You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-07 22:10:31

dcc24

CPU Undervolting problem

I have a ThinkPad T61p with a T7700 CPU. I've followed the undervolting thread and the PHC articles in the wiki, but when I execute "linux-phc-optimize", the script lowers the VID all the way down to 0, but the system never crashes. Someone suggested that this could actually be a good thing, that my CPU can work with only the base voltage (~700 mV) at the highest frequency. That sounded too good to be true.

So I've tested it with echoing half the default values to /proc/sys/something/.../cpu0/... and the system completely froze. The picture remained on the screen, but I've lost all control. It needed a hard reboot and some fsck's for fs corruption.

So, what do you think is wrong? Any suggestions?

It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. (Mark Twain)

My AUR packages

#2 2009-11-07 23:00:48

ammon

Re: CPU Undervolting problem

Dont use linux-phc script. I think it uses only one core, so it is not good for C2D. Rather lower freq step by step. And use your lap, as you do everyday. If you notice lags/slowdowns/fs errors you know you find your proc maximum low.

#3 2009-11-08 07:45:26

dcc24

Re: CPU Undervolting problem

Yes, it only uses one core, but if you open up another terminal and run "burnMMX" it also uses the second core. I'll try to lower it step by step though.

It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. (Mark Twain)

My AUR packages

Board footer