You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-01 22:15:44

raptir

Two snes9x questions

First, I noticed that the snes9x Arch package does not create a configuration file. Where does snes9x look for a configuration file?

Second, whenever I stretch the window, the game screen completely fills the new window with no regard for maintaining aspect ratio. Is there a way to force it to maintain its aspect ratio? Or even just assign it a larger screen size to begin with?

Last edited by raptir (2009-11-02 02:03:21)

#2 2009-11-01 22:20:57

IncredibleLaser

Re: Two snes9x questions

Where does snes9x look for a configuration file?

It's $HOME/.snes9x/snes9x.xml

I prefer snes9x-gtk over the original package. It allows for easy configuration and might just be what you are looking for, as it has some features I miss from the original snes9x (for example fullscreen as non-root).

#3 2009-11-02 02:04:22

raptir

I definitely like snes9x-gtk, thanks for the recommendation. It does everything I want it to. Unfortunately, I'm not quite comfortable enough to compile it myself, but the AUR version will work until it updates.

#4 2009-11-02 03:08:59

Daenyth
Forum Fellow

The arch-games repo has snes9x-gtk if you like smile

#5 2009-11-03 01:24:26

raptir

I like snes9x-gtk so far, but I'm having a couply minor issues playing Zelda. First, the sound seems somewhat off (perhaps I'm just spoiled by the 100% emulation of the VC version), is there any way to improve that? I'm using the default settings on an eee PC. Second, when I'm hit, I will often either not flash at all or completely disappear until I become solid again. Any fix?

#6 2009-11-03 01:27:40

moljac024

Why not use zsnes ? Isn't that the best snes emulator around ?

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#7 2009-11-03 02:02:32

raptir

I've tried zsnes before. It's decent, but I've found that snes9x (at least on Windows) is much closer to the original console.

#8 2009-11-03 02:38:41

e_tank

raptir wrote:

First, the sound seems somewhat off (perhaps I'm just spoiled by the 100% emulation of the VC version), is there any way to improve that? I'm using the default settings on an eee PC.

set the audio playback rate to 48000 hz and make sure gaussian interpolation and echo effects are turned on.  if you still have problems try a different sound driver, sdl sound seems to work best for me.
the current snes9x sound core isn't as accurate as other emulators, such as zsnes, but bearoso (author of the snes9x gtk port) is in the process of converting it to use blargg's cycle accurate spc700 sound core.  although it won't be able to be used in a cycle accurate way with snes9x, sound quality should still be much improved over the current implementation.

raptir wrote:

Second, when I'm hit, I will often either not flash at all or completely disappear until I become solid again. Any fix?

shouldn't happen, try adjusting your graphic settings.  set snes9x-gtk to use opengl under hardware acceleration and make sure you have scaling filters disabled (at least until you determine the problem).  note you'll need to have hardware acceleration enabled in x for this to work properly, otherwise it use opengl via software which is even slower than the emulators software scalers.

#9 2009-11-03 03:57:23

raptir

How can I make sure that hardware acceleration is enabled in X? The AIGLX Wiki just says to "configure Xorg to enable X." How do I go about doing that? It does seem to run a little better with hardware acceleration on, but I want to make sure.

#10 2009-11-03 04:32:34

e_tank

this should tell you if direct rendering is enabled:

glxinfo | grep -i direct

i think the eee pc's use intel graphics chips, i've never used one so i don't know how exactly they should be configured in x for optimal usage.  i know a lot of changes are going on in the linux graphics stack right now so i'm guessing in terms of performance YMMV considerably in either a good or bad direction over the next several months or so.

these pages in the arch wiki might help:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Intel_Graphics
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg

might want to look at the steps about running x without an xorg.conf configuration file (or with a minimal one), x should be able to configure itself properly.

#11 2009-11-03 05:23:17

raptir

glxinfo shows direct rendering enabled. I was using X without an xorg.conf, I just wasn't sure if it would have configured properly. I had some bad experiences with an old laptop not having its hardware detected properly.

Edit: With hardware acceleration on, it now just makes Link transparent for the entire time when he should be flashing. Not a huge deal, but if it's a simple configuration error I'd love to know. I have Enable Transparency, Sync to V-blank, and Use Pixel Buffer Objects checked.

Last edited by raptir (2009-11-03 06:11:47)

#12 2009-11-03 06:56:57

e_tank

are you sure you're not just misinterpreting what you're seeing on screen?  when link gets hit the sprite flashes on and off each frame, when displayed properly it is supposed to appear as if it's transparent.  it could be that you weren't noticing the correct effect before due to software scalers not being fast enough to refresh with each video frame or before the vertical retrace.  like most emulators snes9x generates graphics per scan line and then copies the entire video frame to memory for each update (at 60 fps).  using opengl to render the frame improves performance by allowing the graphics chip to handle the scaling and transfer which frees up the cpu.  in other words what method you use to output the graphics, either opengl or software, shouldn't affect how the sprites the snes uses are being rendered on screen.

if you want to be sure you can go into the settings shortcuts tab and assign pause a key, such as p on your keyboard (note this pause is not the same as the one you're using as your start button).  when link gets hit press the pause key you just assigned and it will freeze the emulator in place leaving the last frame displayed on the screen, from there you should see if link is either displayed fully opaque, or not at all.

if he's still transparent when the emulator is paused try changing the pixel format that opengl is using under pixel buffer format on the setting display tab.

#13 2009-11-03 07:03:52

Lich

I use zsnes because I find it better than snes9x, and it comes with it's own "vintage" UI.

Archlinux | ratpoison + evilwm | urxvtc | tmux

#14 2009-11-03 17:55:07

raptir

Switching to 32-bit pixel buffering seems to have fixed the problem. Thanks!

#15 2009-11-08 21:53:25

raptir

Okay, here's one new problem. I'm now having issues with keyboard input. The input itself works fine, but it causes lag. If I stand still and don't do anything, or if I use a joypad, the game runs fine. If I use the keyboard, I get a lot of lag and stuttering. Any idea what I could do to fix that, or figure out what the problem is? I've played Cave Story in Wine with no lag on my keyboard fine...

EDIT: snes9x from the command-line and zsnes both run fine with the keyboard...

EDIT2: Compiling the new version of snes9x-gtk from AUR seems to have fixed it. I don't know if this is due to the new version or having compiled it.

Last edited by raptir (2009-11-09 04:01:40)

#16 2010-05-11 07:01:40

Nagian

I have only one short question... Where can i get a manual for the configuration-file snes9x.xml?

Board footer