You are not logged in.

#101 2009-11-07 03:54:30

chris.griffith

Re: Poulsbo aka Intel GMA500 drivers PKGBUILD

Hi gang,

I have run into many issues.  To give an update...

I crafted some nice PKGBUILDS that used the rpm's AdamW has posted at rpm-fusion to generate arch packages.  So in order to test my handy work, I removed all the packages I previously whittled together by hand, and installed all new packages. Now my xserver wont start.  So, until I can work out the issues, I do not want to post anything.

My dilema is that the kernel-psb module loads, and I have a nice framebuffer.  But when xserver starts to load, it craps out with no logging to help me.  I suspect it is due to how AdamW's libdrm-poulsbo is installed along side of libdrm.  Also, I recently upgraded to xserver 1.7.1.  AdamW says his packages will work with this server and kernel.

sorry for the delay, but it is not for lack of effort.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.
Those who can read binary, and those who can't.

#102 2009-11-07 04:07:11

sxtynnmach1

chris.griffith wrote:

But when xserver starts to load, it craps out with no logging to help me.

I seem to remember having similar issues while I was trying to configure this driver on Ubuntu. In that case it didn't seem like it was a libdrm conflict, but the following xorg.conf snippet worked for me:

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "GMA500"
        Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"
#        Option "DRI" "off"
        Option "MigrationHeuristic" "greedy"
        Option "IgnoreACPI" "yes"
        Driver "psb"
EndSection

Section "DRI"
    Mode    0666
EndSection

You can find the original thread I pulled this from here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7885128

In my case the symptoms were X failing, and then X trying to reinitialize itself on other display ports. This would occur just before the GDM login screen. Again, not sure if this is at all related, but hopefully it helps.

EDIT: Ah, forgot to mention this from that thread as well:

I think the key elements are:
* Alberto's libdrm-poulsbo1 which doesn't collide with Karmic's librdm2
* Blacklisting i915 and updating initramfs, so i915 and wrong drm.ko are *not* loaded

Last edited by sxtynnmach1 (2009-11-07 04:11:14)

Hello Darkness, my old friend. I've come to speak with you again.

#103 2009-11-09 00:16:14

gsscalet

Hello there!
Wouldn't be nice to have a archlinux wiki page about how to make this video card work!? I've read that the pkgbuild itself can't be posted on AUR but I don't think that a wiki page would have a problem.
Plus I could configure my Acer A0751h tongue, I couldn't do it by myself (maybe I've screwed up to something...) and that would be clarifying

Waiting for new replys here. And if I have news here, I'll manage a wiki page for this!

#104 2009-11-12 08:10:10

danboid

Any updates?

I installed Arch on my Mini 10 (aka Inspiron 1010 as they're called in UK) on the weekend. I've not had chance to try getting the psb driver working yet so I've been checking this thread daily waiting for either a PKGBUILD or step-by-step instructions as I understand the instructions and repo given here don't work (properly) with the current Arch xorg server, correct?

I'm hoping I'll be able to get the psb driver working with the RT kernel pkg from ArchAudio. 3D accel would be nice but I'm not really that bothered about it- I'm much more concerned about getting the correct res, good 2D accel and I also need Xv and pref. Xvmc support too for decent video playback.

Some of you will have read on phoronix that Intel have actually wrote a proper psb xorg driver and its actually quite exceptional in that it includes prob. the first fully functional Gallium3D driver. Sadly the G3D module is still a binary blob but the 2D stuff is FOSS- phoronix didn't let on when we could expect a public release of the full driver but could this be the new psb xorg driver and will we get better 2D performance using this than hacking the Ubuntu driver into shape:

http://www.t2-project.org/packages/xf86-video-psb.html

?

#105 2009-11-12 14:52:57

chris.griffith

O.K.

Here is what I got!  I have been able to get all my PKGBUILDs to work, and I am ready to publish them.  Just out of curiosity, is there like a place to post these unofficially to get feedback, or should I just post them in AUR and handle any problems that may come up.  Anyone posted PKGBUILDs out there can give me advice?

So here is the skinny.  The poulsbo drivers can work with kernel 2.6.31.x(arch package kernel26-2.6.31.5-1-i686.pkg.tar.gz), but do not work with xserver 1.7.  So, I had to downgrade back to xserver 1.6.3 (xorg-server-1.6.3.901-1-i686.pkg.tar.gz).  Also, although AdamW says his libdrm-pouslbo will work along side libdrm, I was not able to do so.  So, you will have to forcefully remove libdrm and replace it with libdrm-poulsbo.

my xorg.conf is very basic, it just includes a Device node with an identifier and driver set to "psb".  The xorg psb driver already has all default option values set.

