You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-06 09:59:19

Alp

PulseAudio Null Output

My sound suddenly stopped to work properly. In pavucontrol i only get "Null Output" as available output stream. In the following you see my configs (some output is in german, sorry for that):

~/.asoundrc

pcm.pulse {
    type pulse
}
ctl.pulse {
    type pulse
}

pcm.!default {
    type pulse
}
ctl.!default {
    type pulse
}

/etc/rc.conf - MODULES array

MODULES=(forcedeth slhc !usblp !snd_pcsp loop vboxdrv)

/etc/pulse/default.pa

#!/usr/bin/pulseaudio -nF                                                                                                                                                                            
#                                                                                                                                                                                                    
# This file is part of PulseAudio.                                                                                                                                                                   
#                                                                                                                                                                                                    
# PulseAudio is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it                                                                                                                              
# under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as published by                                                                                                                           
# the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or                                                                                                                                  
# (at your option) any later version.                                                                                                                                                                
#                                                                                                                                                                                                    
# PulseAudio is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but                                                                                                                                  
# WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of                                                                                                                                         
# MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU                                                                                                                                   
# General Public License for more details.                                                                                                                                                           
#                                                                                                                                                                                                    
# You should have received a copy of the GNU Lesser General Public License                                                                                                                           
# along with PulseAudio; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation,                                                                                                                              
# Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307 USA.                                                                                                                                       

# This startup script is used only if PulseAudio is started per-user
# (i.e. not in system mode)                                         

.nofail

### Load something into the sample cache
#load-sample-lazy x11-bell /usr/share/sounds/gtk-events/activate.wav
#load-sample-lazy pulse-hotplug /usr/share/sounds/startup3.wav      
#load-sample-lazy pulse-coldplug /usr/share/sounds/startup3.wav     
#load-sample-lazy pulse-access /usr/share/sounds/generic.wav        

.fail

### Automatically restore the volume of streams and devices
load-module module-device-restore                          
load-module module-stream-restore                          
load-module module-card-restore                            

### Automatically augment property information from .desktop files
### stored in /usr/share/application                              
load-module module-augment-properties                             

### Load audio drivers statically (it's probably better to not load
### these drivers manually, but instead use module-hal-detect --   
### see below -- for doing this automatically)                     
#load-module module-alsa-sink                                      
#load-module module-alsa-source device=hw:1,0                      
#load-module module-oss device="/dev/dsp" sink_name=output source_name=input
#load-module module-oss-mmap device="/dev/dsp" sink_name=output source_name=input
#load-module module-null-sink                                                    
#load-module module-pipe-sink                                                    

### Automatically load driver modules depending on the hardware available
.ifexists module-hal-detect.so                                           
load-module module-hal-detect                                            
.else                                                                    
### Alternatively use the static hardware detection module (for systems that
### lack HAL support)                                                       
load-module module-detect                                                   
.endif                                                                      

### Automatically load driver modules for Bluetooth hardware
.ifexists module-bluetooth-discover.so                      
load-module module-bluetooth-discover                       
.endif                                                      

### Load several protocols
.ifexists module-esound-protocol-unix.so
load-module module-esound-protocol-unix 
.endif                                  
load-module module-native-protocol-unix 

### Network access (may be configured with paprefs, so leave this commented
### here if you plan to use paprefs)                                       
#load-module module-esound-protocol-tcp                                    
#load-module module-native-protocol-tcp                                    
#load-module module-zeroconf-publish                                       

### Load the RTP reciever module (also configured via paprefs, see above)
#load-module module-rtp-recv                                             

### Load the RTP sender module (also configured via paprefs, see above)
#load-module module-null-sink sink_name=rtp format=s16be channels=2 rate=44100 description="RTP Multicast Sink"
#load-module module-rtp-send source=rtp.monitor                                                                

### Load additional modules from GConf settings. This can be configured with the paprefs tool.
### Please keep in mind that the modules configured by paprefs might conflict with manually   
### loaded modules.                                                                           
.ifexists module-gconf.so                                                                     
.nofail                                                                                       
load-module module-gconf                                                                      
.fail                                                                                         
.endif                                                                                        

