You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-01 17:28:21

ozar

Kernel issue reading drive partitions and data?

Hey guys, I hope some of you can help with this.  I don't post problems often, but feel that I finally must do so in this case.  I've searched, and apologise if I've missed any related posts.  Now to the problem...

Ever since the 2.6.31.x kernels have hit the repo, I've been having issues with certain partitions and external drives being mounted and the data on the drives being read.

With all the 2.6.30.x kernels and earlier releases, I could mount my external USB drives and they would auto mount and the data read and show up in Nautilus or Dolphin almost instantly.  With all the new 2.6.31.x kernels, it takes a few seconds for the drives to auto mount, then about 40 seconds of hang time for the file manager window to open up showing all the files.  This happens with Nautilus, or Dolphin, depending on whether I'm on my Gnome or KDE box.  Reverting back to the previous kernel makes things work normally again.

Out of curiosity, I tried the latest version of Ubuntu to see what would happen since it's using the newer kernel, but things are working fine again there, so it has to be a difference in the kernel they use, or there is something wrong with my configuration under Arch.

I've already filed a bug report on this about a month or so back and was told that it's probably an upstream issue with the kernel:

http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/16655

Do any of you know what might be happening with this, or can you confirm the issue on your end?  I don't like Ubuntu at all, so won't be switching to that.  I really want to get my Arch boxes running properly again, but with the newer kernel.

Thanks for any tips!  smile

Last edited by ozar (2009-11-01 17:29:04)

oz

Board footer