You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-14 23:52:12

ssl6

video-in on nvidia?

I'm in a little bit of a situation here. I have 2 DVD's passed to me from a friend, its her son's last show that he played before he died, so when she asked me to make her a few copies I said there was no problem.

It turns out the discs are straight out of the camcorder, just raw data, I can't find any way to read them in a computer, I can make an ISO and burn it off, but thats it. However, they do play in my DVD player just fine.

So I just spent the last 2 days going all over town, checking stores, and recyclers and asking everyone i know if they have any dead mobo's so i can find a bios to hotswap, because i needed to repair my a7n8x-e board, because its the best thing i have with an AGP slot to use for video encoding. reason i need AGP, obviously is because I'm too poor to buy new hardware for the job, and I have a Geforce 3, and an FX5950 both with video-in, that I can use to record from the DVD player.

So now I'm in a little bit of a bind, I was going to use Windows XP, but I can't find my disc. Then I thought Vista, but I know it won't install with less than 768mb of ram, and I only had 512mb of DDR around to put in this thing. I'm running a Windows 7 RTM home basic install to try out at the moment, but I have my doubts with that one. I'm sure windows would be the easiest to setup for recording, and then i can transfer whatever to my Quad system for the final editing.

But if this one fails, I'm going to have to run arch, which I really don't have a problem with, I run it on everything, But I want to get this done without messing with stuff for a month to get it working, since this is one of those things thats a little new to me, and I don't have much time for trial and error.

So I figure I'll ask here, maybe try to get a little help ahead of time, I'm wondering if anyone here has had success using Video-In on nvidia cards for this kind of job, and what I might use, or suggestions on any good resources that might help me out here for this?

this is a signature

#2 2009-11-15 08:10:46

Dheart

Re: video-in on nvidia?

So.... What do you want? Do make copies of the disk with the raw data, or to RIP the DVD and than make copies with .avi?
In the first case I think there was a program called dvdbackup or something like that, that would rip the dvd in VIDEO_TS folder, which you could than burn to another disk.
In the second case you again use dvdbackup and then choose software encoder of your liking.

My victim you are meant to be
No, you cannot hide nor flee
You know what I'm looking for
Pleasure your torture, I will endure...

#3 2009-11-15 09:27:10

ssl6

thats the problem, these DVD's, dont have a video_ts folder on them, linux doesn't even recognize a disc in the drive when i put it in, same with windows 7, and windows vista. XP comes the closest, it recognizes that there is a disc, but only allows to check properties, and shows the filesystem type as "RAW". like i said, the discs came straight out of a DVD camcorder, this is likely one of the many reasons those things didn't last long on the market. But, like i said, they play in the standalone DVD player. thats why i was looking into hooking up the standalone player, through the line in on my soundcard, and video-in on either my geforce 3, or geforce FX5950.

basically, Windows 7 did work on the system, but i forgot it lacked support for anything older than a geforce 6xxx. Vista I didn't bother trying, since I'm pretty sure it won't install on anything with less than 768mb ram. XP is running on it right now, had to use the nvidia 56.xx drivers for the WDM driver to work, otherwise i couldn't capture with movie maker, it would just tell me my capture device was busy or something.

while i was having trouble getting XP setup to do this, i did some research on using linux. basically, its a clusterf##k to say the least. using video-in on an nvidia card that is. Essentially, you need rivatv, which doesn't work with the newer nvidia drivers, only the older ones, like older than legacy, and the legacy drivers themselves don't work with the newer xorg. not to mention rivatv was made for the old v4l, not v4l2, its basically just fallen behind completely, I imagine i could easily spend a week trying to get it to work.

windows movie maker is capturing the first disc right now though, hopefully, it doesn't lock up, or crash, or fail to produce anything useable....we'll see. if it does work though, I'll be saving it as mpeg2, to transfer to another machine over LAN for the final transcoding. one thing's for sure, this would have been a lot easier if i had the camcorder that recorded them, I could have just hooked it up via usb or firewire and and captured it that way

Last edited by ssl6 (2009-11-15 09:40:43)

this is a signature

#4 2009-11-15 15:43:19

fsckd
Forum Fellow

Are these those small (3-inch?) DVDs? What happens when you enter isoinfo  -d -i /dev/path_to_dvd? (Just curious, I don't think I can solve your problem, sorry.)

Thanks.

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#5 2009-11-15 16:46:31

ssl6

here's the output from isoinfo, not sure what it means.

[urmom@urmom-pc hypervc-qt4]$ isoinfo  -d -i /dev/dvd0
Errno: 5 (Input/output error), test unit ready scsi sendcmd: no error
CDB:  00 00 00 00 00 00
Sense Bytes: 70 00 02 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 3A 01 00 00
Sense Key: 0x2 Not Ready, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x3A Qual 0x01 (medium not present - tray closed) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
cmd finished after 0.000s timeout 20s
isoinfo: No such file or directory. Unable to open /dev/dvd0

i don't think i need to worry about it though. i just woke up, and checked what windows movie maker captured from the DVD player and the first disc, quality seems pretty good, though there's very little compression. so now, i need to transfer that to my other machine to start re-authoring, and while im doing that i can get the second disc going.

it seems to be working out ok, its a lot of extra work though compared to the normal ripping process'

Last edited by ssl6 (2009-11-15 16:49:25)

this is a signature

#6 2009-11-15 17:09:45

fsckd
Forum Fellow

Hmm, that means there's no disk in the drive or it thinks there's no disk in the drive. I was wondering what it would say for a raw formatted DVD (I have none to test on). Thanks!

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#7 2009-11-15 17:54:33

ssl6

yeah, see what I mean, I'd love to b!tchslap who ever designed those things honestly. but at least it plays in the DVD player, so I'm managing to get it done. its just a hassle. I'm mostly just glad I fixed that motherboard, I guess i needed the right motivation. I miss that Athlon XP-m big_smile i just wish i had better ram to give it

this is a signature

Board footer