You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-07 12:12:57

pichulines
Website

brasero doesn't start

Hi all,

I use Brasero (a gnome project) as CD/DVD burner. It is simple and fast, enough for me. But some days ago I tried to use it and it didn't start. I tried it from console, just to know if it dumped any kind of error, but the only message I got was something like:

"Write <<brasero>> --help to see all available options" (it is translated from spanish, so it's possible that the message is not exactly the same in english)

I execute "brasero --help" and I get the available options, but went I try to execute "brasero" or "basero" plus any options, it keeps returning the same message written above.

I keep my arch system up to date (except for the last xorg-server 1.7, which doesn't work properly with my nv drivers I guess. I continue with 1.6... version) and recently I updated brasero to 2.28.2-2 version. But it says the same.

Has anybody the same issue or at least some clue to debug or get some log info? thanks

#2 2009-11-07 12:42:04

deej

Re: brasero doesn't start

Strange... I use Brasero on kde4 and I had trouble with it not starting a couple of weeks ago.
Seeing your post, I re-installed it and now it's fine !
Try re-installing it.

Deej

#3 2009-11-07 13:12:48

pichulines
Website

thanks for your help, deej. I reinstalled it with no luck. It's really strange, I know. I have another arch computer at work and I runs brasero with no problem. And it is almost the same configuration and software.

do you know how to get some log info to find out what happens?

#4 2009-11-07 13:15:42

deej

Start brasero from the command line with: "brasero -g" - this will give debug output.

Deej

#5 2009-11-09 11:59:32

pichulines
Website

sorry for my delay. thanks deej. I have try "brasero -g" but there is no "-g" option. Actually the only thing I can do is to show the available options with "brasero --help", and it doesn't show that option.

is there any kind of log file to find out more about this?

#6 2009-11-09 13:40:53

deej

BRASERO(1)                                                                                                            BRASERO(1)

NAME
       brasero - Simple and easy to use CD/DVD burning application for the Gnome Desktop

SYNOPSIS
       brasero [options] [uri] [uri] ...

DESCRIPTION
       This manual page documents briefly the brasero command.

rasero  is  a  disc  burning  application. It is designed to be simple and easy to use.  It allows to create data CD/DVD,
       audio CD, to copy CD/DVD and to burn images. It has some nices features, such as a song, image and  video  previewer.  It
       can also search for files (thanks to beagle) and display a playlist and its contents.

OPTIONS
       This  program  follows  the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of
       options is included below.  For a complete description, see the Info files.

-p, --project=PROJECT
              Open the specified project.

-a, --audio
              Open an empty audio project.

-d, --data
              Open an empty data project.

-c, --copy=PATH
              Copy a disc.

-j, --cover=PATH
              Cover to use.

-o, --video
              Open a video project adding the URIs given on the command line.

-i, --image=PATH
              Uri of an image file or a cue file to be burnt (autodetected).

-e,  --empty
              Force brasero to display the project selection page.

-b,  --blank
              Open the blank disc dialog.

-k, --check
              Open the check disc dialog.

-n, --ncb
              Open a data project with the contents of burn:/// URI.

-r, --burn-and-remove-project=PATH
              Burn the specified project and REMOVE it.

-g, --debug
              Display debug statements on stdout.

--display=DISPLAY
              X display to use.

-?, --help
              Show summary of options.

-v, --version
              Show version of program.

AUTHOR
       Brasero manual page was written by Philippe Rouquier <philippero@libertysurf.fr> and Luis Medinas <lmedinas@gmail.com>.

GNOME                                                   January 11, 2009                                              BRASERO(1)

Indeed there is, but it doesn't show up in 'brasero --help'. I take it you've tried running 'brasero -g' and
it wouldn't work ?

deej

#7 2009-11-09 14:56:43

anonymous_user

Does "brasero --debug" work?

Also try uninstalling Brasero, deleting any config files, then reinstalling.

#8 2009-11-09 19:12:11

pichulines
Website

thanks for your replies.

sorry deej, you're right. the man pages shows the "-d" option. I have tried, but I get the same output: "Write <<brasero>> --help to see all the available choices"

I have removed brasero and all the configuration files. The reinstallation doesn't help at all.

I'm thinking of using a different light and simple GUI to burn CDs. any suggestions?

#9 2009-11-09 19:31:57

deej

'brasero -d' = Open an empty data project.
'brasero -g' = Display debug statements on stdout.

roll smile

I've used gnomebaker before without a problem.

Deej

#10 2009-11-09 19:57:07

pichulines
Website

sorry I wanted to say 'brasero -g', rather than 'brasero -d' :-o

thanks for your help. I'll try gnomebaker.

#11 2009-11-09 23:50:55

pichulines
Website

Hi again,

I have been working hard on this issue and I have found out more about it. These are my conclusions:

1.- As I have a desktop environment based on openbox, I decided to try the package "brasero-lite" from AUR, instead of "brasero" package, which depends on gnome stuff. But the result was the same. I got the message "Please type brasero --help to see all available options", no matters the options I chose at startup (-g, --debug or whatever)

2.- So I took a look to the sources of brasero-lite package looking for the lines related to the persistent message. These were the lines, located at main.c file, starting at 464 line:

if (g_option_context_parse (context, &argc, &argv, NULL) == FALSE) {
        g_print (_("Please type \"%s --help\" to see all available options\n"), argv [0]);
        g_option_context_free (context);
        exit (1);
    }

3.- This lines seems to be related with the gstreamer initialization. So I tried to remove ".gstreamer-0.10/registry.x86_64.bin" at home directory. But no success with this.

4.- So I decided to comment the lines whitin the if structure and compile the package again. This launch brasero as always.

After all I'm not sure if this is a bug or I had something wrong with my gstreamer configuration. If someone could clear my mind it would be appreciated.

#12 2009-11-10 06:29:36

deej

Bravo upon your effort smile

Just to satisfy my curiosity, could you check that all of Braseros' dependencies are
installed and of the correct version ( maybe check the optional dep's as well ) ?

Depends On: gstreamer0.10-base-plugins>=0.10.24  totem-plparser>=2.28.1  libbeagle>=0.3.9  cdrkit  cdrdao  desktop-file-utils
                                hicolor-icon-theme  libunique>=1.1.2  gconf>=2.28.0

Optional Deps: libburn: alternative back-end
                       libisofs: libburn back-end
                       dvdauthor: video project
                       gstreamer0.10-bad-plugins: video project
                       vcdimager: video project

Deej

Last edited by deej (2009-11-10 06:30:57)

#13 2009-11-10 13:15:25

perbh

What's wrong with wodim/cdrecord?
I have the following alias in my .bashrc file:

alias     burn='cdrecord -v driveropts=burnfree dev=/dev/sr0 -dao -eject -data'

- works a treat ;-)

#14 2009-11-10 19:27:03

pichulines
Website

Hi Deej,

Currently I have installed brasero-lite, the deps are not the same. This are the dependencies and the version I have installed:

'gconf 2.28.0-1 ' 'gstreamer0.10-base 0.10.25-1' 'dvd+rw-tools 7.1-2 ' 'cdrdao 1.2.3rc2-1 ' 'cdrkit 1.1.9-2' 'libunique 1.1.2-1' 'libcanberra 0.21-1'

and these are the optional deps (I have none of these packages):

'libburn' 'libisofs' 'dvdauthor' 'gst-plugin-bad' 'vcdimager'

Anyway after the recompilation brasero starts but now it doesn't recognized when I insert a blank CD. I guess it is related to this thread: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … 91#p653591

To perbh: thanks for your suggestion, I will consider it.

Board footer