You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-02 18:16:18

rusma

Problems starting Xorg/GNOME (and wireless driver)

HI!

I'm switching from ubuntu to arch on my laptop (Dell Latitude E5400), 'cause I like the rolling release theory. Already I've bumped into some problems (duh!):

1. Xorg/GNOME wont start properly. I've installed all of 'xorg-input-drivers' and 'xorg-video-drivers'. I'm a noob on this, so I don't know what to do next.

The same procedure worked fine on a pc I built by myself last summer with a really low-end nvidia graphics card.

lspci | grep "VGA" says I have a:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)

2. I don't know what driver to install for my wireless card, and other needed packages for wireless networking. Have already installed 'wirelss_tools'.

lspci | grep -i net says I have a:

09:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5756ME Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express
0c:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4322 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller (rev 01)

Arch rocks!

Edit: updated title

Last edited by rusma (2009-11-17 20:28:13)

#2 2009-11-02 22:56:19

jac
Website

Re: Problems starting Xorg/GNOME (and wireless driver)

What is wrong with starting Xorg? Does it just crash, or black screen, or ...? If you haven't already, I would read the Beginners' Guide: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners_Guide It walks you through installing graphics drivers and all of that fun stuff that you need to get Xorg, even GNOME, running properly.

For wireless, look here and tell us if you have problems with anything: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wireless_Setup It should get you through that step.

Again, let us know if you have any more problems, but you might want to check the wiki first, odds are, there's a page dedicated to helping you work it out smile

#3 2009-11-03 08:00:51

rusma

Hi!

The beginners guide haven't helped me out on this. Is this thread better off if I split it in two?

Xorg first:

When I run startx with 'exec gnome-session' in ~/.xinitrc my screen "blinkes" a few times, then stays black, and then I'm not able to switch gettys (or whatever) with i.e. ctrl+alt+F2 so I can kill xorg. Instead I have to manually shut off the computer (/reset it) using the powerbutton, which I have heard is'nt too healthy for it. I think Xorg crashes and then stays black.

Maybe this problem is present because of conflicting graphics drivers? - I've installed all istead of just the ones I need.

Is it better to have or not have a xorg.conf file?

Wireless:

I have looked, but I think my wireless does not exist yet.. or It exists under another name; cause on windows It is named:

Dell Wireless 1510 Wireless-N WLAN Mini-Card

HELP!! smile

Last edited by rusma (2009-11-03 08:02:26)

#4 2009-11-03 13:12:22

jac
Website

Hi to yourself! I would say that in the future make more than one topic for more than one problem, but I think this is fine for now.

Did you look over the process to see if you missed anything? It sounds like you don't have HAL running to get input. Did you try to use startx while only loading an xterm, for instance? If that works properly, it's a gnome problem.

If you installed more than one driver, it can only use one at once so that could be a problem if your xorg is configured improperly. I would try it without an xorg.conf, it seems the general consensus is that if it works without one, don't bother making one. Plus, it'll pick the driver itself that way.

Well, I don't know much about wireless, so this is just guessing. I did a C-f on that wiki page for "broadcom" Which brought me to a section on a driver that looks like it doesn't support your card. I scrolled down to see another section for newer cards. Following that link got me to http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Broadcom_BCM4312 Reading that looks like your card is the first listed under what it works with smile So, try that wiki page and see if you can get the driver properly installed and running. It tells you to get the package from AUR, which I would suggest. Read the wiki page on AUR to get a primer for that. It'll most likely want to download something, can you plug your computer in wired to install things?

#5 2009-11-03 15:02:06

rusma

jac wrote:

Hi to yourself! I would say that in the future make more than one topic for more than one problem, but I think this is fine for now.

Did you look over the process to see if you missed anything? It sounds like you don't have HAL running to get input. Did you try to use startx while only loading an xterm, for instance? If that works properly, it's a gnome problem.

If you installed more than one driver, it can only use one at once so that could be a problem if your xorg is configured improperly. I would try it without an xorg.conf, it seems the general consensus is that if it works without one, don't bother making one. Plus, it'll pick the driver itself that way.

I have HAL running starting from /etc/rc.conf. I deleted my ~/.xinitrc, then ran startx - and i can move the mouse in xorg (purple/green colours - high badness), but then stops working. Then I turn off the computer using the powerbutton, 'cause magic SysRQ key does not work.

jac wrote:

Well, I don't know much about wireless, so this is just guessing. I did a C-f on that wiki page for "broadcom" Which brought me to a section on a driver that looks like it doesn't support your card. I scrolled down to see another section for newer cards. Following that link got me to http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Broadcom_BCM4312 Reading that looks like your card is the first listed under what it works with smile So, try that wiki page and see if you can get the driver properly installed and running. It tells you to get the package from AUR, which I would suggest. Read the wiki page on AUR to get a primer for that. It'll most likely want to download something, can you plug your computer in wired to install things?

Thanks, I'll try to install that first, before saying anymore.

#6 2009-11-03 22:05:44

rusma

Xorg - New info: I'm able to move the pointer using the synaptic or a mouse, but just inside the box if the two in the blue/green it is starting in. Other than that results in everything freezing. I am not able to write anything when I can move the mouse. Really frustrating..

Wireless network: Now I have read all there is, and set up netcfg successfully. Yay. Is there any manpage or docs on how to configure the profiles of netcfg in /etc/network.d/?

#7 2009-11-04 00:31:05

hokasch

Look at /etc/network.d/examples/ and the wiki for configuring netcfg profiles. You may not want to delete .xinitrx, but start an xterm session with it.

#8 2009-11-04 20:37:26

rusma

hokasch wrote:

Look at /etc/network.d/examples/ and the wiki for configuring netcfg profiles.

Thanks, I know that. I was simply requesting something like a list of possible input variables in i.e. a profile for wpa2-psk with aes encryption.

hokasch wrote:

You may not want to delete .xinitrx, but start an xterm session with it.

X worked better when told it have to start xterm. When the white field/square appears in upper left corner, I can move the pointer for as long as I want, But when I start writing something into the xterm, everything freezes again. yikes

#9 2009-11-05 14:17:09

rusma

New info:

Someone I know tried to help me with running a command that did this in one line in this order:

1. start initx
2. sleep for 10 seconds
3. kill Xorg

First attempt turned out successfully, second attempt did not: everything froze again because of me moving the mouse and writing and erasing gobbly-goo into xterm.

Do you folks think this is because the kernel panics in some way, and then decides it is unable to reboot by itself?

#10 2009-11-17 16:36:47

rusma

The command was (incase I forget):

$ xinit & sleep 10 ; killall X

But... no difference.

I have provided the name of the grapics card before. It's...

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)

I think it is not supported by the standard xf86-video-intel driver; please confirm. I have tried the Simple method here: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Intel_Graphics for adding Kernel Mode Settings.

I don't think SysRQ works for me either when this happens (http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Lis … _Shortcuts).

Please, help me!

(I'm considering making a seperate thread)

#11 2009-11-18 21:54:51

rusma

Reinstalled arch... and then only installed the packages I knew I needed (ie. not gnome and all possible video drivers).

Now another problem has appeared:

After starting x successfully, I can start Firefox and stuff - but I am unable to change tty's (Ctrl+Alt+F(1-6), without X "dropping master".

When I go to F6, suddenly my X-session has appeared there. Really weird.

What now?

Are anybody else but me reading this?

Last edited by rusma (2009-11-18 21:55:45)

Board footer