system but with an old vi. This is just to let you know that the new version of vi is totally buggy.

I chose a mirror in Norway, http://mirror.archlinux.no/ . After installation, I tried to install new packages, and got error messages, "package not found." Just now I looked at the mirror, and it isn't there any more; there is an ad instead! Isn't that ridiculous? Overall, though, I have a feeling that, as opposed to Ubuntu, trying to upgrade your packages here is a very risky business.

Best regards,

Luiz

#6 2009-10-31 02:45:01

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Doesn't it make more sense to link directly to the mirrorlist in the pacman-mirrorlist package?
http://repos.archlinux.org/wsvn/package … mirrorlist

That should always be the most up-to-date.

*edit*
Just saw the date of the OP. roll

Last edited by Xyne (2009-10-31 12:54:01)

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#7 2009-10-31 05:26:35

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

luiznetto wrote:

Hi everybody. I just installed Arch Linux for the first time, and this is my first post. I've used several Linux distros over the years, and I presently use Ubuntu, but I decided to try Arch Linux just for the hell of it. Well, during installation, something very unpleasant occurred. After configuring my wireless network and editing /etc/pacman.conf, I did

# pacman -Syu

After this, I tried to edit a file and noticed my vi text editor wasn't working any more. I know many people hate vi, but I was told when I started using Linux many years ago that it was installed by default in every Linux distro on earth, so that's why I decided to learn it. Now, to stop everything that I'm doing just to learn nano seemed grossly unfair, so I had no choice but abort the installation and start all over again. This time, though, when the time came to update my system, I did

# pacman -Syu --ignore vi

and this time it worked, my vi is working, so now I have an updated system but with an old vi. This is just to let you know that the new version of vi is totally buggy.

I chose a mirror in Norway, http://mirror.archlinux.no/ . After installation, I tried to install new packages, and got error messages, "package not found." Just now I looked at the mirror, and it isn't there any more; there is an ad instead! Isn't that ridiculous? Overall, though, I have a feeling that, as opposed to Ubuntu, trying to upgrade your packages here is a very risky business.

Best regards,

Luiz

Honestly,  you probably shouldn't use Arch.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#8 2009-10-31 18:14:09

luiznetto

Xyne wrote:

Doesn't it make more sense to link directly to the mirrorlist in the pacman-mirrorlist package?
http://repos.archlinux.org/wsvn/package … mirrorlist

That should always be the most up-to-date.

*edit*
Just saw the date of the OP. roll

That's not my point. My point is that the new version of vi is too buggy to be used, regadless of the mirror it is downloaded from.

Luiz

#9 2009-10-31 20:14:13

bernarcher
Forum Fellow

Note that  "vi" is not a featured down "vim" any more but a stand alone rewrite of the original vi editor. Thus the "buggy" appearance.

There are several threads covering this lately. Just search the forum.

To know or not to know ...
... the questions remain forever.

#10 2009-11-02 03:24:34

luiznetto

There are other bugs that affect Arch as well. For example, the "history" command has a very weird behavior. Sometimes it doesn't record my commands at all. I issue a command and then I do

# history

or

$ history

and the recent command(s) that I issued are not there at all! Or sometimes my commands are there, but in a totally scrambled order, totally different from the order in which I issued them! I find this behavior very funny. The up and down arrows to re-issue commands fail to register my latest commands as well.

Another thing that I find disappointing in Arch is the absence of Linux colors from the console. All other Linux distros that I know of have them. When I use Gnome Terminal as a normal user, I do get Linux colors; but if I switch to superuser and go to / , everything is black and white! I tried to install Konsole (which I prefer to Gnome Terminal), but this package is not in the repositories.

Well, after all, I only installed Arch for fun. I have two laptops; one is my faithful one, with Ubuntu; the other is an old used Dell Latitude D510 that I bought cheap from a guy from Craigslist just the other day. I installed Arch on this one. I came to Concord for the weekend (I live in San Francisco) and I brought it with me, but I also brought my Ubuntu Live CD just in case. And, almost on cue, Arch failed. I did something innocent, like setting the system clock to fall time using the GUI. When I tried to reboot, I got the message:

"Filesystem check failed. Please repair manually and reboot. Note that the root file system is currently mounted read-only. To remount it read-write type: mount -n -o remount,rw
When you exit the maintenance shell the system will reboot automatically."

I did as I was told, and it didn't work. Then I thought, omigawd, the system crashed. But I soon figured out what to do: using my Ubuntu live CD, I typed

# fsck -f -v  /dev/sda3

and luckily, it fixed the filesystem. Now it's working all right. But I wouldn't trust Arch to do serious work. For that I have my Ubuntu. But I'll continue playing with it.

Luiz

Last edited by luiznetto (2009-11-02 03:28:40)

#11 2009-11-02 03:37:37

Daenyth
Forum Fellow

luiznetto wrote:

There are other bugs that affect Arch as well. For example, the "history" command has a very weird behavior. Sometimes it doesn't record my commands at all. I issue a command and then I do

# history

or

$ history

and the recent command(s) that I issued are not there at all! Or sometimes my commands are there, but in a totally scrambled order, totally different from the order in which I issued them! I find this behavior very funny. The up and down arrows to re-issue commands fail to register my latest commands as well.

This is most likely due to your history settings for bash.

Another thing that I find disappointing in Arch is the absence of Linux colors from the console. All other Linux distros that I know of have them. When I use Gnome Terminal as a normal user, I do get Linux colors; but if I switch to superuser and go to / , everything is black and white!

You need to learn to configure your own system, Arch doesn't come preconfigured. It lets you set it up exactly the way you want instead.

I tried to install Konsole (which I prefer to Gnome Terminal), but this package is not in the repositories.

All of KDE is packaged and available in the official repos.

Well, after all, I only installed Arch for fun. I have two laptops; one is my faithful one, with Ubuntu; the other is an old used Dell Latitude D510 that I bought cheap from a guy from Craigslist just the other day. I installed Arch on this one. I came to Concord for the weekend (I live in San Francisco) and I brought it with me, but I also brought my Ubuntu Live CD just in case. And, almost on cue, Arch failed. I did something innocent, like setting the system clock to fall time using the GUI. When I tried to reboot, I got the message:

"Filesystem check failed. Please repair manually and reboot. Note that the root file system is currently mounted read-only. To remount it read-write type: mount -n -o remount,rw
When you exit the maintenance shell the system will reboot automatically."

I did as I was told, and it didn't work. Then I thought, omigawd, the system crashed. But I soon figured out what to do: using my Ubuntu live CD, I typed

# fsck -f -v  /dev/sda3

and luckily, it fixed the filesystem. Now it's working all right. But I wouldn't trust Arch to do serious work. For that I have my Ubuntu. But I'll continue playing with it.

Luiz

Learn to configure your system clock automatically based on your time zone instead of manually messing with it, and that error probably wouldn't have happened. It's also not something limited to Arch. This is your misconfiguration issue, not the fault of the distro.

Arch really doesn't seem like it will be a satisfying fit for you, and I really don't think it's worth your time at this point if you're incapable of configuring things on your own or solving your own problems.

Lastly, this is not the thread to be looking for tech support in. Even if it is now obsolete.

#12 2009-11-02 07:13:22

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Locking.

Board footer