You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-01 06:33:24

ems5311

External HD problems...

Hey guys,
I'm pretty new to Arch, just installed it last week, and I've run into some problems with my external HDD.

First off, it won't show up when I load HAL, so I manually mount it with the mount command (entry in fstab and such).  As a result, it's a read-only file system and I can't figure out how to get to be able to write to it.  I've tried setting umask and stuff, but that doesn't seem to work.

The other problem is some of the files that are on it don't even show up.  In one album I have, half of the songs don't appear to be present at all.  I know they are because they show up in windows.  Anyone know what could be causing this and how I could fix it?

Thanks in advance

#2 2009-11-01 06:49:55

1LordAnubis
Website

Re: External HD problems...

Hmm, is your user added to the optical and storage groups? Do any errors pop up? If so, did you see this?
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/HAL … ion_Denied

Also, what is the filesystem on the drive?

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.
-Benjamin Franklin
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-George Bernard Shaw

#3 2009-11-01 07:24:29

robertp

Re: External HD problems...

I assume the filesystem is NTFS (very common when Windows is also used). For me this configuration works without any problems:
Entry in fstab like this:

LABEL=box1 /mnt/box1 ntfs-3g locale=pl_PL.UTF-8,gid=ntfswrite,umask=002,noauto 0 0

and groups of the user set like this:

disk wheel dbus audio optical storage users ntfswrite robert

But the actual values for your system may differ. And read document about HAL 1LordAnubis pointed.

Also run (from Windows) disc check for each partition as there may be some errors and check if hal service is run at boot.

Board footer