You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-20 19:56:20

scooby

My problems with netcfg

I have arch running on a samsung nc10 netbook, usually using xfce.

The last few days I have been trying out openbox as a standalone window manager/ de replacement in a quest to get the computer running even quicker.

For networking ,first of all I tried using netcfg to set up my wireless and ethernet connections. Managed to do this after a good deal of searching in the forums and wiki - I am using static ip here at home. Found out you need IFOPTS= ... in your wireless profile if using static ip (but this isn't mentioned in the wiki or the man, or in the example profiles that are provided.) I then wanted the wireless to be disconnected if ethernet was present, did a bit more reading and discovered netcfg is not designed to do this. I installed ifplugd.  Didn't have much success and gave up last night after several hours of fiddling. I hadn't even started on trying to set up wpa encryption. Felt quite frustrated

This evening I installed wicd, and within a minute I had everything set up the way I wanted without having to search forums and wikis. It scans for wireless networks, connects automatically (after initial configuration), easy to set up wireless encryption, disconnects the wireless when ethernet is available, and has an icon it the tray.

Lots of people on the forums seem to be happily using netcfg, and heartily recommend it. Is it worth me persevering with netcfg? Is netcfg "better"? Why would you use it instead of some other network manager? Wicd just seems to be so much easier and quicker to set up.

Re-reading this, it sounds like a rant about netcfg. It's not meant to be, it's just my observation. Quite likely I am being incompetent.

#2 2009-11-20 20:17:27

kazuo
Website

Re: My problems with netcfg

I use netcfg because I can use it on cli (ok, I think wicd have a ncurses interface too, not sure) for it is fast. I like to use vim to edit my configs so for me netcfg is better, more integrate with my environment (I spend 80% of my time in a shell).

But really if wicd works, use it! Netcfg is not better or worse the wicd, the two do the work in different ways.

#3 2009-11-20 20:22:43

reed9

Is netcfg "better"?

It's your system.  I say do what works for you.  I use netcfg on my main laptop, which usually just connects to my home wireless, wicd with my netbook, which travels more, and wicd with my crap laptop that acts as a music server.

Last edited by reed9 (2009-11-20 20:23:41)

#4 2009-11-20 20:23:30

reed9

(ok, I think wicd have a ncurses interface too, not sure)

It does.

Board footer