You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-01 12:36:39

Caio

Clock problems

Hey,

I've been using Arch for some months now and enjoying it. A month or so ago, I turned the computer on and the clock was off for three hours. No problem, I thought - I just set the date and saved it to the hardware clock. The next time I booted, however, I got an error saying that the last write time to one of my disks was in the future. I logged in as root, ran fsck, rebooted and the error was gone. The clock, however, was back to the wrong time. The error, I realized, had probably been caused by me booting into Windows (where the clock is right) and writing something to a partition that I also use on Arch.

I tried searching on Google and found someone suggesting OpenNTPD to fix the clock. I installed it, set it to run as a daemon and it fixed the hour, but that the error now shows up sometimes even when I haven't been to Windows (and often when I have). The BIOS clock is right, and disabling OpenNTPD puts it back three hours again and makes the error stop happening.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

#2 2009-11-01 12:41:16

vacant

Re: Clock problems

Do use specify "UTC" or "localtime" in /etc/rc.conf?
Do you start openntpd after your network connection has been properly established and connected?

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=83086

Last edited by vacant (2009-11-01 12:41:51)

#3 2009-11-01 13:03:41

SoleSoul

Re: Clock problems

Set the hardware clock to the correct time and then delete the file /var/lib/hwclock/adjtime
This solution came up here on the forum a few times. I did it and it fixed my problem. Don't worry about the file, it will be recreated automatically.

Board footer