However, while working on all this, I also used the uvesafb with i915resultion framebuffer option.  I would say for basic 2d, that would be sufficient for most people.  I am struggling myself with which option I should continue to use.  I actually got better movie playing performance (with vlc) using the framebuffer (xorg-video-fbdev + uvesafb + i915) than with poulsbo drivers.  Not being competent in graphics benchmarks I can only go by how applications I use perform.

In any case, I am ready to post these PKGBUILDs in the hopes of helping anyone.  Stay tuned.

#106 2009-11-13 01:50:37

gsscalet

chris.griffith wrote:

O.K.
However, while working on all this, I also used the uvesafb with i915resultion framebuffer option.  I would say for basic 2d, that would be sufficient for most people.  I am struggling myself with which option I should continue to use.  I actually got better movie playing performance (with vlc) using the framebuffer (xorg-video-fbdev + uvesafb + i915) than with poulsbo drivers.  Not being competent in graphics benchmarks I can only go by how applications I use perform.

Oh yeah! I've just realized that VESA is WAY worse than FBDEV. Thanks for saying it. Now I can play with this Poulsbo shipped netbook better (although 720p isn't going good (and may I expect some improvement on this?!)).

How I done that:
/etc/X11/xorg.conf

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier    "Generic Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier    "Generic VGA"
    Driver    "fbdev"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier    "Screen 1"
    Device    "Generic VGA"
    Monitor    "Generic Monitor"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier    "another layout"
    Screen    "Screen 1"
EndSection

Don't forget also to have the xorg-video-fbdev package:

pacman -S xorg-video-fbdev

I guess that is it! If you also plan having a good resolution on ttys (the non-graphic terminal, that appears on boot before the login screen) use the 915resolution package. A suficient guide is the one found on the archlinux wiki:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Uvesafb

Thx!

ps: I know... there was some of this information on this thread already, but somehow I missed it so I'm posting this for othere people like me to get a reasonable solution on this.

Last edited by gsscalet (2009-11-13 01:52:04)

#107 2009-11-13 02:33:58

skottish
Forum Fellow

Use 915resolution-static and not the other package. It's patched to work with the GMA500 where the other one isn't.

uvesafb works pretty well if 2D is the only thing needed. The colors are a bit dull, but the overall performance is surprisingly good.

#108 2009-11-13 03:49:16

imraro

Is where any solutions to control the display brightness with fbdev driver?

#109 2009-11-13 07:59:15

danboid

Chris.griffith:

I'm eagerly awaiting your pkgbuild although its both surprising and very sad you say that fbdev gives better video playback than using a psb driver. Sounds like you're using a bare-bones xorg.conf though- have you not tried some of the various xorg.conf options recommended to speed up 2D in this thread and elsewhere (Ubuntu forum etc.)?

gsscalet:

Thanks for sharing your fbdev tips with us but I suspect if I used that xorg.conf I wouldn't be getting my full 1024x576 res but I'd prob be stuck on a (virtually unusable) 640x480 desktop on my Mini 10 right? I had a quick google and it would seem xbox Linux uses this same res and people have been successful in getting fbdev running at 1024x576:

http://osdir.com/ml/ports.xbox.user/200 … 00273.html

All:

I should've checked that link to the psb driver source on the t2 site that I posted before as the link is dead- sorry. Does anyone know if that archive contains the same source that Ubuntu/ AdamW/ Chris are using? Also, I was wrong about the Phoronix article not giving a time for the proper psb driver release. It doesn't give an exact date but it is expected late this year or early next:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n … &px=NzY2Mg

Speaking of phoronix, we could use the Phoronix Test Suite to benchmark the 2D performance of fbdev against the psb driver:

http://www.phoronix-test-suite.com/

I'll have the chance to test out Chris' PKGBUILD this weekend, if he posts them soon- fingers crossed!

