You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-09 12:12:23

passbe
Website

Live Streaming Over VM

I was foolish enough to buy an unsupported tv tuner card (usb). After some thought i fired up VirtualBox installed the tv tuner software and fired her up. It works but the video is jittery, understandable being a vm. However the software allows you to live stream, so i set that up and pointed mplayer (vlc didn't work) to the stream. Now it caches awfully slowly and plays back worse than the vm does. Without going into to much technical detail does anyone have any suggestions.

System resources on both sides are fine. I run a core i7 with 6 gig of ram. The software will only allow me to stream in Windows 9 codecs. The tv tuner has good reception.

any ideas?

#2 2009-11-09 18:45:16

MadTux

Re: Live Streaming Over VM

I guess the problem is that the VM uses a generic network card, which is not optimized for speed. Additionally, your setup carries the overhead of the VM, since every tcp packet goes through your host, the VM and the guest within the VM. Do you use firewalls on host and/or guest? If yes, you should probably disable at least the firewall on the guest.

#3 2009-11-09 21:05:53

passbe
Website

Re: Live Streaming Over VM

I disabled all the firewalls. In all honesty i thought it wouldn't be much of a problem being that they were all on the local machine. But the overhead must just be too much.

Board footer