You are not logged in.

#26 2004-11-30 00:56:51

djhizz
Website

Re: how much do you like archlinux?

The best.My roommate is using right now on my PC tongue....i am asking him :What do u think about arch?  and hi answer is.:NOPE,...it is not my pasision...he is a windows user  :twisted:

My mama said once: ...........***K OFF!!!!   She was right!
<a href="http://www.nobelcom.com">phone cards</a>

#27 2004-11-30 06:34:10

iBertus

Having used Windows in some form or fashion since the beginning of time but having also used Slackware, Red Hat, Fedora and SuSE for several months prior to this, I find Arch to be the best distro for us minimalists. I feel like I have the control you would expect from Slack with an added bit of sanity provided by pacman and abs. This system is far easier to maintain than even a Windows install.

Also, I find that Arch's installer is perfect for the job. It really does only take 5-10 minutes to install a working Arch base. Even configuring everything by hand it still takes less time to setup a graphical environment on Arch than some distros take to install their 2GB of unnessesary software. I love the community and I love Arch Linux!

#28 2004-12-21 18:11:44

Benedict_White
Website

Lots.

I use it on servers I install for people.

Things I would like to see is more options on type of kernel, for example one with support for dvb as well as one without (after all why have dvb support on a server but would be usefull on a desktop).

I would also like to see the pacman chomp.

For use as a server though it is very good. Stick it in, set it up and forget about it.

Pacman is fantastic. (Appart from the lack of chomp).

Kind regards

Benedict White

#29 2004-12-23 04:28:28

Shofs

I agree

sud_crow wrote:

Hi,

I think the poll is missing the option:

*) Its greate i really like it (maybe some comments on improvements?)

I do like it, a lot. But i think it has to grow.... although now its my primary distro and all, i wouldnt say its the best distro out there, neither that the installer its bad, i think its a greate distro, and the installer its ok, ofcourse it needs some polish up, but thats it i think... the problem with the "perfect" (or best) distro is that everybody has different needs, so i dont think there will be such title...

Anyway, like i sayd, i really like it and do it every day more.

#30 2004-12-23 07:54:04

GuyonAsm

I love archlinux, and I've been using it for almost a year now. I have no problems with archlinux beyond some of the USERS.

When I was on gentoo, if I couldn't find a question on the forums, I'd go to their irc channel and ask questions there. Usually someone would help me along and all would be well.

I got tired of all the compiling so I decided to come to arch, and here I am. I love it. Except I tried that very same process when I couldn't find an answer on the forums, and to be quite short about it: some of the people in there were just dicks. I got asshole responses that didn't even answer the question at hand. This was about 4 months ago, but it's the reason why you won't find me in archlinux channel (maybe things have changed?).

Again aside from the user(s) stated above (who's names escape me) archlinux has turned my linux experience into apart of my life. Barely anything seems new to me now, and I use Linux as a tool instead of an experimentation.

#31 2004-12-23 22:49:52

aCoder
Website

I got tired of all the compiling so I decided to come to arch, and here I am. I love it. Except I tried that very same process when I couldn't find an answer on the forums, and to be quite short about it: some of the people in there were just dicks. I got asshole responses that didn't even answer the question at hand. This was about 4 months ago, but it's the reason why you won't find me in archlinux channel (maybe things have changed?).

That's odd.  That sounds like my experience with Gentoo!!!  I've yet to run into anyone in the Arch community that I would call a 'dick'.  However, I've long abandoned IRC.

If you develop an ear for sounds that are musical it is like developing an ego. You begin to refuse sounds that are not musical and that way cut yourself off from a good deal of experience.
  - John Cage

#32 2005-01-19 03:52:00

skoal
Website

aCoder wrote:

[...]I've yet to run into anyone in the Arch community that I would call a 'dick'.  [...]

My first name is Richard.  Surely, I'm not the only one.

#33 2005-02-04 21:23:45

Cotton

Its worth hanging around the IRC channel as there's loads of expertise available, growing as the user base increases.

There are a few youngsters who sound bored and need to grow up, but in general people are very helpful and friendly.  Just like the forums  big_smile

You may get a reply that forces you to do some more research but you'll benefit from that and hopefully be able to pass your experience on to others.

#34 2005-02-04 23:07:53

Gullible Jones

Not enough options. tongue

For me: Very good, but the occasional botched package can sometimes be a nuisance. Still, it's a hell of a distro for something that doesn't have a stable release yet!

#35 2005-02-05 00:42:17

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

I love it on the server.
I still can't get the fonts to look right for a desktop setup though. I am starting to think my monitor has some type of resolution issue...It works fine on the *cough* older distro I am currently using for my workstation...

