You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-14 22:07:18

KimTjik

Mounting of removable media: Hal - PolicyKit - Conselekit

I've struggled a bit myself since the latest upgrade of hal. I've spent a lot of time reading testing, reading again, testing again, and even if I have a auto mounting working at the moment I'm just as confused as when I begin. Personally I'm not upset or disappointed, so that's not why I write.

A developer uttered in one thread about the issue that he wished we started to think and get consolekit to work. Fine but were do we find a starting point to read up and understand? What I've tested and compared to the information I managed to collect:

- GDM or KDM now takes care of these matters and hence no need for any extra configuration
- PolicyKit is deprecated (?) so despite the Wiki and forum having some info about it we should look elsewhere
- If using SLiM or any other none GDM or KDM solution we should look for ck-launch-session to activate Consolekit (it didn't work for me but some imply that it does... or is this a missunderstanding?)
- The only way without I got it to work together with SLiM was to add group "power" and "storage" to /etc/dbus-1/system.d/hal.conf, but the statements by the developer I mentioned above gives me the impression that this is also the wrong way

These changes might seem banal for some but to me it looks like pretty big changes. Two questions:

- Will there be any clarifying announcement and how do we find documentation?
- How can we help to give the correct answers and not spreading home brewed fixes?

#2 2009-11-14 22:33:14

grey

Re: Mounting of removable media: Hal - PolicyKit - Conselekit

There's already a thread about this: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=84635

Regarding your points, here is my understanding:
- GDM and KDM "take care of things" insofar as they invoke a consolekit session automatically. Slim doesn't, neither does startx, so then you need to do it yourself by adding ck-launch-session
- If you are in a consolekit session, you should have an entry in /var/run/console, and the at_console policy rules in hal.conf apply.
- These rules are quite permissive: for example, they allow you to reboot and to mount fixed internal drives.

You shouldn't need to add power and storage rules to hal.conf unless you have modified the default access control files. What exactly is not working without these rules?

Good ideas do not need lots of lies told about them in order to gain public acceptance.

#3 2009-11-15 00:14:13

KimTjik

One of the threads I had in mind was the one you refer to. There are other related threads as well. I choose to start a separate "Arch discussion" thread since those other suggest different approaches without any consensus.

My setup: SLiM >> Awesome (or Window-maker). I start them with ck-launch-session (in .xinitrc). I've no modifications to HAL-related configurations files when trying this out. Still newly add devices returns HAL error messages about "rejecting send message". Maybe I'm not getting it, but I don't get anything created in /var/run/ like a console directory. Do I have to manually create it? I've reinstalled and checked required packages and can't find anything missing.

If you by referring to that thread, what exactly in it gives precise answers to how to proceed?

#4 2009-11-15 00:20:19

grey

Do

$ ck-launch-session

in a terminal as yourself, then check again. /var/run/console should be created by root when the first consolekit session is started.
Also check that you are running a session with ps -ef.

Good ideas do not need lots of lies told about them in order to gain public acceptance.

#5 2009-11-15 01:09:50

KimTjik

Thanks for the clarification.

I found the issue. Since I in .xinitrc to manage several wm:s there must be something odd about it, because a plain .xinitrc with "exec ck-launch-session awesome" works but not the same command put like this:

DEFAULT_SESSION=awesome
case $1 in
pekwm)
    exec ck-launch-session pekwm
    ;;
awesome)
        exec ck-launch-session awesome
        ;;
wmaker)
    exec ck-launch-session wmaker
    ;;
*)
    exec $DEFAULT_SESSION
    ;;
esac

Probably I missed something obvious.

#6 2009-11-15 01:20:14

grey

exec ck-launch-session $DEFAULT_SESSION

#7 2009-11-15 09:37:41

KimTjik

I tried that as well. Choosing by F1 in SLiM what entry to start doesn't make a difference. I'll keep on trying to find out how to get this typical multi-wm set up for SLiM to work.

Now I get it to work... ? Still can't find any difference to what I previously tried.

So far so good. Thanks!

I hope though that the ones who understand this fully update the Wiki to better reflect the now preferred approach.

Last edited by KimTjik (2009-11-15 09:41:54)

Board footer