You are not logged in.

#251 2009-10-25 03:02:28

gogi-goji
Website

Re: Arch on Samsung NC10 ?

To downgrade the firmware, check out the instructions here: http://www.voria.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=248  They worked perfectly for me.

I'm having a couple of issues myself.  First of all, I can't figure out how to disable bluetooth.  In the modules section of my rc.conf, I have !bluetooth and !btusb, but powertop is still reccomending me to turn it off.  After I disable it with powertop, it does go away until I reboot.

Second, I can't seem to enable usbcore.autosuspend=1.  This seems to ba a common issue, though, so I'm not too worried about it.  It would be nice to figure it out, though.

Finally, my acpi keys don't seem to be working.  There are two that I want.  I'd like to get my machine to run pm-suspend when the sleep button is pressed, and run pm-hibernate when the lid is closed.  If I run acpi_listen, press the power button, close the lid, reopen it, and press sleep (for example), I get this:

$ acpi_listen
button/power PWRF 00000080 00000001
button/sleep SLPB 00000080 00000001

So the power button and sleep button are detected, but the closing of the lid is not.  I'd think that there'd be some way to sense the lid closing, since the screen's backlight automagically turns off when the lid is essentially closed. 

My /etc/acpi/handler.sh looks like this:

#!/bin/sh
# Default acpi script that takes an entry for all actions

# NOTE: This is a 2.6-centric script.  If you use 2.4.x, you'll have to
#       modify it to not use /sys

minspeed=`cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_min_freq`
maxspeed=`cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_max_freq`
setspeed="/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_setspeed"

set $*

case "$1" in
    button/power)
        #echo "PowerButton pressed!">/dev/tty5
        case "$2" in
            PWRF)   logger "PowerButton pressed: $2" ;;
            *)      logger "ACPI action undefined: $2" ;;
        esac
        ;;
    button/sleep)
        case "$2" in
            #SLPB)   echo -n mem >/sys/power/state ;;
            SLPB)   sudo pm-suspend; 
        ;;
    ac_adapter)
        case "$2" in
            AC)
                case "$4" in
                    00000000)
                        echo -n $minspeed >$setspeed
                        #/etc/laptop-mode/laptop-mode start
                    ;;
                    00000001)
                        echo -n $maxspeed >$setspeed
                        #/etc/laptop-mode/laptop-mode stop
                    ;;
                esac
                ;;
            *)  logger "ACPI action undefined: $2" ;;
        esac
        ;;
    battery)
        case "$2" in
            BAT0)
                case "$4" in
                    00000000)   #echo "offline" >/dev/tty5
                    ;;
                    00000001)   #echo "online"  >/dev/tty5
                    ;;
                esac
                ;;
            CPU0)    
                ;;
            *)  logger "ACPI action undefined: $2" ;;
        esac
        ;;
    button/lid)
       LID0)
        #echo "LID switched!">/dev/tty5
        #sudo pm-hibernate
        touch /home/cam/lidworking
        ;;
    *)
        logger "ACPI group/action undefined: $1 / $2"
        ;;
esac

For some reason, when I press sleep, which is SLPB, nothing happens.  acpi_listen hears it, but pressing the button does nothing.  The most obvious thing would be a syntax error, but I don't really know how to script, so I see none.  I have hal started as one of my daemons in my rc.conf, so that stould start acpid.  I don't know what my problem is here.

My (sporadically updated) blog
My miscellaneous dotfiles

#252 2009-10-26 08:59:12

kYd

gogi-goji wrote:

xblacklight.....Bluetooth .... Finally, my acpi keys don't seem to be working....

I have no problems with xbacklight at all, works fine without having to downgrade.

To disable bluetooth I have the following in my /etc/rc.local:

hciconfig hci0 down ; rmmod btusb
echo "suspend" > /sys/bus/usb/devices/3-2/power/level

I don't use the handler.sh script; I use separate "event" scripts - it's easier to manage.
To go into suspend with the sleep button, I have /etc/acpi/events/sleep which contains:

event=button/sleep
action=/etc/acpi/actions/sleep.sh "%e"

and the action for this is in /etc/acpi/actions/sleep.sh which contains:

logger "Sleep button pressed, suspending."
pm-suspend --quirk-vbestate-restore

Don't forget to make the action script executable.

