You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-08 22:24:06

dvp

NAK from router on network start, no name server

Hi,

I'm working with a fresh installed version of the latest Archlinux. I'm using a wired laptop into a home router.

When the network service starts when the OS is loading, I get the message "dhcpcd: eth0: NAK: (null) from 192.168.0.1", loading stalls for a second, and then the [DONE] message comes and booting proceeds as normal.

I also cannot ping or connect to domains using their name like "www.google.com", I get the message "ping: unknown host www.google.com". But I can ping my router and get a response, as well as ping friend's IP addresses and get a response.

I'm not sure if these two problems are related, any ideas what is causing this?
Thanks in advance.

#2 2009-11-08 22:48:16

tlvb
Website

Re: NAK from router on network start, no name server

The second problem sounds like the router either cannot connect to a dns server, or it has no outward connection at all.
Check on the router config page if you have an "outside" ip, if you do it's probably a dns problem, if you don't it might be a dhcp problem (depending on how you connect to the net)

I need a sorted list of all random numbers, so that I can retrieve a suitable one later with a binary search instead of having to iterate through the generation process every time.

#3 2009-11-08 23:11:23

dvp

I have multiple computers on the router, and they all work fine. It's just the Archlinux laptop that's giving me problems.

#4 2009-11-09 00:04:44

dvp

Ok, so I got this fixed. It turns out that the DNS server that my router was handing Archlinux differed from the DNS servers listed by the router. Because the /etc/resolv.conf is generated dynamically each time the network is started, simply changing the file wouldn't do anything, because it would just be overwritten the next time I rebooted or restarted the network service. So I added a resolv.conf.head file to the directory with the proper name server IP. It now works.

For the NAK, I guess it doesn't matter, and it just takes 2 tried for Archlinux to establish a connection with my router. I'll be looking into this further, but everything is working, so it's not really an issue.

Board footer