You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-28 17:58:01

Kernal Panic

HDMI horror

I recently set up my PC to use an old HDTV via a DVI to HDMI cable however, and enfuriatingly so, the top and bottom of my display is chopped off. Not only am I struggling to fix this issue but it also makes doing simple tasks involved in researching the problem frankly unbearable. Google has shown that this is quite a common problem so I wondered if anyone has come up with a solution rather than me trawling through the net getting headaches from looking at this screen. </rant>Thanks for your time, and I'm sure someone will be able and willing to help as you have done so many times before.

#2 2009-06-28 18:19:36

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Re: HDMI horror

What resolution are you attempting to display on the HDTV and how are you configuring it (/etc/X11/xorg.conf or ...?)  Also, what is the video card (ATI, nvidia, etc.)?

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#3 2009-06-28 18:32:31

Kernal Panic

graysky wrote:

What resolution are you attempting to display on the HDTV and how are you configuring it (/etc/X11/xorg.conf or ...?)  Also, what is the video card (ATI, nvidia, etc.)?

I have /etc/X11/xorg.conf configured as per nvidia-xconfig with "AllowEmptyInput" set to off because otherwise I can't use the keyboard, but apart from that I have made no major changes to the xorg.conf file. However instead I am trying to change the resolution with the nvidia-settings application that runs from within X however it seems that with all resolutions it is chopped off, and its in terminal as well as in X, so if possible I would like to get things working in both (although X is a priority)

#4 2009-07-28 09:08:44

quantumphaze

The problem is with the TV itself. It's called overscan.

The TV does this because not all input sources are edge to edge with the display. Sometimes an HDTV signal has a thin black border on some edges sometimes of different sizes too. The TV compensates by overscanning by around 3%. This causes problems with thins like computers and game consoles which create a sane input source at actual 1080p.

To fix it, try looking through the menu options and press random buttons. For my Samsung TV it was the "p. size" button that changes the aspect ratio and stretches the picture vertically.

▁▂▃▄▅▆▇█▉▊▋▌▍▎▏▏▎▍▌▋▊▉█▇▆▅▄▃▂▁

#5 2009-11-20 05:41:29

qqa

Just jumping in to say thanks to quantumphaze...
This worked for, i have messed with xorg, xrandr and othjere stuff the last few hours... not once did it cross my mind that i could be the tv... worked like a charm.

Thanks smile

#6 2009-11-20 06:26:48

xd-0
Website

quantumphaze wrote:

For my Samsung TV it was the "p. size" button that changes the aspect ratio and stretches the picture vertically.

I also have a bad overscan problem with my Samsung. As you mentioned you used p.scan, but what setting did solve your problem?
The reason I'm asking is that I only have 4:3 16:9 and zoom, and none of them fixes the problem. So it would be good to know what the setting is called smile

Board footer