You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-16 19:33:00

JoeKer1086

Very new to Arch - getting ready to install for the first time.

I  am going to be doing my first install of arch and just wanted a little more info from anyone that could guide me a little. I want to run KDE and I have been reading alot on arch but i didnt see anything that was a walk through of the initial setup....Im sure its out there somewhere but could someone point me in the right direction

I understand it completely, grappled hopelessly with comprehension, balanced on the edge of insanity for an eternity.....a moment.

#2 2009-11-16 19:37:31

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Very new to Arch - getting ready to install for the first time.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#3 2009-11-16 19:38:02

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#4 2009-11-16 22:10:46

davidlondonuk

I had been using kubuntu for years, but they had some problems when kde went to 4.1, still don't know what 4.3 is like. I am tempted to install kdemod (4 series) from the chakra project-it's an optimized version of kde for arch linux.

My advice is have a good read of a beginners install guide and if you can, do the automatic install. That will use 3 partitions (so you need to back up all your working files, documents to dvd):

/               the root partition where arch or any other linux distro can be installed
/boot         a small partition for the kernel and grub files etc
/home       the home partition for user data

It's a good partition scheme as it means if you don't get on with arch, you could just install another distro in / and all your data is separate.  My / partition is 7.5Gb and it's only 50% used, for /boot 32Mb is easily enough, the rest you can use for /home.

After you install you will not have a desktop system just the console- arch only installs a base system.  You need to know what mouse, sound card & video card you have etc as you will need to install xorg from the command line using pacman.   

I really like arch, once you get used to it and get over the initial install, it's a really easy and flexible system to use.

Board footer