To make the netbook go into hibernate when the lid is closed, put the following in /etc/acpi/events/lid:

event=button/lid
action=/etc/acpi/actions/lid.sh "%e"

and in /etc/acpi/actions/lid.sh:

logger "Lid closed; hibernating

Last edited by kYd (2009-10-26 14:31:28)

#253 2009-10-29 01:34:50

Xisdibik

I just installed Arch Linux on my netbook again and I cannot get the microphone to work in skype.  I can hear my friend, and the webcam works fine, but the microphone will not recieve my voice.  Ive tried going into alsamixer and making sure the mic was not at 0, and tried swithing input,  it only gives me the option of auto select mic and internal mic.   

Did something happen i remember when alsa mixer .19 worked, now its .21  Any ideas?

#254 2009-11-01 14:16:54

john_schaf

In alsamixer, press F4 and play with the controls. Especially I had to change "input source" to "internal" instead of "auto"

#255 2009-11-01 17:25:55

Xisdibik

been trying that.  Another thing thats bugging me is,   ibus-daemon is set on my autostart.sh for openbox, and when the computer turns on, it shows in the taskbar perfectly,  when I logout, and log back in, it no longer shows in the taskbar.  and if i run it in the terminal, it says that its already running.

#256 2009-11-04 03:39:54

gogi-goji
Website

Sorry for being so slow after your response, kYd.  This week and a half has been absolutely retarded for me.

I'm having no luck whatsoever with your advice.  I started by restoring my original, default handler.sh file.  I then added in (manual copy-pasta) the sleep and lid files in events and the sleep.sh and lid.sh in actions (they didn't exist before).  With a bit of experimentation, I determined that they were having no effect, and the handler.sh file was still dictating what was going on.  I then moved handler.sh to a different location so that it wouldn't override the other scripts.  Keep in mind that I really have no idea what I'm doing, I'm just kind of shooting around in the dark.  After moving handler.sh, my sleep button no longer made my computer suspend.  However, my laptop went crazy when I closed the lid.  It hibernated, but when I brought it back up, it was good for ~5-10 seconds (not sure exactly, less than 15) and then suspended to ram with no input from me.  And then hibernated again.  And then suspended again.  And hibernated and suspended once more.  Bloody bizzare.  I left my laptop running for a few minutes, just because I had no idea what was going on, but it didn't turn itself off again.  I tested closing the lid again, and I got the same result.  3 hibernates and 3 suspends, alternating.  I then moved my "lid" and "lm_lid" files in /etc/acpi/events, so they were no longer being triggered.  When I closed the lid then, it hibernated, then suspended after about 5 seconds of being up. 

Evidently, I really have no idea what's going on.  I don't get it.

Your bluetooth tip worked perfectly for me, though.  tongue

#257 2009-11-04 12:44:03

kYd

gogi-goji wrote:

Sorry for being so slow after your response, kYd.  This week and a half has been absolutely retarded for me.

I then added in (manual copy-pasta) the sleep and lid files in events and the sleep.sh and lid.sh in actions (they didn't exist before).

They wouldn't exist. You can either use the default handler.sh file and put everything in that file, or instead, just create separate files; i just find it easier to work with.

In the events folder you have separate scripts that listen for a certain action (power button pressed, lid closed etc) it then calls the required script in the actions folder to do what ever.
Just make sure you rename the handler.sh to handler.sh.orig or something first so that one doesn't take over.

gogi-goji wrote:

However, my laptop went crazy when I closed the lid.  It hibernated, but when I brought it back up, it was good for ~5-10 seconds (not sure exactly, less than 15) and then suspended to ram with no input from me.  And then hibernated again.  And then suspended again.  And hibernated and suspended once more.  Bloody bizzare.

Not too sure why it's doing that, i've only just started playing with acpi myself.
What do you have in the action script for the lid (in /etc/acpi/acitons); i did made a mistake in my original post it should be:

/etc/acpi/actions/lid.sh wrote:

logger "Lid closed, hibernating."
pm-hibernate

You may have to play around with pm-hiberante (and pm-supsend) and pass certain arguments to the command to get it working correctly.
For me to suspend I have to use:
pm-suspend --quirk-vbestate-restore

Hope it helps.

