You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-29 12:00:57

iBertus

[SOLVED] GRUB2 w/ LVM over MDRAID 10

Am I asking for too much? I really want to simplify my partitioning scheme and have just one partition on each disk and a single MDRAID 10, f2 array across the disks. Then I want to install LVM onto that and boot the system using GRUB2.

This should be possible, but I worked for hours last night trying to get GRUB2 to work and it doesn't. I can't even manage to get it to detect grub. My BIOS just complains that it cannot locate a bootable disk.

I tried to install GRUB2 chrooting into my install and then running 'grub-install /dev/md0' and that reports back that it was successful and that no errors occurred. My partitions were created using cfdisk and do begin at sector 63. So, it should be possible to embed core.img into the gap.

My grub.cfg is the basic one that ships with the GRUB2 package with the addition of insmods for raid, mdraid and lvm. I would have thought that if GRUB2 were installed at all, even with a bad configuration, that the BIOS would not display the boot error and instead a GRUB2 error would be displayed.

Has anyone been able to get GRUB2 working in such a configuration? If so, how?

I've also tried 'grub-install '(md0)'', 'grub-install --root-directory=/boot /dev/mapper/arch-root', and also installing grub manually to each '(hdX)'. Nothing. Is it possible that my BIOS isn't compatible with GRUB2? I known that it has issues booting CDs with GRUB and I have to use the isolinux ISOs to install Arch.

Last edited by iBertus (2009-10-31 06:33:39)

#2 2009-10-31 06:33:24

iBertus

Re: [SOLVED] GRUB2 w/ LVM over MDRAID 10

Changing to solved. I was stupid and didn't flag any partition on my drives as bootable when installing. I've managed to get by with not doing this in the past, but doing this fixed all of my problems with GRUB2. It now boots fine from my LVM root partition on top of MDRAID10,F2. grub-mkconfig doesn't dectect my linux install but the packaged config works when the obvious parts are changed and the necessary modules added.

#3 2009-10-31 07:03:56

mikesd
Website

iBertus wrote:

I was stupid and didn't flag any partition on my drives as bootable when installing.

Done that. I don't think grub or linux itself needs that flag set but my sata controller does otherwise the same thing happens.

#4 2009-10-31 13:40:01

iBertus

Yeah, I think the motherboard BIOS doesn't detect the drive as bootable if this flag isn't set. It just says "No bootable device detected!" and then starts trying to network boot.

Board footer