You are not logged in.

#1 2005-02-03 21:23:06

Luis Q. R.

Some questions.

I compile my own kernel from source (2.6.10 right now) because of some issues of the past (like the Nvidia drivers) and because I was used to do so. Now I'm considering using the Arch 2.6 stock kernel, but I need to know some things before:

1 - Will the modules load on demand, or will I have to add them manually to modules.conf?

2 - If I try to install or compile some program, and it asks for the path to the kernel source to build a module, how do I get a proper kernel source for the current Arch stock kernel?

That is all, and thanks in advance.

#2 2005-02-03 22:05:04

sarah31
Website

Re: Some questions.

Luis Q. R. wrote:

I compile my own kernel from source (2.6.10 right now) because of some issues of the past (like the Nvidia drivers) and because I was used to do so. Now I'm considering using the Arch 2.6 stock kernel, but I need to know some things before:

1 - Will the modules load on demand, or will I have to add them manually to modules.conf?

You are in control of what modules load that is the whole idea. Just plop a module into rc.conf MODULES=() array or if you want to load and unload them manually then do so.

2 - If I try to install or compile some program, and it asks for the path to the kernel source to build a module, how do I get a proper kernel source for the current Arch stock kernel?

one thing you can do is use ABS and compile the kernel but do not dump the source folder afterwards and just move it to /usr/src/whateverthedirectorynameisforthestockkernel that way you will have all of the headers and such that you will need but most commonly needed headers and such ar included.

That is all, and thanks in advance.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#3 2005-02-04 00:23:05

Luis Q. R.

You are in control of what modules load that is the whole idea. Just plop a module into rc.conf MODULES=() array or if you want to load and unload them manually then do so.

The 2.6 kernel has an option to load modules on demand, so the idea was that modules would be loaded automatically when the programs ask for them, without having to edit any *.conf file. But after reading your answer, looks like that's impossible.

Anyway, it's enough to add the module in rc.conf to load it at boot, I don't have to write entries in modules.conf, modprobe.conf or devfsd.conf, right?

one thing you can do is use ABS and compile the kernel but do not dump the source folder afterwards and just move it to /usr/src/whateverthedirectorynameisforthestockkernel that way you will have all of the headers and such that you will need but most commonly needed headers and such ar included.

Are you are talking about what is written in this link?

http://wiki2.archlinux.org/index.php/Cu … 20later%29

Looks like a tough task.

That is all, and thanks in advance. [|quote]

Was that a wrong use of grammar? Sorry, you know I'm not an anglosaxon.

Hey Sarah, do you live in America or Europe? I'd like to meet you some day.

#4 2005-02-04 04:31:49

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

sarah31 wrote:

Or better yet, just point to /usr/src/linux-$kernelver-ARCH (for 2.6.10, linux-2.6.10-ARCH).  Every file that's needed for most module builds should be in there.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

Board footer