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#36 2005-02-05 11:01:29

arooaroo
Website

Let's begin with the fact that I have been really impressed with AL. I few minor problems with the setup, but otherwise, everything worked fine (and quickly!)

However,  continuing from what hkctr was saying earlier, I'm not sure if the top bods at AL actually care about reaching a critical mass. I'm not convinced they are bothered if only a few people use it. As long as it serves their needs - that's great.

I'd therefore say that AL is developer led rather than user-driven. The devs add the features they want, because, afterall, it's them who will be doing the hard work. I expect the single most requested feature from AL users is GUI pacman. But you know that simply won't happen. (For the record - I'm happy with CLI)

Ironicly, I think AL will grow thanks to the success of Gentoo. Gentoo has received so much publicity over the past couple of years, many people are taking the jump from mainstream distros (RH/Fedora, Suse, Mandrake) in search of something better. They like it at first, and become more confident and competent as a Linux user. BUT, they then get sick of the endless waiting of compiling for every little update, etc. Well, this is what happened to me. I went looking for a distro which had great package management, but with less of the hassle and that's why I'm with AL now.

#37 2005-02-05 11:49:29

kth5
Website

i chose "It's the best linux distribution i know.", and yes, i really mean it.

*personally* i do not see why poeple find the installer not easy to use, it's dead simple actually. it tells the user exactly what needs to be done and anyone installing a GNU/Linux distro has to find out where to configure the things sooner or later. i believe that it doesn't need *improvements* on a usability's point of view, would only complicate matters and bloat the thing.

i also are more than satisfied with what is in current and extra. someone always keeps track of the packages in there and nothing gets in there for no reason. pacman makes the package management very simple as well so adding stuff for oneself isn't that much of a problem. now, those who can't even work with makepkg shouldn't complain about too few packages anyway. wink

I recognize that while theory and practice are, in theory, the same, they are, in practice, different. -Mark Mitchell

#38 2005-02-05 15:47:54

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

arooaroo wrote:

I'd therefore say that AL is developer led rather than user-driven. The devs add the features they want, because, afterall, it's them who will be doing the hard work.

This isn't strictly true (its mostly true). I've been on both sides of the developer line. Developers do work on what interests them; that's the best way to accomplish stuff. However, just because a developer isn't interested in a feature doesn't mean it won't happen. Any user can contribute to Arch Linux; some stuff gets included officially, some remains in 'User Contributions' as a separate entity.  Sometimes a user who contributes a lot becomes a developer.

I expect the single most requested feature from AL users is GUI pacman. But you know that simply won't happen. (For the record - I'm happy with CLI)

It will happen. It just won't happen by any of the current developers. Nobody who has attempted it has bothered to maintain their work at this time.

The developers ARE working on a libraryized pacman, which will go along way towards allowing external developers to create a GUI version of pacman.

So, strictly speaking, Arch IS developer driven rather than user driven. The difference is that its not just official developers that are developing it.

Dusty

#39 2005-02-06 01:22:05

miqorz

It's the best distro I've ever used and It's getting better all the time.

I love the way Arch works on the CORE features instead of going into frivolous features like a gui installer before the package manager got all the love it deserves. Unlike other distros I won't name.

A completely GUI Arch wouldn't bother me much unless..

1) It was mandatory
2) It took focus away from pacman
3) It took focus away from package development

But not only that isn't Arch's goal to be for 'experienced' users willing to roll up their sleeves? No a flame by any means just an observation.

Arch is NOT hard by any means, pacman -S foo, pacman -Syu.. Yeah.. REAL tough. wink

http://wiki2.archlinux.org/

Read it. Love it. Live it. Or die.

#40 2005-02-07 03:12:50

darkcoder

Well, I really like Arch, but specially for desktop use.  It has the package management flexibilty of Gentoo, the faster update process of a binary distro, always up to date with the latest stuff, and very stable.  Still in servers I like more Gentoo because it still has better flexibility over package installation, and has more packages for that purpose (like webmin).

#41 2005-02-07 09:57:00

Benedict_White
Website

darkcoder wrote:

Still in servers I like more Gentoo because it still has better flexibility over package installation, and has more packages for that purpose (like webmin).

You can get webmin to run on Arch, and in fact if you search for it there is a tar ball or Webmin 1.15 which knows about Arch. Then it is just a matter of updating it.

I use Arch on servers all the time and it works very well.

Kind regards

Benedict White

#42 2005-02-07 10:00:25

kth5
Website

darkcoder wrote:

Still in servers I like more Gentoo because it still has better flexibility over package installation, and has more packages for that purpose (like webmin).

webmin shouldn't be used on servers anyway as it presents a great security risk. just opens another door and everything can be done using ssh/shell, right? ;P

I recognize that while theory and practice are, in theory, the same, they are, in practice, different. -Mark Mitchell

#43 2005-02-07 10:13:18

Benedict_White
Website

kth5 wrote:

webmin shouldn't be used on servers anyway as it presents a great security risk. just opens another door and everything can be done using ssh/shell, right? ;P

Umm. What sort of security risk? The servers I have operating webmin are behind firewalls and webmin can only be accessed from certain IP addresses.

