You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-04 14:31:26

hatten
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

Arch on Gecko Edubook? Recompiling liveusb-kernel with x586 support

The gecko edubook is a very special computer, and it doesn't use a 'normal' cpu. When i tried booting the liveusb it told me:

This kernel requires the following features not present on the CPU:
cmov
Unable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU

There's various information on the website, www.norhtec.com but i found this in the manual:

The Edubook uses a Xcore86 which is a x586 compatible system with added "media port"
extensions. The Edubook supports both Linux and Windows XP. Windows XP will require drivers
for the integrated NIC, sound and video. These drivers are either preinstalled or provided on CD that
comes with the package. You can request drivers from support@xcore86.com.
Xcore has tweaked some distributions to work with various Linux distributions. Among the
distributions that have been ported or tested on the Edubook are Ubuntu, Edubuntu, Puppy Linux,
WattOS, Zen Linux and Debian. Most Linux distributions can be made to run on the Edubook but it
will require that the kernel is compiled to support x586. Newer kernels will have support for the
integrated r6040 NIC but older kernels will have to be recompiled. A patch is required for the kernel
to see the audio driver.
Xcore is Interested to work with developers and maintainers of Linux or other x86 operating
systems to assure that the Xcore86 is supported. For additional information, write
support@xcore86.com.

How do i recompile our kernel to support x586? And how do i get that onto an USB stick?

SPECIFICATIONS
               Fanless 1Ghz Xcore86 Device on Chip.
CPU
               Ami BIOS
BIOS
               512MB DDR2
RAM
               1024 x 600 LED back lit LCD, 15 pin VGA
Display
               output (1280 x 1024 x 16 bit).
               3 x USB 2.0 external, 1 x USB 2.0 Internal
USB
               (for WIFI, CDMA, 3G, GPS or other
               embedded module).
               HD Audio input and output, integrated
Sound
               microphone and stereo loudspeakers.
               100 to 240 AC (no external adapter). Power
Power
               Draw only 6.5 watts. Power available, 15
               watts.
               8 x AA NiMH batteries. 2000 maH standard.
Batteries
               Up to four hours per charge.
               2 intenral SD, Optional 2.5 inch IDE hard
Storage
               disk.

They have got WattOS, a variant of ubuntu, running on it, and I've asked them what they did in order to get it to work.

Last edited by hatten (2009-11-05 18:47:42)

#2 2009-11-05 18:46:11

hatten
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

Re: Arch on Gecko Edubook? Recompiling liveusb-kernel with x586 support

This is what i will try to do, but there's probably a better/easier way of doing it

Booting livecd/usb on my computer (or installing the install program on my arch install), installing on the gecko's SD card, chroot to the SD card and recompile the kernel with x586 support and cross my fingers.

Now is just the problem, I have never chrooted anything or recompiled a single kernel in my life, and judging by some google searches it doesn't seem that common to recompile for x586. (Not a single hit with my parameters). Bet you can guess that I've never patched (O_O) a kernel either.

This is starting to get complicated >_<

#3 2009-11-05 19:21:22

karol
Archivist

Re: Arch on Gecko Edubook? Recompiling liveusb-kernel with x586 support

Board footer