### Automatically restore the default sink/source when changed by the user during runtime
load-module module-default-device-restore                                                

### Automatically move streams to the default sink if the sink they are
### connected to dies, similar for sources                             
load-module module-rescue-streams                                      

### Make sure we always have a sink around, even if it is a null sink.
load-module module-always-sink                                        

### Automatically suspend sinks/sources that become idle for too long
load-module module-suspend-on-idle

### If autoexit on idle is enabled we want to make sure we only quit
### when no local session needs us anymore.
load-module module-console-kit

### Enable positioned event sounds
load-module module-position-event-sounds

### Cork music streams when a phone stream is active
load-module module-cork-music-on-phone

# X11 modules should not be started from default.pa so that one daemon
# can be shared by multiple sessions.

### Load X11 bell module
#load-module module-x11-bell sample=bell-windowing-system

### Register ourselves in the X11 session manager
#load-module module-x11-xsmp

### Publish connection data in the X11 root window
#.ifexists module-x11-publish.so
#.nofail
#load-module module-x11-publish
#.fail
#.endif

### Make some devices default
#set-default-sink output
#set-default-source input

pulseaudio

E: module-alsa-card.c: Failed to find a working profile.
E: module.c: Failed to load  module "module-alsa-card" (argument: "device_id=0 name=pci_1412_1724_sound_card_0 card_name=alsa_card.pci_1412_1724_sound_card_0 tsched=1"): initialization failed.
E: bluetooth-util.c: Error from ListAdapters reply: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown

pulseaudio -v (the longer version)

