You are not logged in.

#1 2003-09-05 22:44:20

contrasutra

CUPS problem

So, I set up my printer (HP 895Cse) using CUPS through the browser GUI. The printer worked fine for a while, but all of a sudden, it doesnt work.

When I send a job to the printer (using any WP program), nothing happens, and the job doesnt show up in the "manager".

Now, I tried using GTKLP, a frontend to CUPS, and it prints, but it looks REALLY crappy.

Anyone else have a similar problem, or any tips?

"Contrary to popular belief, penguins are not the salvation of modern technology.  Neither do they throw parties for the urban proletariat."

#2 2003-09-06 06:43:03

Toth

Re: CUPS problem

No idea. How does a test page printed from the web interface look, out of curiosity?

#3 2003-09-06 11:02:57

dp
Website

what driver do you use? GIMP-Print? how's your printer connected? printserver? usb?

the classical way to access CUPS:
connect to CUPS over your browser on
http://localhost:631
... and then go to "Printers"

this is the best way to admin cups, not the easiest (that's why frontends are written) ... from there you can print a Test Page as Toth said ... there you can try to stop and then start a printer, what may help in some cases with "funny" drivers

maybe you know this already and did so ... then feel free to ignore all except my first line wink

EDIT: forgot: i have a DJ880 over a printserver and use "HP DeskJet 895C - CUPS+Gimp-Print v4.2.6-pre1" as driver ... works fine

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#4 2003-09-06 16:08:59

contrasutra

I did set it up via the web interface. It prints test pages just fine.

I am using "CUPS+Gimp-Print v4.2.6-pre1".

Its USB, and my USB ports work fine.

"Contrary to popular belief, penguins are not the salvation of modern technology.  Neither do they throw parties for the urban proletariat."

#5 2003-09-07 03:03:53

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

contrasutra wrote:

I did set it up via the web interface. It prints test pages just fine.

If it prints the test page, there must be a solution. If you use KDE, example KEdit, select another system. Currently I am using "Generic UNIX LPD Print System". Before I had CUPS System but it disappeared.

Markku

#6 2003-09-11 18:25:25

contrasutra

OK, I think I figured out the problem. I get this message on boot:

printer.c: v0.11: USB Printer Device Class driver
printer.c: Disabling reads from problem bidirectional printer on usblp0
printer.c: usblp0: USB Unidirectional printer dev 2 if 0 alt 1 proto 2 vid 0x03F0 pid 0x0004

If its disabling bidirectional printers (which mine is), that would be a problem.

Any ideas how to stop this?

I guess my printer stopped working when I upgraded my kernel.

Also, these are the modules I load at startup:

printer usb-ohci ehci-hcd parport_pc parport ide-scsi eepro100 snd-emu10k1 snd-pcm-oss

Am I missing one?

I also runs CUPS at startup.

#7 2003-09-11 20:23:07

sarah31
Website

mine always says that at boot but i can print i think it is just one of those meaningless warnings. as for modules...i will let you know what i load when i get home.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

Board footer