You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-28 20:02:35

Carlwill
Website

New Install Has Very Small CLI Text

I built a new system from scratch today and noticed something strange. When it booted into runlevel 3 (no GUI), the test was very small. I don't understand why or what cause this. The font is simply annoying and too small for me to read. It happens 1/2 through the Arch boot process. It changes from normal sized CLI font to very tiny font. I also notice when I try to use 'vi' to open a file, it tells me the terminal is too wide. I think  this is due to the font or something. I simply installed a base system group and selected all the default packages.

**Correction - the "Terminal Too Wide" message is only in 'vi' and not 'vim'.

Any ideas?

./

#2 2009-10-28 20:05:51

egan

Re: New Install Has Very Small CLI Text

This is called kernel mode setting, where the framebuffer can be displayed at native resolution. To get rid of it, append 'nomodeset' to the end of your kernel line in /boot/grub/menu.lst.

#3 2009-10-28 20:12:57

Carlwill
Website

So I am confused. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? I can edit my menu.lst file and add that to the end of the kernel line parameter but I would like to understand it. I have never seen any other system do it before and I am guessing it happened to me this time since I installed GRUB manually for RAID via the Arch Wiki.

./

#4 2009-10-28 20:36:28

hbekel

KMS support has been added to the kernel just recently, which is probably why you haven't seen it before. It's basically a good thing, because now the video mode switching (e.g. when you switch from X to a text console) is supposed to be much faster, since it's handled by the kernel directly. It's a new thing, and not yet supported by all video drivers, but it will also help to make stuff like resume/suspend work better in the future.

#5 2009-10-28 21:12:23

keenerd
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

Why not just use a nicer font?  Install terminus-font and edit rc.conf.
Look for the consolefont line, change it to something like this:

CONSOLEFONT="ter-120n.psf.gz"

That way you get a high resolution framebuffer and an easy to read font.  Once you try this you'll never want to go back to the old ugly no-mode console.

#6 2009-11-01 06:12:51

unregistered

egan wrote:

This is called kernel mode setting, where the framebuffer can be displayed at native resolution. To get rid of it, append 'nomodeset' to the end of your kernel line in /boot/grub/menu.lst.

hey, the font remains even after appending the line to menu.lst. Firefox, the login screen, acroread, xchm and a host of other programs still use the smaller font instead

#7 2009-11-01 11:45:16

pyokagan

hey, the font remains even after appending the line to menu.lst. Firefox, the login screen, acroread, xchm and a host of other programs still use the smaller font instead

Check if your screen resolution(s) are properly detected.

If it is, I would think that there is a problem with your DPI settings.

Board footer