You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-07 02:06:33

ozeki

Filesystem Check Failed [SOLVED]

I apologize if this is the wrong section, but I don't know where else to post it.

My problem started about an hour ago. I was running Firefox, Deluge, and VLC. I started to notice a lot of skipping in the sound of my audio files, so I shut down Firefox and Deluge. Still noticed plenty of skipping in VLC. I started Firefox back up and got some strange error (sorry, I can't remember what it said). After a few minutes my desktop become very slow to respond. For example, I clicked on my panel menu icon and it took a full five seconds for the menu to show. I have never had these sort of problems on Arch. All this instability just came at once. I decided it was best to reboot and see what happens. After my reboot I got this message:

"Filesystem Check Failed. Please repair manually and reboot. Note that the root file system is currently mounted read-only. To remount it read-write type: mount -n -o remount,rw / When you exit the maintenance shell the system will reboot automatically"

I went into root and typed the command as suggested, but nothing happened. I typed startx and just got a bunch of errors. I typed xinit and got a bunch of errors. I have no idea what happened to my system. I didn't install anything or mess with any config files today.

As for my system, I have the Xfce4 DE with Ext4. My computer is a Toshiba laptop, about one year old. I am writing this from a Linux Mint Live CD.

Last edited by ozeki (2009-11-16 07:14:59)

#2 2009-11-07 02:13:36

grey

Re: Filesystem Check Failed [SOLVED]

Does the Live CD come with gparted? If yes, you can use it to run file system checks on your arch partitions.
But before doing that back up all important data. Again from the LiveCD mount the partitions read only, then copy your data to a safe place.

Good ideas do not need lots of lies told about them in order to gain public acceptance.

#3 2009-11-07 02:13:44

sHyLoCk

Does it ask for root password when you get that message after reboot? It should. Type it. Then type :

fsck /dev/sdaX

Do this for all your Linux partitions and ofcourse replace X with the appropriate drive number.

~ Regards,
sHy
ArchBang: Yet another Distro for Allan to break.
Blog | GIT | Forum (。◕‿◕。)

#4 2009-11-07 02:43:19

ozeki

sHyLoCk wrote:

Does it ask for root password when you get that message after reboot? It should. Type it. Then type :

fsck /dev/sdaX

Do this for all your Linux partitions and ofcourse replace X with the appropriate drive number.

SDA2 (my boot partition) gave me this: "The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct EXT2 filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an EXT2 filesystem (and not swap or UFS or something else), then the superblock is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock: e2fsck -b 8193 <device>"

SDA3 gave me some error about orphaned inodes, and prompted me to fix them. I clicked yes, yes, yes all the way through, then it prompted me to reboot. Upon rebooting the computer I was able to startx as I normally do, and I don't see any problems now. Arch is back to being responsive as always.

What happened? Is this indicative of a greater problem that I am going to be plagued with now? Gnome disk utility does indicate that I have a bad reallocated sector count of 140.

By the way, thank you both for your advice. I am very happy to be back in action.

Last edited by ozeki (2009-11-07 02:44:03)

#5 2009-11-07 05:10:26

teh
Website

I usually get that annoying message in an ext3 shared partition when i'm working in another ext3 partition ("/" root for Debian) and then i just execute:

e2fsck /dev/sdxx

I read a force solution that consists in avoid that scan but i don't recommend.

arst

#6 2009-11-07 05:22:40

efeX

Correct me if i'm wrong but his drives could be /hdxx inside of /sdxx right?

#7 2009-11-07 05:23:40

ozeki

teh wrote:

I usually get that annoying message in an ext3 shared partition when i'm working in another ext3 partition ("/" root for Debian) and then i just execute:

e2fsck /dev/sdxx

I read a force solution that consists in avoid that scan but i don't recommend.

But it was strange because I wasn't working in another partition. Just doing my everyday routine. I still wish I knew what I did to trigger it.

#8 2009-11-07 05:35:36

ozeki

efeX wrote:

Correct me if i'm wrong but his drives could be /hdxx inside of /sdxx right?

My disk is scsi, so it would be sdxx.

#9 2009-11-10 00:21:35

HommeBarbu

I remember getting this message the other day. What happened was, one day during a reboot, my bios clock was askew and I had to reset it. And it fixed everything. I hope this information helps. Good luck!

#10 2009-11-10 01:54:01

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

HommeBarbu wrote:

I remember getting this message the other day. What happened was, one day during a reboot, my bios clock was askew and I had to reset it. And it fixed everything. I hope this information helps. Good luck!

If the error message is something along the lines of "Last mount was in the future", then that would fix it, yes.
Also, deleting /var/lib/hwclock/adjtime after remounting rw will work.
(Daylight savings time havoc.)

#11 2009-11-14 00:03:34

ozeki

OK, new information. The problem originally occurred while I was using Deluge. After the fsck everything was fine, and was fine for every day since then until last night, when I started Deluge up again. After an hour or so of running it the system started to slow down again, videos and mp3s wouldn't play properly, and Firefox started throwing cryptic errors just like before. I immediately did a pacman -Rns deluge and rebooted my computer. No problems now and the filesystem appears to be fine again.

It's clear that deluge was the problem, but I still don't know why.

#12 2009-11-14 00:06:49

lilsirecho
Veteran

Perhaps "deluge" did what its name implies...deluged your cpu and caused it to throttle...........

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#13 2009-11-16 07:12:52

ozeki

Ahhh, I should have seen this coming then. At least I cannot accuse them of false advertising.

Board footer