You are not logged in.

#26 2005-01-19 18:24:23

dp
Website

Re: ArchLinux/PPC

if xorg works, you should consider dropping xfree86 ... it is outdated

yea, the minimac is very attractive ... that's my main thing to consider: spending 200-300CHF for an old g3 or waiting a little and spending 660CHF for a minimac?

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#27 2005-01-19 18:35:24

sarah31
Website

it is strange that Macs are about the same price in Europe as we pay here in Canada even though your currencies are often doing better than ours.  The exchange is about the only difference here. In fact I find that in many cases prices for PCs and parts has been jacked up more than just exchange rates would account for.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#28 2005-01-21 01:36:28

kth5
Website

alright, i made my decision to make the ppc abs public using CVS on a friend's server in CA. everyone who's interested can get the sources from here:

cvs -z9 -d:pserver:anoncvs@sull.homelinux.net:/var/home/cvs/repository co abs-ppc

everything in base, lib, editors should work fine. most stuff in x11 and lib as well.

here's a little step by step guide to get started (like i did):

1) install Debian/Sarge
4) go and make glibc and then gcc of the same version as in the abs tree
3) get the lastest Pacman sources (2.5.9), compile and install it (*)
4) remove "-march=i686" from /etc/makepkg.conf
5) get the CVS an give makeworld a go
6) try to fix what doesn't work out of the box
7) from here it shoud be obvious what's to do for the experienced *nixers

(*) Debian/sarge's GCC may break the md5 checking

feel free to contact me if you really want to take part in this project.

have fun! smile

//EDIT: "fixed" stepbystep guide to comply with reality big_smile

I recognize that while theory and practice are, in theory, the same, they are, in practice, different. -Mark Mitchell

#29 2005-01-21 15:00:33

dp
Website

great, that your work continues with success! when i run over a mac in the future, i know that there is already some work made on that subject, great!

kth5 wrote:

2) get the lastes Pacman sources (2.5.9) and install it

you mean download the sources, compile, install, right?

kth5 wrote:

3) remove "-march=i686" from /etc/makepkg.conf

is there no special flag that would make sense for PPC?

question-on-the-way: you are now using debian with pacman, right? you don't yet have an installation thingy for powerarch?

#30 2005-01-21 15:30:16

kth5
Website

dp wrote:

you mean download the sources, compile, install, right?

yup, that's exactly what i meant but guess didn't type, heh.
i will look into writing a guide asap but i think it's not that important when there will be an installer which i am working on atm.

dp wrote:

is there no special flag that would make sense for PPC?

well there is just like for all other systems out there but those mostly only apply to optimization. i used "-mcpu=750" to optimize it for G3 Gossamer CPUs but i'm not sure if it would run on any later PPC as well so i would leave it out and simply remove i686 as it isn't supported with a ppc compiler anyway.

dp wrote:

question-on-the-way: you are now using debian with pacman, right? you don't yet have an installation thingy for powerarch?

yes, i have installed debian first. it has a installer which works on my machine. actually i only used it to get Pacman 2.5.9 and GCC 3.4.3 running to use makepkg. then i installed the Arch packages manually using "-U" onto a seperate partition i chrooted into first. when everythign was working and i could finally compile things from the chrooted enviroment i modified my bootloader (i use quik / for oldworl machines) to boot that partition instead of debian and went on.

as i said, i am working on a installer for at least oldworld macs in the few spare minutes i have a day. unfortunately newworld macs mostly do not come with a floppy drive anymore, oldworld macs can't boot cds and on top of that you'll have to use another bootloader (yaboot or Bootx from within macosx/darwin). since i only have oldworld ppcs here, i couldn't possibly work on a newworld installer that boots from cd and stuff.
in short: i'll have to wait until i get my hands on a new world machine first and that will probably be a mac mini.