#258 2009-11-07 04:01:23

gogi-goji
Website

Ok, I fixed my hibernate and suspend.  See here: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=84221

#259 2009-11-07 04:58:04

gogi-goji
Website

What are people here using to toggle wireless on and off?

#260 2009-11-13 16:54:10

kuyantus
Website

I have a problem with the Fn+(up/down) keys. System can't recognize them, then I launch xbindkeys -k and press Fn+up/down, nothing happening. of course, I can change the brightness manually or I can assign the another key combination, but it's not convenient smile so, how my system can recognize Fn+(up/down) keys? I'm using Samsung N310 (I think, it's almost same with NC10), Arch, of course smile 2.6.31 kernel, DE is XFCE.

#261 2009-11-14 23:05:07

Aedit

@kuyantus: I'd guess the N310 function keys situation is similar to the N140: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Samsung_N140, i.e. use patched 2.6.31 or use 2.6.32 (release candidate).

#262 2009-11-17 10:04:40

scooby

I have the XF86BrightnessUp problem as well. The key is recognised using xbindkeys -k (reported as XF86BrightnessUp), but it doesn't do anything. XF86BrightnessDown works fine, as does using xbacklight -set ...

Is this a bios problem or a linux problem? Using bios 11CA at the moment. Is it possible for a "linux" fix for this problem, or do I downgrade the bios?

#263 2009-11-17 10:48:16

kjon

gogi-goji wrote:

What are people here using to toggle wireless on and off?

my rfkill.sh

#! /bin/sh
estado=0

for i in $(ls /sys/class/rfkill/rfkill*/state | xargs cat)
    do
        if [ $i = 1 ] ; then
            estado=1
        fi
    done

if [ $estado = 1 ] ; then

for i in $(ls /sys/class/rfkill/rfkill*/state)
                do
                        echo 0 > $i
                done

/etc/rc.d/wicd stop
        /etc/rc.d/bluetooth stop
        modprobe -r ath5k
        modprobe -r btusb
    else
        modprobe ath5k
        modprobe btusb

for i in $(ls /sys/class/rfkill/rfkill*/state)
        do
            echo 1 > $i
        done

/etc/rc.d/wicd start
        /etc/rc.d/bluetooth start
    fi

Add a sudo entry for this script to be executed as normal user, without password. Something like

root    ALL=(ALL) ALL
%wheel    ALL=(ALL) ALL
%kjon    ALL=NOPASSWD: /home/kjon/scripts/rfkill.sh

I know that my solution is far from elegant and optimal. But, fortunately, It works for me xD

They say that if you play a Win cd backward you hear satanic messages. That's nothing! 'cause if you play it forwards, it installs windows.

#264 2009-11-17 18:47:42

scooby

I think I have fixed my screen brightness problems with the Fn keys using the 11CA bios.

I have "xbacklight -dec 10" bound to Fn+Brightness Down button, which is XF86BrightnessDown button. This command works fine, there are 7 steps between brightest and dimmest.

Binding "xbacklight -inc 10" to the Fn+Brightness Up button (XF86BrightnessUp) does nothing. However, if I change this command to "xbacklight -inc 20" , then brightness increases as expected. There are 7 steps on the way back to max brightness.

"xbacklight -set 0" is the same brightness as the dimmest you can make it with the function keys.

I noticed that there were also 7 steps in screen brightness while running XP.

At a guess, I would say you can't really change brightness by a set percentage now, there are seven fixed steps set in the bios.
Might be wrong about that.

Last edited by scooby (2009-11-17 18:48:43)

#265 2009-11-18 15:50:03

chokchaioldschool

gogi-goji wrote:

Ok, I fixed my hibernate and suspend.  See here: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=84221

Thanks a lot for this info.

#266 2010-01-20 17:44:15

nonickknown

Hi,
everyone here who got a problem with xbacklight?
since maybe 3 days i am not able to change the backlight.

"xbacklight" shows this "error"...

No outputs have backlight property

what can i do now?

#267 2010-01-20 18:27:14

lswest
Website

nonickknown wrote:

Hi,
everyone here who got a problem with xbacklight?
since maybe 3 days i am not able to change the backlight.

"xbacklight" shows this "error"...

No outputs have backlight property

what can i do now?