#110 2009-11-13 14:32:56

gsscalet

danboid wrote:

gsscalet:

Thanks for sharing your fbdev tips with us but I suspect if I used that xorg.conf I wouldn't be getting my full 1024x576 res but I'd prob be stuck on a (virtually unusable) 640x480 desktop on my Mini 10 right? I had a quick google and it would seem xbox Linux uses this same res and people have been successful in getting fbdev running at 1024x576:

http://osdir.com/ml/ports.xbox.user/200 … 00273.html

Well, the resolution here is set up correctly. But I remember having a VESA working with only 1024x768 (my native resolution (from Acer A0751h) is 1366x768) and the 915 had fixed my problem. Try that out for the X. (For a good resolution on tty framebuffer try the uvesafb)

#111 2009-11-13 14:34:27

gsscalet

imraro wrote:

Is where any solutions to control the display brightness with fbdev driver?

Great question! I have that issue too. But at least it isn't too boring because it's stucked on the lowest brightness level. If it was the highest (like it happens with some nvidia cards) it'd be worse.

#112 2009-11-13 15:09:36

imraro

gsscalet wrote:

If it was the highest (like it happens with some nvidia cards) it'd be worse.

It happens with my 751's display sad

#113 2009-11-13 15:14:30

gsscalet

imraro wrote:
gsscalet wrote:

If it was the highest (like it happens with some nvidia cards) it'd be worse.

It happens with my 751's display sad

Strange... is that any hardcoded way to change that? On this thread we've seen that but I think it was adhoc for psb driver.

Edit: Found that! Check if you have anything like "/sys/class/backlight/psblvds/brightness" and change it. Post here if it works

Last edited by gsscalet (2009-11-13 15:18:00)

#114 2009-11-13 15:34:30

imraro

# ls -l /sys/class/backlight 
total 0

#115 2009-11-14 15:07:28

chris.griffith

Hi gang,

I finally got those PKGBUILDs submitted.  As this is my first attempt at this, I would appreciate any and all comments.  As I mentioned in previous posts, you will need to remove libdrm in order to install libdrm-poulsbo.  Also, you will need to be using xorg-xserver < 1.7 in order for x11 driver to work properly.  In previous post I said that xorg-video-fbdev gave better performance, well the jury is still out on that one.  But I am not completely satisfied with with the psb driver or framebuffer.  I can't wait for the new version of these drivers to come out at end of year.

You will want to build and install in this order...

1) psb-firmware 0.30-1
2) psb-kmod 4.41.1-1
3) libdrm-poulsbo 2.3.0-1
4) xpsb-glx 0.18-1
5) xorg-x11-drv-psb 0.31.0-1

Enjoy and hope this is helpful,
cgriffith

#116 2009-11-14 17:09:43

imraro

I downgraded my xorg-server to 1.6.3 and install all PKGBUILDs chris.griffith's. This is xorg.log:

X.Org X Server 1.6.3.901 (1.6.4 RC 1)
Release Date: 2009-8-25
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.30-ARCH i686 
Current Operating System: Linux netb 2.6.31-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Nov 10 19:48:17 CET 2009 i686
Build Date: 04 September 2009  03:37:03PM

Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
    to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
    (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
    (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sat Nov 14 22:49:21 2009
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(EE) module ABI major version (6) doesn't match the server's version (5)
(EE) Failed to load module "psb" (module requirement mismatch, 0)
(EE) No drivers available.

But now I can control brightness levels smile Thanks.

Last edited by imraro (2009-11-15 04:37:55)

#117 2009-11-14 18:42:07

danboid

Great to see Chris' PKGBUILDs have arrived but he does say he's been unable to get them to work with X 1.7.x which is what you get if you do a 'pacman -S xorg' right now. Anyone know of an Arch repo with X 1.6 packages or a way to get X 1.6.x without having to compile from scratch? Its been years since I had to compile X but it was one of the biggest, longest things you could compile- I remember waiting hours for it in the era of Athlon 2000's.

Before seeing that Chris' PKBUILDs had arrived I had an unsuccessful attempt at getting fbdev X working. Contrary to what what has been posted before the package is called 'xf86-video-fbdev' not 'xorg-video-fbdev' but it didn't work for me anyway as I seem to be missing a /dev/fb0 device and 'cat /proc/fb' returns nothing. On the plus side I have been successful in getting the VESA X driver to run at 1024x576 by using 915resolution-static although I can't see me wanting to use the VESA driver as its painfully slow.

#118 2009-11-15 04:41:44

imraro

danboid wrote:

Anyone know of an Arch repo with X 1.6 packages or a way to get X 1.6.x without having to compile from scratch?

I used this repo. Wiki

#119 2009-11-15 05:05:27

skottish
Forum Fellow

I'd recommend to everyone to get uvesafb working until the official driver comes out:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n … &px=NzY2Mg

Holy F****** S***! There's an official driver in the pipeline!

