You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-18 16:38:15

2_Thumbs_Up

Is there a way to stream the sound from youtube videos in mpd?

Basically whenever I have people over we have some music playing in the background. But inevitably people always
end up closing sonata and browsing youtube instead to find the music they like that i don't have. Considering how
awesome mpd is in general I wonder if there is a way to get the sound from these files into mpd. That way I
can have the best of two worlds and make playlists with my own music and theirs without any hassle.

Anyone have any ideas regarding this?

#2 2009-11-18 17:03:41

b9anders

Re: Is there a way to stream the sound from youtube videos in mpd?

If you want to control the music, lock the screen or some such.

If not, just let them use bloody youtube. Nobody cares how good Sonata is at a party or social gathering, they just want to play the music they like.

#3 2009-11-20 19:33:41

2_Thumbs_Up

Re: Is there a way to stream the sound from youtube videos in mpd?

I want to solve the problem, not avoid it. I want this for myself as well. All my music goes throud either mpd or youtube and
I want a centralized solution.

My question was regarding the easiest way to go about this. I could easily use youtube-dl and ffmpeg to write a script that
downloads and queeze the song into the current playlist. The issue i have with this method is that it takes some time for the
song to download and convert. It would be a lot better to actually stream the audio directly and get mpd to support this stream.
But I don't know of a way to get this working, hence the question.

Last edited by 2_Thumbs_Up (2009-11-20 19:34:17)

Board footer