You are not logged in.

#1 2005-02-04 06:28:46

skoal
Website

"Mouse Free" Firefox

Does anyone know of a Firefox extension which gives you total keyboard navigation?

I"ve searched through most of their extensions, but can't seem to find one. I'm looking for something which allows for keyboard navigation, with a strong influence from the "vi" style of navigation.

1. For scrolling up/down/left/right, SHIFT+h/j/k/l.

2. For navigating links, h/j/k/l. That's the tough part, since I don't know how you would do that across frames, not to mention recognizing links in relation to eachother instead of having a "typewriter" like "carriage return" when pressing down.

3. To enter a link, RETURN.

Basically, I want to get rid of using this dumb mouse. If I could superglue my fingers to the keyboard, I would.

If you know of such an extension, please let me know. If one of you smart guys wants to make a million dollars, write the extension and I'll paypal you the funds directly into your account.

#2 2005-02-04 13:25:22

zezaz
Website

Re: "Mouse Free" Firefox

skoal wrote:

Basically, I want to get rid of using this dumb mouse. If I could superglue my fingers to the keyboard, I would.

Sorry if that is something you already know, but there is already some raw support for keyboard navigation in Firefox smile

When i really want to stick to my keyboard, i use the CTRL-F shortcut (or even the more vi-esque '/')  to find the string matching the text of the link i want to go to. When that string is highlighted (even partly), hitting RETURN is like clicking on the link.

Alt+Cursor left and Alt+Cursor right let you go back and forward links. PageUp and PageDown work as expected, as do cursor keys. Home and End bring you to the beginning and end of page respectively.

Of course this does not match exactly your "vi-compliant(tm)" navigation request, but that can let you wait more patiently for mister Million Dollar man wink

PS: TAB lets you go to the next hyperlink/control. Shift+TAB sends you to the previous control. Even across different frames AFAIK.

#3 2005-02-04 15:06:29

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

yeah I noticed that "/" opens the find box in firefox... which is great...

I would like to add that I would find this useful as well, as firefox is just about the only thing i use my mouse for now-a-days... sometimes I tab through links and things, however tab will cycle through all widgets on the page - textboxes, links, buttons, etc...

I'll look around and see if i can come up with anything... I think link cycling is the only thing missing...

#4 2005-02-04 15:23:43

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

wow, F7 enters "caret browsing mode" which gives you a cursor to move around...

also, F6 and Shift+F6 cycle between frames

Ctrl+Tab and Ctrl+<tab number> cycle tabs

Alt+Left goes "Back" and Alt+Right goes "Forward"

Alt+Home goes to home page

Ctrl+T opens a new tab....

There has to be a way to open a link in a tab in caret browsing mode.... I'll find it

#5 2005-02-04 17:16:54

Gullible Jones

Is there a way to change the keystrokes that trigger actions? I hate it when typing / or ' opens the Find bar... Any way to make it respond to ctrl-f only?

#6 2005-02-04 18:16:34

zezaz
Website

phrakture wrote:

Ctrl+T opens a new tab....

There has to be a way to open a link in a tab in caret browsing mode.... I'll find it

I believe Shift+Enter and CTRL+Enter might interest you smile

PS: another very useful one:  CTRL-W closes current tab (current window if it has only one tab).

#7 2005-02-04 19:22:43

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

ah yes, Ctrl+Enter opens a new tab from a link in caret mode

#8 2005-02-06 11:26:57

skoal
Website

I think the best feature I noticed in firefox, by accident of course, was in re-sizing text.  It really doesn't pertain to my original post, but you can hold down the "ctrl" button while moving your scroll wheel.

The best part about that is not having to change the "minimal font size" setting in the "Preferences" menu.  Furthermore, it doesn't affect every new firefox window that follows the one you just changed, and it doesn't persist for all future firefox sessions, which is not the case by using the "Preferences" dialog.  I don't think the "ctrl" + "-"/"=" has the same effect either.  It may, but I no longer use it anyway.

#9 2005-02-06 12:19:33

scottro
Website

In regular or carat browsing mode, you can have a single click open a link in a tab by doing the following.

In firefox go to about:config

Look for browser.tabs.showSingleWindowModePrefs

(you can get it to it by just typing singlewindow which should bring it up.)

It's set to false.  Right click and choose toggle.
That will change it to true.
Go to Edit==>preferences==>advanced==> tabbed browsing.  You'll now have the option to force links that open new windows to open in
You can choose new tab.  This will work in both carat browsing and normal mode.

#10 2005-02-17 12:01:27

Dreameen

It'd be cool if the caret mode browsing wasn't disabled at every load of new page. Maybe there's a way to enable it permamently..It'd be even better if it remembered the position of the cursor when you for example go back(Alt+left_arrow).

Maybe I'll just file a feature request for all those like browsing the internet without mouse. 8)

Board footer