#120 2009-11-15 09:30:33

sjakub

Hi. I'm trying to get uvesafb working on 1101HA, and it doesn't work sad
I followed wiki article, and all I am gettign is uvesafb error:
uvesafb: Intel Corporation, Intel(r)Poulsbo Graphics Controller, Hardware Version 0.0, OEM: Intel(r)Poulsbo Graphics Chip Accelerated VGA BIOS, VBE v3.0
uvesafb: VBIOS/hardware supports DDC2 transfers
uvesafb: monitor limits: vf = 60 Hz, hf = 48 kHz, clk = 72 MHz
uvesafb: scrolling: redraw
uvesafb: cannot reserve video memory at 0x3f800000
uvesafb: probe of uvesafb.0 failed with error -5

I am using 2.6.31 kernel.
"fbset -i" says "open /dev/fb0: No such file or directory" so there is no FB at all.
I tried with and without 915resolution and it doesn't help.

UPDATE:
Downgradign to 2.6.30 solved the issue.
Apparently uvesafb included in 2.6.31 doesn't work with this chipset sad

Last edited by sjakub (2009-11-15 09:38:10)

#121 2009-11-15 16:26:30

skottish
Forum Fellow

uvesafb works fine with 2.6.31. Are you using the 915resolution-static package? The other one (without the -static) doesn't work.

To everyone, you may want to upgrade 915resolution-static today. I made some changes to the PKGBUILD that will help keep the configuration persistent between kernel upgrades. That's assuming that you are upgrading the package regularly. That part is unnecessary though; There hasn't been any changes at all to the functionality for Poulsbo chips. Unless there's bugs found in the patch, it's also the last upgrade that I'll do. Within a few days I'll orphan the package.

#122 2009-11-15 17:22:35

danboid

imraro:

Thanks for the links but I'm new to Arch/pacman and I cannot for the life of me work out how I'm meant to install any version of xorg from the schlunix repo that isn't the very latest.

I have uncommented the schlunix repo in my mirrorlist, then I 'pacman -Syy' to update the sync db but then if I 'pacman -Ss xorg' it only lists the latest versions but I know through having browsed the packages available on schlunix that there are multiple Xorg 1.6.x versions there. I have read the wiki page you linked to, the pacman man page and asked on #archlinux but the answer is always the same 'Arch Linux does not support installing old versions' or variations on that response.

I could probably download all the xorg packages and then manually install them with 'pacman -U' but I'd have to figure out the right order to install all 10 or so so it would prob be easier to compile from scratch rather than do that- there must be an easier way. Please provide step-by-step instructions that an Arch newb like myself can follow.

I know skottish is advocating using uvesafb until the proper driver is released but I'd much rather get this driver working. As I say I'm not really bothered about the weedy 3D accel but I do like and use the HDMI output functionality which works for me under Ubuntu and I very much doubt would work using uvesafb.

#123 2009-11-16 07:27:43

imraro

danboid wrote:

Please provide step-by-step instructions that an Arch newb like myself can follow.

I downloaded only xorg-server-1.6.3.901-1 and xf86-input-evdev-2.2.5-1 packages and then:

#pacman -R xf86-input-evdev
#pacman -Rd xorg-server
#pacman -U /path/to/downloaded/xorg-server.pkg.tar.gz
#pacman -U /path/to/downloaded/xf86-input-evdev.pkg.tar.gz

May be I'm wrong, because I getting errors with xorg.

#124 2009-11-16 11:39:58

danboid

imraro:

Sounds like you're probably using a hybrid, mix-n-match xorg. I'm guesing your other xorg components are up-to-date with the Arch repos and you've only downgraded the xorg-server and input modules which I can't imagine the psb PKGBUILDs would like, nor anything else for that matter.

So Chris G - whats the easiest way to cleanly install an older xorg? Obviously you do a 'pacman -R xorg' to remove any existing X but then what?

#125 2009-11-16 14:17:03

sjakub

@skottish: Yes, I do have 915resolution-static.
But I have also tried using one of the normal resolutions, without 915resolution hack at all.
And still no luck - error while loading uvesafb module, and no /dev/fb0 device.

EDIT:
And a little bit offtopic: Does anybody has Asus Eee 1101HA? I can't get internal microphone to work properly sad

Last edited by sjakub (2009-11-16 15:20:04)

Board footer