I: main.c: Wir befinden uns in der Gruppe 'pulse-rt', was Scheduling höchster Priorität ermöglicht.                                                                                 
I: main.c: RLIMIT_RTPRIO is set to 65, allowing real-time scheduling.                                                                                                               
I: main.c: RLIMIT_NICE is set to 30, allowing high-priority scheduling.                                                                                                             
I: main.c: setrlimit(RLIMIT_NICE, (31, 31)) fehlgeschlagen: Die Operation ist nicht erlaubt                                                                                         
I: core-util.c: Successfully gained nice level -11.                                                                                                                                 
I: main.c: Verwerfe CAP_NICE                                                                                                                                                        
I: main.c: Dies ist PulseAudio 0.9.15                                                                                                                                               
I: main.c: Seitengröße ist 4096 Bytes.                                                                                                                                              
I: main.c: System- ID ist 78a698a1acd0bf2e0d8b198348dc321f.                                                                                                                         
I: main.c: Session ID is 78a698a1acd0bf2e0d8b198348dc321f-1257498318.30989-175112412.                                                                                               
I: main.c: Nutze Laufzeit-Verzeichnis /home/alp/.pulse/78a698a1acd0bf2e0d8b198348dc321f:runtime.                                                                                    
I: main.c: Nutze Zustands-Verzeichnis /home/alp/.pulse.                                                                                                                             
I: main.c: Laufe im System-Modus: no                                                                                                                                                
I: main.c: Neue hochauslösende Timer verfügbar! Guten Appetit!                                                                                                                      
I: module-device-restore.c: Sucessfully opened database file '/home/alp/.pulse/78a698a1acd0bf2e0d8b198348dc321f:device-volumes.i686-pc-linux-gnu.gdbm'.                             
I: module.c: Loaded "module-device-restore" (index: #0; argument: "").                                                                                                              
I: module-stream-restore.c: Sucessfully opened database file '/home/alp/.pulse/78a698a1acd0bf2e0d8b198348dc321f:stream-volumes.i686-pc-linux-gnu.gdbm'.                             
I: module.c: Loaded "module-stream-restore" (index: #1; argument: "").                                                                                                              
I: module-card-restore.c: Sucessfully opened database file '/home/alp/.pulse/78a698a1acd0bf2e0d8b198348dc321f:card-database.i686-pc-linux-gnu.gdbm'.                                
I: module.c: Loaded "module-card-restore" (index: #2; argument: "").                                                                                                                
I: module.c: Loaded "module-augment-properties" (index: #3; argument: "").                                                                                                          
I: alsa-util.c: Failed to set hardware parameters on plug:hw:0: Das Argument ist ungültig                                                                                           
I: (alsa-lib)pcm_hw.c: SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_HW_PARAMS failed                                                                                                                             
I: alsa-util.c: Failed to set hardware parameters on plug:front:0: Das Gerät oder die Ressource ist belegt                                                                          
I: alsa-util.c: Failed to set hardware parameters on plug:iec958:0: Das Gerät oder die Ressource ist belegt                                                                         
I: (alsa-lib)conf.c: Unknown parameters 0                                                                                                                                           
I: (alsa-lib)pcm.c: Unknown PCM hdmi:0                                                                                                                                              
I: alsa-util.c: Error opening PCM device hdmi:0: Das Argument ist ungültig                                                                                                          
I: (alsa-lib)pcm_params.c: Slave PCM not usable                                                                                                                                     
I: alsa-util.c: Failed to set hardware parameters on plug:surround40:0: Das Argument ist ungültig                                                                                   
I: (alsa-lib)pcm.c: Unknown PCM a52:0                                                                                                                                               
I: alsa-util.c: Error opening PCM device a52:0: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden                                                                                               
I: alsa-util.c: Failed to set hardware parameters on plug:surround41:0: Das Argument ist ungültig                                                                                   
I: alsa-util.c: Failed to set hardware parameters on plug:surround50:0: Das Argument ist ungültig                                                                                   
I: alsa-util.c: Failed to set hardware parameters on plug:surround51:0: Das Argument ist ungültig                                                                                   
I: alsa-util.c: Error opening PCM device a52:0: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden                                                                                               
I: alsa-util.c: Failed to set hardware parameters on plug:surround71:0: Das Argument ist ungültig                                                                                   
I: alsa-util.c: Failed to set hardware parameters on plug:hw:0: Das Argument ist ungültig                                                                                           
I: alsa-util.c: Failed to set hardware parameters on plug:front:0: Das Gerät oder die Ressource ist belegt                                                                          
I: (alsa-lib)setup.c: Cannot obtain info for CTL elem (MIXER,'IEC958 Capture Switch',0,0,0): Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden                                                  
I: alsa-util.c: Error opening PCM device iec958:0: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden                                                                                            
I: (alsa-lib)conf.c: Unknown parameters 0                                                                                                                                           
I: (alsa-lib)pcm.c: Unknown PCM hdmi:0                                                                                                                                              
I: alsa-util.c: Error opening PCM device hdmi:0: Das Argument ist ungültig                                                                                                          
I: alsa-util.c: Failed to set hardware parameters on plug:surround40:0: Das Argument ist ungültig                                                                                   
I: alsa-util.c: Failed to set hardware parameters on plug:surround41:0: Das Argument ist ungültig                                                                                   
I: alsa-util.c: Failed to set hardware parameters on plug:surround50:0: Das Argument ist ungültig                                                                                   
I: alsa-util.c: Failed to set hardware parameters on plug:surround51:0: Das Argument ist ungültig                                                                                   
I: alsa-util.c: Failed to set hardware parameters on plug:surround71:0: Das Argument ist ungültig                                                                                   
E: module-alsa-card.c: Failed to find a working profile.                                                                                                                            
E: module.c: Failed to load  module "module-alsa-card" (argument: "device_id=0 name=pci_1412_1724_sound_card_0 card_name=alsa_card.pci_1412_1724_sound_card_0 tsched=1"): initialization failed.
I: module-hal-detect.c: Loaded 0 modules.
I: module.c: Loaded "module-hal-detect" (index: #4; argument: "").
E: bluetooth-util.c: Error from ListAdapters reply: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown
I: module.c: Loaded "module-bluetooth-discover" (index: #5; argument: "").
I: module.c: Loaded "module-esound-protocol-unix" (index: #6; argument: "").
I: module.c: Loaded "module-native-protocol-unix" (index: #7; argument: "").
I: module-device-restore.c: Restoring volume for sink combined.
I: module-device-restore.c: Restoring mute state for sink combined.
I: sink.c: Created sink 0 "combined" with sample spec s16le 2ch 44100Hz and channel map front-left,front-right
I: sink.c:     device.description = "Simultaneous Output"
I: sink.c:     device.class = "filter"
I: sink.c:     device.icon_name = "audio-card"
I: module-device-restore.c: Restoring volume for source combined.monitor.
I: module-device-restore.c: Restoring mute state for source combined.monitor.
I: source.c: Created source 0 "combined.monitor" with sample spec s16le 2ch 44100Hz and channel map front-left,front-right
I: source.c:     device.description = "Monitor of Simultaneous Output"
I: source.c:     device.class = "monitor"
I: source.c:     device.icon_name = "audio-input-microphone"
I: module.c: Loaded "module-combine" (index: #8; argument: "").
I: module.c: Loaded "module-gconf" (index: #9; argument: "").
I: module-default-device-restore.c: Restored default sink 'combined'.
I: module-default-device-restore.c: Restored default source 'combined.monitor'.
I: module.c: Loaded "module-default-device-restore" (index: #10; argument: "").
I: module.c: Loaded "module-rescue-streams" (index: #11; argument: "").
I: module.c: Loaded "module-always-sink" (index: #12; argument: "").
I: module.c: Loaded "module-suspend-on-idle" (index: #13; argument: "").
I: client.c: Created 0 "ConsoleKit Session /org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Session1"
I: module.c: Loaded "module-console-kit" (index: #14; argument: "").
I: module.c: Loaded "module-position-event-sounds" (index: #15; argument: "").
I: module.c: Loaded "module-cork-music-on-phone" (index: #16; argument: "").
I: main.c: Start des Daemons abgeschlossen.

