You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-01 22:00:37

Xi0N
Website

Acer aspire 5670: Performance issues

I have now kdemod installed, but this has been happening on kde and gnome, so i think it is because of the damn ati video card.

The point is that the system gets completely frozen for some minutes, and then all goes back to normal during some seconds again......
Could it be some issues with the video driver? WHat can i try? Of course, composition is deactivated.
If you reboot the system it seems to be ok for the first minutes, then you can see how the memory usage and the processor usage increases constantly, even when you are doing nothing.....

Any suggestions would be apreciated.

Thanks!!!

#2 2009-11-03 18:23:09

MadTux

Re: Acer aspire 5670: Performance issues

What video driver do you use, open or proprietary? Do you run with or without xorg.conf? If you use xorg.conf, it could help to post it. Do you use KMS (kernel mode setting). Personally, I had problems with an ATI card and KMS, so I disabled it and my problems went away. See wiki article on how to disable it:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ATI … _.28KMS.29

On the other hand, some people report performance improvements using KMS, so you may want to set it up according to the wiki article and see if it helps.

Did you look into, e.g. htop, during times of high CPU usage?

#3 2009-11-03 20:37:34

Xi0N
Website

Re: Acer aspire 5670: Performance issues

I use th open one without xorg.conf

I will take a look over the option of disabling the kms... thanks!!

Board footer