You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-29 15:22:26

Netsu

Wine acting strange

I was once for a reason I don't remember tempted to install winetricks, and since then I have the feeling that my wine isn't working as it should. I tried removing winetricks directories, I tried removing Wine and installing it again (through pacman) but when I for example want to get Guild Wars running, this is what happens:

1. I put the cd in and choose 'install', the program connects with arena.net, downloads something and then the window disappears but the program is still there, eating some RAM.
2. Now there is a Gw.exe in my wine directory, when I run it the app connect and download some content then the window disappears but the program is still there, eating some RAM.
3. I do it again and this time it dowloads 200mb of content after which the game runs, but in crappy quality (this might be due to me having only integrated intel graphics) so I exit.
4. I am not able to make Gw.exe run again, the window disappears but the program is still there, eating some RAM.

So I have two questions:
Have anyone experienced something similar?
How can I make sure that my wine is running like a fresh install (no winetricks, no nothing).

My specs are: 2.6.31-arch i686, E5500 dual core, 2GB DDR2, GM31 intel chipset.

My Elegant Pattern GTK theme.
My game development blog, now on a new site.

'~/.xinitrc is an Archer's DE' - moljac024

#2 2009-10-30 02:56:15

machoo02

Re: Wine acting strange

#1 - I don't play guild wars, so I can't comment on this
#2 - remove your ~/.wine directory, then run winecfg to re-create it.  This will reset Wine to its default configuration, and you will need to reinstall any programs that you've previously installed through it.

#3 2009-10-30 03:16:53

FrozenFox
Website

Look in winecfg under the libraries tab before you move/remove the ~/.wine folder. Winetools often adds DLL exceptions/overrides to run windows DLLs over the native ones and it often causes problems with other stuff. The dll "rpcrt4" especially gave me trouble. Try removing some of the dll overrides. If you find a culprit dll,  others may find it helpful if you tell which it was.

Last edited by FrozenFox (2009-10-30 03:18:42)

#4 2009-10-30 06:55:09

Dheart

You won't be able to enjoy GW with intel graphic's card...

My victim you are meant to be
No, you cannot hide nor flee
You know what I'm looking for
Pleasure your torture, I will endure...

#5 2009-11-01 09:48:36

Netsu

I tried removing the .wine directory and running winecfg to remake it, but nothing has changed. But oh well, I have my girlfriend's laptop with win7 for games since yesterday smile

My Elegant Pattern GTK theme.
My game development blog, now on a new site.

'~/.xinitrc is an Archer's DE' - moljac024

Board footer