I recognize that while theory and practice are, in theory, the same, they are, in practice, different. -Mark Mitchell

#31 2005-01-21 17:59:23

dp
Website

kth5, thanx for the replies ... i'll watch your work

maybe this can be helpfull:
http://mailman.linuxtag.org/pipermail/d … 03428.html
http://www.ppcnux.de/

#32 2005-01-21 18:32:34

kth5
Website

dp wrote:

kth5, thanx for the replies ... i'll watch your work

maybe this can be helpfull:
http://mailman.linuxtag.org/pipermail/d … 03428.html
http://www.ppcnux.de/

thx for the hints, i came across the second link to that e.V. in the past but somehow lost my bookmark on it, heh. well, i was able to dig out some OpenFirmware docs which will hopefully be helpful to me as i was about to write some extensions to "boot" a non-OF compatible VGA card etc. which currently is not possible and even normal PCI 2.1 compatible cards mostly wouldn't work at all.

I'm still compiling packages here and frequently update the the ABS cvs. i guess i dun have to post new packages here anymore. wink
anyone wants to host binary packages? the oldworld floppy-installer will be ready for (unstable) testing by the end of next week i think.

#33 2005-01-21 19:30:36

dp
Website

kth5 wrote:

I'm still compiling packages here and frequently update the the ABS cvs. i guess i dun have to post new packages here anymore. wink

you can include a list in the cvs-tree in the top directory ... call it LIST_OF_ALL_PKGS and this way, people who checkout will have the list of pkgs

nur eine idee ... ;-)

#34 2005-01-21 19:46:18

kth5
Website

dp wrote:

you can include a list in the cvs-tree in the top directory ... call it LIST_OF_ALL_PKGS and this way, people who checkout will have the list of pkgs

nur eine idee ... ;-)

nice one, yeah. guess i'll do that and write down some hints on frequently occuring obstacles too. wink

ich freu mich auf meinen Mac Mini. smile

#35 2005-01-21 21:36:38

dp
Website

kth5 wrote:

ich freu mich auf meinen Mac Mini. smile

you lucky one ;-)

#36 2005-01-22 14:59:39

thegnu
Website

dp wrote:

... but ebay is too risky

I definitely think that doing something that makes you uncomfortable is a bad idea, but on ebay they have reseller ratings so you can read what other people say about the reseller.  If someone has thousands of people giving positive feedback, it means they really care about their rating.

I've never had any trouble whatsoever on ebay, but do be wary.

fffft!

#37 2005-01-23 16:26:45

GT

I'm working on getting a working base system right now on my 900MHz G3. smile
Though, I was wondering why packages like grub and bin86 are included, as they don't really work for this platform.

I also noticed there's no yaboot package. If you haven't already made it, I'd be interested in making a package for it once I get a base system running. smile

Edit - I seem to be having problems getting glibc, gcc, and iputils built. If you would be nice enough to upload these packages to my FTP or email them to me, (I'll send a PM if are willing) I could get a working system, and help out. smile

#38 2005-01-23 22:08:53

kth5
Website

GT wrote:

I'm working on getting a working base system right now on my 900MHz G3. smile

great! smile

GT wrote:

Though, I was wondering why packages like grub and bin86 are included, as they don't really work for this platform.

yeah, i know. they do not work on PPCs, they're scheduled to be removed soon.

GT wrote:

I also noticed there's no yaboot package. If you haven't already made it, I'd be interested in making a package for it once I get a base system running. smile

i'm working on a quik package later on this evening and test it. what goes for yaboot, i could make as well make one but don't have any chance to test it. would be nice if you could do that then. wink

GT wrote:

Edit - I seem to be having problems getting glibc, gcc, and iputils built. If you would be nice enough to upload these packages to my FTP or email them to me, (I'll send a PM if are willing) I could get a working system, and help out. smile

no problem, just tell me where to or come on IRC and talk to me.

#39 2005-01-28 00:43:41

kth5
Website

a little status report:

i'm done with current, including a kernel pkgbuild for a 2.6 pmac kernel (oldworld g3s). atm i'm putting the final touches on the installer and will add that to current. oh yeah, the repo is "syncable" already. badly needs a fast mirror tho.  wink

#40 2005-01-30 23:29:01

kth5
Website

and finally a working viewcvs:
http://sull.homelinux.net/viewcvs/abs-ppc/

hint: README ;p

#41 2005-02-03 12:22:33

kth5
Website

great news this time!