Check to see if KMS is enabled...if it is, the backlight won't work.  There's a workaround in the Samsung NC10 wiki entry.  If you don't need KMS, I'd say it's easiest to disable it.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by lswest (2010-01-20 18:28:57)

Lswest <- the first letter of my username is a lowercase "L".
"...the Linux philosophy is "laugh in the face of danger". Oops. Wrong one. "Do it yourself". That's it." - Linus Torvalds

#268 2010-01-20 18:31:21

nonickknown

oh thanks... i forgot to look for new entries in the wiki.

thank you

#269 2010-03-29 02:44:47

gogi-goji
Website

Yeah, the xbacklight is now broken for me, too.  I haven't bothered to implement the setpci workaround yet. 

More importantly, pm-hibernate seems to be broken now.  For both 2.6.32-ARCH and 2.6.33-bfs, my computer will not resume properly after pm-hibernate, even though pm-suspend works just fine.  If you use pm-hibernate, the netbook will shut off, not cleanly dismounting the disks.  Upon the next boot, nothing will resume.  Log file: http://paste.pocoo.org/show/195071/Can anyone else confirm this? 

I haven't bothered to test out the different quirks and all that jazz yet.

#270 2010-03-29 09:58:26

john_schaf

For theses reasons, I stayed with kernel 2.6.31 and without KMS. hmm

#271 2010-03-30 22:00:41

shahin

Anyone got any performance tips for the NC10? Maybe I should recompile the kernel with Intel Atom-support? Will that speed things up?

Other tips and tricks specifically for netbooks or NC10 is greatly welcomed.

#272 2010-03-31 17:26:59

biniou

In my case, the only thing that keeping me from using Arch is the noise of the fan which is higher than with Debian.

Sorry for my bad english

#273 2010-04-01 05:36:10

gogi-goji
Website

My netbook has felt way more responsive after rebuilding my kernel with bfs.  I haven't tested how it affects battery life, though.  I'd be interested to hear about how the kernel with atom support fares.

I've noticed excessive fan noise on my desktop computer, which also runs Arch Linux.  I assumed it was just a Linux issue.  I wasn't aware the loud fan was just Arch-specific.

#274 2010-08-13 20:18:32

shinuza

For those who still have trouble with backlight, here's what I did. And I'm not ashamed :

~/.bin/brightness

#!/usr/bin/env python
import os
import sys

COMMAND = 'setpci -s 00:02.1 F4.B=%s'
FILE = os.path.join(os.environ['HOME'],'.brightness')
OFFSETS = {'up':16, 'down':-16}

def write(brightness):
    f = open(FILE, 'w')
    f.write(str(brightness))
    f.close()

def status():
    if not os.path.isfile(FILE):
        os.system('touch %s' % FILE)

f = open(FILE)
    content = f.read()
    return 255 if content == '' else content

def next(curr, step):
    _value = curr + step 
    return _value > 0 and _value <= 255

def main():
    step = 16
    curr = status()
    command = sys.argv[1] if len(sys.argv) > 1 else None

if command and command in OFFSETS.keys():
        curr = int(curr)
        add = OFFSETS[command]

if next(curr, add):
            result = int(curr) + int(add)
            write(result)
            os.system(COMMAND % hex(result))
    else:
        print 'Usage: backlight [up|down]'

if __name__ == '__main__':
    main()

~/.bashrc

PATH=$PATH:/home/yourusername/.bin

/etc/rc.local

chown yourusername /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000\:00\:02.1/config  
chgrp users /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000\:00\:02.1/config

That last bit is super ugly, but meh...

PS : You need python <= 2.5 for this to work

#275 2011-11-14 17:20:58

clockworkrat

So I've managed to get pretty much everything working ... somehow. Even my backlight is working without a hitch big_smile

Now my main problem is that I have a nice big monitor that I'd like to use so I have more estate to work with when doing coursework (i.e. having a terminal window, pdf, keepnote, and abiword visible at once), but I've been utterly unable to find anything that I can understand to allow me to adjust the display resolution accordingly. I'm fine with having a single display across both monitors, but I can't seem to adjust the display to 1440x900.

[solved] I went back to the xrandr wiki and finally worked it out with the cvt command and '--newmode'/'--addmode'.

Last edited by clockworkrat (2011-11-16 20:57:28)

Board footer