You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-11 14:19:24

manzinger

[solved]X as non-root and xorg.conf problem

I recently installed Arch on my notebook.
I followed the beginners guide and everything is ok so far, except those two problems I have:

(1) I can only start X as root. I have been mainly root so far because I still have to tweak and install a lot.
When I startx as a normal user it starts, shows dark screen and immediately exits.
I checked the log file but couldn't find anything.

(2) Another thing is, my X only works without a xorg.conf file. I installed hal+dbus and both are running. I have KMS and my console has the perfect resolution. I installed evdev, synaptics and intel drivers (for my intel 4500mhd)  and they all work without xorg.conf, but when I use the "Xorg -configure" file oder a minimalistic xorg.conf it hangs.
I'm pretty sure I'm loading the intel drivers and not switching back to vesa without xorg.conf, but how can I be sure? What else could be the reason?

thanks for your help

Last edited by manzinger (2009-11-11 14:34:15)

#2 2009-11-11 14:23:28

KimTjik

Re: [solved]X as non-root and xorg.conf problem

Do you have a .xinitrc file in your home folder telling X what to do?

If there's no special reason for having a xorg.conf there's no need to. The Wiki is a good place to start if your looking for manually making a minimal xorg.conf enabling some special settings.

#3 2009-11-11 14:34:00

manzinger

Re: [solved]X as non-root and xorg.conf problem

KimTjik wrote:

Do you have a .xinitrc file in your home folder telling X what to do?

If there's no special reason for having a xorg.conf there's no need to. The Wiki is a good place to start if your looking for manually making a minimal xorg.conf enabling some special settings.

You were right, I forgot the .xinitrc in my /home

The guide even tells to switch to normal user before copying the .xinitrc from /skel but I remember I made a mistake with adduser and stayed root in this process..

thank you very much!

I won't bother with xorg.conf either, but how can I be sure my X really uses the intel driver for maximum performance and not switching back to vesa? I am quite sure it does use intel according to the xorg.0.log file but..

Board footer