Xentac was so kind to provide a much faster mirror than i can atm for binary packages. it can be reviewed/synced from here:

ftp://xentac.net/ppc/

and a little screenshot... yeah yeah, it's necessary! big_smile

archlinuxppc-icewm-xmms-gimp.jpg

Running apps:
X.org 6.8.1
icewm 1.2.19
xmms 1.2.10
gimp 2.2.1

rest should be obvious ;P

#42 2005-02-08 00:26:13

GT

Well, I just about got my install working.
Just a little oddity in the kernel26-pmac config. Why aren't ReiserFS and EXT3 enabled? Is their a reason (I don't see one) or just a little mistake?

#43 2005-02-08 07:53:28

kth5
Website

GT wrote:

Well, I just about got my install working.
Just a little oddity in the kernel26-pmac config. Why aren't ReiserFS and EXT3 enabled? Is their a reason (I don't see one) or just a little mistake?

they are enabled as modules but not compiled in for a reason. as you can see the kernel has "pmac" attached which is the description of oldworld g3s and even older machines in the kernel config. (aka PreP) those machine are known to only work with quick or miboot (floppy). problem here is that no 2.6 kernel would fit onto a floppy so you have to boot using quick. now i'm getting at why reiserfs and stuff isn't enabled: so you don't use them on your boot partition! quick doesn't support anything else than ext2. ;p

btw, i disabled lots of other stuff as well since i don't know if all drivers even would work if the hardware was mac comliant. pretty much the same as i would enable agpart and ATI DRI support on a dreamcast. big_smile

#44 2005-02-08 12:53:40

GT

Then perhaps we should have another kernel for NewWorld machines?
Alot of the stuff I need to boot my iBook is disabled in the pmac kernel, so I'm going to have to make one anyways. smile

#45 2005-02-08 13:36:10

kth5
Website

GT wrote:

Then perhaps we should have another kernel for NewWorld machines?
Alot of the stuff I need to boot my iBook is disabled in the pmac kernel, so I'm going to have to make one anyways. smile

exactly, that was my inention. unfortunately i can't test too many different hardware combos so if you know which drivers work let me know. wink

btw:

archlinuxppc-kde-kcontrol-konqueror.jpg

#46 2005-02-08 13:38:55

xerxes2
Website

WOW!
great work kth5,
too bad you can't build your own ppc box, otherwise I would have tried it,

arch + gentoo + initng + python = enlisy

#47 2005-02-08 15:50:27

kth5
Website

now i need someone with a mac running osx or similar to create a bootdisk. i just realized that i can't even do that with my oldworld mac because i can't run any macos(x) (don't have it). so if anyone would like to volunteer? wink

i have the kernel etc. done already, just need someone to get BootX working on his/her box.

now compiling: gnome...  :!:

#48 2005-02-08 16:57:01

sarah31
Website

As long as doing this won't mess with my computer I can do it (i think).

Email me. I don't pay attention to irc really anymore.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#49 2005-02-08 19:00:53

GT

EDIT: I see you've already got the xfce4 PKGBUILD's in CVS, nice!  big_smile
There's some files missing for mozilla-firefox in the abs-ppc CVS

launcher.patch
mozilla-1.7.3-ft2.patch
mozilla-firefox.desktop
mozilla-firefox.png

Grabbing them from my x86 fixed it.

If you still need the boot disks in a few hours, I can install MOL to access my OSX MOL install from when I had gentoo.

#50 2005-02-09 03:58:23

GT

Now that I've got a working install, I uploaded some packages that I find very useful for PPC based laptops.

pbbuttonsd
powerprefs
powernowd

I also uploaded my NewWorld kernel, kernel26-nworld. I welcome any NewWorld users to test it and tell me what else should be enabled/disabled.

Once I get xfce4 compiled and running, I'll make a package for gtkpbbuttons, mol, and some other ppc/mac goodies.

Link: http://www.yupadog.com/ppc

Board footer