Anyone?

#2 2009-11-06 19:16:52

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: PulseAudio Null Output

Something else is controlling your soundcard?

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2009-11-07 08:57:30

Alp

Yes maybe, but what could that be? How can i check that?

#4 2009-11-07 10:02:03

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Normally is easier to just restart.... if it works again means something grabbed the soundcard.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#5 2009-11-07 10:26:44

Alp

A restart does not help. Even reinstalling pulse and resetting its settings to default didnt.

Last edited by Alp (2009-11-07 10:27:07)

#6 2009-11-07 13:38:57

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Does alsa output anything?

#7 2009-11-07 17:54:20

Alp

I don't think so, didn't see anything from alsa.

I think the important line is:

It seems that something else blocks the sound card. But what could that be?

#8 2009-11-07 22:43:28

uwinkelvos

if you are on x86_64 you should have a defalut.pa.pacnew file, that uses udev module detection instead of hal. (yaourt's pacdiffviewer is a nice tool to merge pacnew files)

#9 2009-11-08 09:42:28

Alp

I'm on 32 bit. Here is my default.pa file (it's the default one):

#!/usr/bin/pulseaudio -nF
#
# This file is part of PulseAudio.
#
# PulseAudio is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
# under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as published by
# the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
# (at your option) any later version.
#
# PulseAudio is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
# WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
# MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU
# General Public License for more details.
#
# You should have received a copy of the GNU Lesser General Public License
# along with PulseAudio; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation,
# Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307 USA.

# This startup script is used only if PulseAudio is started per-user
# (i.e. not in system mode)

.nofail

### Load something into the sample cache
#load-sample-lazy x11-bell /usr/share/sounds/gtk-events/activate.wav
#load-sample-lazy pulse-hotplug /usr/share/sounds/startup3.wav
#load-sample-lazy pulse-coldplug /usr/share/sounds/startup3.wav
#load-sample-lazy pulse-access /usr/share/sounds/generic.wav

.fail

### Automatically restore the volume of streams and devices
load-module module-device-restore
load-module module-stream-restore
load-module module-card-restore

### Automatically augment property information from .desktop files
### stored in /usr/share/application
load-module module-augment-properties

### Load audio drivers statically (it's probably better to not load
### these drivers manually, but instead use module-hal-detect --
### see below -- for doing this automatically)
#load-module module-alsa-sink
#load-module module-alsa-source device=hw:1,0
#load-module module-oss device="/dev/dsp" sink_name=output source_name=input
#load-module module-oss-mmap device="/dev/dsp" sink_name=output source_name=input
#load-module module-null-sink
#load-module module-pipe-sink

