You are not logged in.

#1 2005-02-07 15:13:10

arooaroo
Website

ABS introduction moved to a separate document

Hi all,

I wondered if anyone shares my view that the ABS section of the ArchLinux Installation Guide is misplaced. I know the guide covers installation and first steps, but I don't see how ABS fits here. The first thing new AL users do is not creating or amending packages.

Therefore, i propose taking out the ABS section from the Installation Guide and moving it to its own document. This will make the installation docs a little more concise and more focused on the task at hand, i.e., getting AL on your system.

#2 2005-02-07 23:34:19

miqorz

Re: ABS introduction moved to a separate document

One of the first things I wanted to know upon installing Arch was how to rebuild the XMMS package to avoid esd.

So I carefully say..

*REQUEST DENIED*

http://wiki2.archlinux.org/

Read it. Love it. Live it. Or die.

#3 2005-02-08 03:49:38

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

I think ABS could be moved in its own document.  The installation guide could just mention it, give a short introduction  and refer the user to the ABS guide.

#4 2005-02-08 04:24:21

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Because it is a bit conceivable that you would have to build a package to get your network running, I think ABS section should probably stay in the guide. The idea is basically to have everything in one page that might be needed to get the network up and a browser installed. Once that's done, the wiki, google, and forum search can take care of any problems.

On the other hand, I don't know *how* conceivable it is that you would have to build a package to get network. Probably only if you had very very strange hardware or oddball wireless or some such. If there is no need to build a package to get network, ABS stuff could be relocated to the wiki.

Dusty

#5 2005-02-08 09:22:39

arooaroo
Website

Of course, there will be people who want to alter/create packages for their own needs - that's cool. Ok, let me put this another way: imagine you are new to ABS, and you read the ABS section in the Installation Guide, do you think the reader will know how to create a package?

To answer my own question - IMHO - no, there is insufficent material there. Under the section "How To Build Packages":

The build process is thoroughly explained in the makepkg manpage. See it for instructions on building your own packages. If that's not helping you, keep your eyes peeled for tutorials in the Wiki, or ask for help in the forums or IRC.

That to me, with no disrespect to the documention maintainers, is the crux of the section on ABS, yet it is not covered. It therefore makes the material rather redundant

My proposal is to replace the current section with a very brief paragraph or two summing up ABS, and then link to appropriate documentation else where, e.g., the wiki, which has more comprehenisive coverage of ABS.

It then keeps the Installation Guide focussed on installing, whilst mentioning ABS, which will keep awareness of this powerful feature for new users, etc.

#6 2005-02-08 16:20:50

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

hmmm. I think you're right. Good points.

#7 2005-02-08 16:30:45

arooaroo
Website

:shock:

Dang! Someone agrees with something I say. Aw, gee. You guys, you're making me blush  wink

Board footer