On the everything can be done by ssh, in the main yes, but then so is webmin effectively as it is encrypted as well. In practice the advantage of webmin is that for some things it lets you see what is going on, but quicker. (In other cases ssh is quicker, particularly if you don't know what is going on, and need to tail a log file to figure it out.)

Kind regards

Benedict White

#44 2005-02-07 10:26:50

kth5
Website

Benedict_White wrote:

Umm. What sort of security risk? The servers I have operating webmin are behind firewalls and webmin can only be accessed from certain IP addresses.

well in that case yes but even if you restrict access there will always be one port more to try an attack on and webmin is a pretty popular target at least from what i know. yes, ssh itself is one too then but i can live with that since even if i have webmin i can't really kick openssh, how could i?

Benedict_White wrote:

On the everything can be done by ssh, in the main yes, but then so is webmin effectively as it is encrypted as well. In practice the advantage of webmin is that for some things it lets you see what is going on, but quicker. (In other cases ssh is quicker, particularly if you don't know what is going on, and need to tail a log file to figure it out.)

a good setup let's you know if something is wrong, not wants you to check regularly if someone broke into the machine or the apache went down earlier. that's the most efficient way. besides admins should know which logfiles to tail and how to seperate errors, warnigns etc. with syslogd or syslog-ng. hint: log2mail

heh, i like this one in the about:

We do not provide any configuration helper utilities (ie, you won't find linuxconf in here) so you will quickly become very proficient at configuring your system from the shell commandline.

it includes webmin, doesn't it?

#45 2005-02-07 10:35:21

Benedict_White
Website

kth5 wrote:

well in that case yes but even if you restrict access there will always be one port more to try an attack on and webmin is a pretty popular target at least from what i know.

Are there any articles on this? I did get sent one once that reffered to the loading of DLL's but that seemed to me to be a windows problem and as far as I know webmin does not run on windows. (Though a similarly named product might).

I am interested in knowing how you get a server somewhere to tell you it has just been hacked. (Mind you that is something you look at with ssh not webmin) or that it has just died.

I do appreaciate the use of CLI and for the most part that is what I use. Sometimes though webmin seems easier.

Kind regards

Benedict White

#46 2005-02-09 22:56:35

thegnu
Website

The one true caveat to my Arch is the best vote in that the installer could be improved.  Once you've created the partitions and set mount points, you can't go back and redo it, which should be simple to fix.  And maybe a warning as you exit that you should REALLY install a bootloader unless you know what you're doing.

I know Arch isn't designed to be idiot-proof, but I think these might be good ideas.

Still Arch has only REALLY pissed me off once, and I think that it was my fault.  Contrary to Debian, Ubuntu, Red Hat/Fedora, Mandrake, etc

fffft!

#47 2005-02-10 07:57:16

InfernalH
Website

I was using Fedora Core 1-2-3 a bit less than years before and then few weeks ago I've migrated to Arch. Well, after Fedora system Arch really rulez! Pacman seems to be better than yum, all configuration files are in one place, no problems with sound and video card. Only one problem still 'fucks' me it is my not-yet-working printer.

Some suggestions for improvement for TODO:

· graphical installer. Fedora's installer I liked very much, and it does almost the same things like Arch's installer
· Xfce desktop environment should be set as a default after install. It might be a big problem to set everything direclty by own hands for people with less knowledge.
· Cdroms, IMHO, should be added to fstab config automatically.

#48 2005-02-10 08:05:07

miqorz

InfernalH:

My cdrom was added automatically.

A graphical installer isn't needed at all. The current installer is VERY simple and easy. K.I.S.S

As for a "default" desktop, I think the full iso has XFce on it (I could be wrong) but I think most of us use the base iso anyways.

http://wiki2.archlinux.org/

Read it. Love it. Live it. Or die.

#49 2005-02-10 09:25:12

InfernalH
Website

miqorz:

Well, I have two popular TEAC cdroms and none of them have been added to fstab sad For me it was 3 minutes thing to write two more rules to fstab, but for  others it might be a problem.

I'm for graphical installer, because I haven't seen text based installer working with creating/editing partitions as good as graphical ones.

And I had second CD of Arch, and I installed Xfce from it, but the DE after install was not Xfce, I swear smile

Nevertheless Arch is going to be my favourite distribution after I'll make my printer working!

#50 2005-02-10 09:31:18

xerverius
Website

Everything is working perfectly and pacman owns.
And Arch is always up-to-date

Board footer