### Automatically load driver modules depending on the hardware available
.ifexists module-hal-detect.so
load-module module-hal-detect
.else
### Alternatively use the static hardware detection module (for systems that
### lack HAL support)
load-module module-detect
.endif

### Automatically load driver modules for Bluetooth hardware
.ifexists module-bluetooth-discover.so
load-module module-bluetooth-discover
.endif

### Load several protocols
.ifexists module-esound-protocol-unix.so
load-module module-esound-protocol-unix
.endif
load-module module-native-protocol-unix

### Network access (may be configured with paprefs, so leave this commented
### here if you plan to use paprefs)
#load-module module-esound-protocol-tcp
#load-module module-native-protocol-tcp
#load-module module-zeroconf-publish

### Load the RTP reciever module (also configured via paprefs, see above)
#load-module module-rtp-recv

### Load the RTP sender module (also configured via paprefs, see above)
#load-module module-null-sink sink_name=rtp format=s16be channels=2 rate=44100 description="RTP Multicast Sink"
#load-module module-rtp-send source=rtp.monitor

### Load additional modules from GConf settings. This can be configured with the paprefs tool.
### Please keep in mind that the modules configured by paprefs might conflict with manually
### loaded modules.
.ifexists module-gconf.so
.nofail
load-module module-gconf
.fail
.endif

### Automatically restore the default sink/source when changed by the user during runtime
load-module module-default-device-restore

### Automatically move streams to the default sink if the sink they are
### connected to dies, similar for sources
load-module module-rescue-streams

### Make sure we always have a sink around, even if it is a null sink.
load-module module-always-sink

### Automatically suspend sinks/sources that become idle for too long
load-module module-suspend-on-idle

### If autoexit on idle is enabled we want to make sure we only quit
### when no local session needs us anymore.
load-module module-console-kit

### Enable positioned event sounds
load-module module-position-event-sounds

### Cork music streams when a phone stream is active
load-module module-cork-music-on-phone

# X11 modules should not be started from default.pa so that one daemon
# can be shared by multiple sessions.

### Load X11 bell module
#load-module module-x11-bell sample=bell-windowing-system

### Register ourselves in the X11 session manager
#load-module module-x11-xsmp

### Publish connection data in the X11 root window
#.ifexists module-x11-publish.so
#.nofail
#load-module module-x11-publish
#.fail
#.endif

### Make some devices default
#set-default-sink output
#set-default-source input

#10 2009-11-08 11:26:49

Alp

I found a policy problem in my messages.log. Here it is:

Nov  7 12:22:13 localhost pulseaudio[4328]: main.c: Failed to acquire org.pulseaudio.Server: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: Connection ":1.10" is not allowed to own the service "org.pulseaudio.Server" due to security policies in the configuration file

Any ideas?

#11 2009-11-08 16:12:11

uwinkelvos

gpasswd -a <user> pulse-access
gpasswd -a <user> pulse-rt

does this help?

Last edited by uwinkelvos (2009-11-08 16:12:45)

#12 2009-11-08 16:40:21

Alp

I did exactly that some minutes before your post heh smile

I fixed the above DBus auth error with creating the following file:

$ cat /etc/dbus-1/system.d/pulseaudio.conf
<!-- http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=71010 -->

<!DOCTYPE busconfig PUBLIC "-//freedesktop//DTD D-BUS Bus Configuration 1.0//EN"
 "http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/dbus/1.0/busconfig.dtd">
<busconfig>
  <!-- Pulseaudio runs as 'pulse' user -->
  <policy user="pulse">
    <allow own="org.pulseaudio.Server"/>
    <allow send_destination="org.pulseaudio.Server"/>
    <allow receive_sender="org.pulseaudio.Server"/>
  </policy>
</busconfig>

But i still have another permission problem:

Nov  8 13:38:00 localhost pulseaudio[4270]: protocol-native.c: Denied access to client with invalid authorization data.

I added my user to both groups (pulse-access and pulse-rt) but if i run "groups" i got only "pulse" instead of all three groups. What could that mean?

#13 2009-11-08 20:17:06

uwinkelvos

you need to re-login... maybe you also nee to add the pulse user to the audio group:

gpasswd -a pulse audio

Board footer