You are not logged in.

#1 2005-02-03 16:43:26

FUBAR
Website

Anyone around with (ancient) AlphaServer experience?

I've got an AlphaServer 1000A gathering dust and I'd like to turn it into something useful. Unfortunately, it's only got 64MB RAM and a 266MHz 21064A CPU. It does have a fancy RAID-controller and a 6 disk hotswappable SCSI RAID-array which is why I was thinking of turning it into a fileserver.

6 x 4.3GB isn't a lot, so I want to replace the current mainboard with a simple Intel ZX440 board with a Celeron 466 on it. This way I get IDE-controllers and I can put the SCSI-controller in there aswell.

I've been looking at the case and its layout and it looks a lot like ATX: the ports (serial / parallel) and connectors aren't aligned exactly the same, but it shouldn't be too hard to replace the mainboards (at first sight). Now my question: can I use the power supply in the AlphaServer to run the Intel-mainboard? The supply has several ATX alike powerconnectors (whereas regular power supplies only have one of those). Unfortunately, the colored wirings aren't the same and I wouldn't want to kill my Celeron-board.
Does anyone know?

A bus station is where a bus stops.
A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk I have a workstation.

#2 2005-02-03 19:19:54

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: Anyone around with (ancient) AlphaServer experience?

what's the output spec'd at on the alpha's powersupply - it should be listed on the side (like X volts @ Y amps) or possibly in a manual... the type of connectors really don't matter, but what you want to make sure is that the outputs are equivalent to ATX specs... if not you could attach some mini switched transformers to regulate it down (or up even) or just buy a new supply....

#3 2005-02-03 19:44:36

FUBAR
Website

In the manual it says it's a 450W supply. I'm still looking for schematics of the pins. I'll try and remove the supply from the case to see if there are any more figures on it.

#4 2005-02-03 20:46:46

FUBAR
Website

I've decided not to swap the mainboard for an x86-model: the AlphaServer is too old. It was made around the introduction of the ATX standard. According to Tom's Hardware, those power supplies aren't compatible with newer ATX standards.

Now I'm going to try to swap the mainboard from my 400MHz AlphaServer 800 with the one in the AS1000A.

Does anyone know if that'll work? big_smile

Board footer