You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-16 05:22:30

slackcub

[Solved] JPEG frames to MPEG

I have a whole bunch of still frames in jpeg format that I'm trying to create an MPEG/AVI/whatever out of.  I thought that mpg123 could do it, and I know there was an option in GIMP to help out with that at one point, but I can't find it now.  Is there something I'm missing or an easier way to do it? Thanks for the help!

David
slackcub@gmail.com

Last edited by slackcub (2009-11-17 05:46:55)

#2 2009-11-16 06:32:36

Ranguvar

Re: [Solved] JPEG frames to MPEG

I don't know the GNU/Linux way of doing it, but I would use Wine/avs2yuv in order to use AviSynth scripting to serve the JPEGs as a video, and then encode that.

Probably a little more power than what you need.

#3 2009-11-16 06:52:57

toxygen

http://www.munz.li/?p=48

I used this a while ago to do a time lapse from pictures, i believe the command i used was based on mplayer/mencoder but you can do it with imagemagick convert too (as seen on that page):

mencoder -nosound mf://*.jpg -mf w=800:h=371:type=jpg:fps=15 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=2160000:mbd=2:keyint=132:v4mv:vqmin=3:lumi_mask=0.07:dark_mask=0.2:mpeg_quant:scplx_mask=0.1:tcplx_mask=0.1:naq -o time_lapse-test.avi

man mplayer should also give you some examples

"I know what you're thinking, 'cause right now I'm thinking the same thing. Actually, I've been thinking it ever since I got here:
Why oh why didn't I take the BLUE pill?"

#4 2009-11-16 15:54:56

lilsirecho
Veteran

Perhaps you might like to do some fun "stretching" of jpeg files in KDENLIVE.  EDIT: Firstly, click and drag the jpeg file(s) to the PROJECT TREE window, then drag to the TIMELINE............  Kdenlive with OPEN only acts on kdenlive files.

I find it easy to stretch them and combine them using that program.

You place the file into the time line and use the mouse to stretch the file image in the timeline from the right hand edge.

Other jpegs can be appended in the same timeline(or in the next timeline.

At present I do not know the time limit for such entries.

Next, the RENDER button is selected.  A menu of possible output modes is presented and options for output resolution.  The title of the video produced is provided in the OUTPUT FILE NAME and appears for a few seconds when the video is playedback, say, in VLC.

You may enjoy other features of KDENLIVE as well.

Good luck...............

Last edited by lilsirecho (2009-11-16 19:30:30)

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#5 2009-11-16 17:06:36

rsambuca

I just used a program called imagination to make a movie slideshow from jpegs.  Imagination is nice because it has a bunch of different transition effects, and also allows you to do the 'Ken Burns Effect' of panning and scanning the images if you like.  You just add your slides, pick your transitions, add the pans and scans, text, music, etc...  Worked very well for me.

It is in the aur.

http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=24392

#6 2009-11-16 17:49:52

Ranguvar

All of the above can be done in AviSynth big_smile  Well, not *quite* so much the transitions (it's a scripting language, better for post-processing and frameserving), but still awesome.
AviSynth Usage: http://forum.doom9.org/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=33
AviSynth Development: http://forum.doom9.org/forumdisplay.php?f=69

/shameless plug

#7 2009-11-17 05:33:04

slackcub

Thanks everyone!  toxygen, that was exactly what I was looking for.  Now to find a better way to capture images, but that's a whole different topic for me to solve on my own.

David
slackcub@gmail.com

Board footer