You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-13 11:48:16

xunele

Installing Arch WinXP Dual-Boot

Hello! I'm new with Arch-Linux.

I'm trying to install Arch with Windows XP. I looked at the guide and several threads but I can not solve my problem. I make an installation in "Legacy" because my drive is IDE. I have installed Win XP. I do manually the partitions partitions / boot, /, / swap, / home, all logic, after the XP ntfs. And then I install  the grub in the MBR which is on the XP partition. When booting, I get a dual-boot XP and I started without problems, but when I boot Arch I get the following problem:

FileSystem CHECK FAILED

And here  I have not managed to solve anything, I have consulted several forum threads where people could think the same thing, wiki, but I have not been solved. If anyone can help me with the installation, or if I am wrong partition table or something, I would be very helpful.

Sorry about my English, it isn't my frist language.

Last edited by xunele (2009-11-13 11:48:32)

#2 2009-11-13 13:13:41

grey

Re: Installing Arch WinXP Dual-Boot

I can see two issues here:

I install  the grub in the MBR which is on the XP partition

The MBR is not on any partition, is sits at the beginning of your disk. Partitions have bootsectors. And you should not install anything into the boot sector of the XP partition, since that will make XP unable to boot. Wikipedia is quite good on these topics.

Secondly, /boot must be on a primary partition.

Good ideas do not need lots of lies told about them in order to gain public acceptance.

Board footer