You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-05 00:04:57

masterkoppa

Boot Lag

Lately I've been reading all the hype on extremely fast boot times for netbooks. I have a Aspire One with arch installed and decided to implement what I had learned reading some articles. Currently I have the system booting in about 15 secs to agetty and around 20 to KDE. Today I heard about a tool called bootchart. When I ran boot chart I can only help but notice that there is a 5 second gap unaccounted for. The first 5 seconds the system apparently doesn't do anything. I also noticed that the daemon started after this time. What happens in those 5 seconds and how can I speed that up?

Any help with this gap of time is greatly appreciated,

Masterkoppa

For reference heres the bootchart

bootchart-thumb.png

#2 2009-11-05 00:13:20

takedown

Re: Boot Lag

look at the botton of the picture (kthreadd, khelper, kseriod, ata/0, ata/1, etc).
I think is the initrd

#3 2009-11-05 13:00:52

masterkoppa

Re: Boot Lag

After messing with initcipio I got the boot down by one second on this gap of information. I suspect that the kernel image compression is to blame for the rest of that time. What format is best for time. Im looking to shave time everywhere posible so any aditional comments with time saving techniques would be greatly appreciated.

Board footer