You are not logged in.

#1 2005-02-08 09:04:46

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Running quake 1 and 2 under wine

i have had loads of success running quake2 under wine but i have had some problems with quake1.

When i try to run glquake,exe or winquake.exe i get an error

Winsock IPX bind failed

and it quits out.

if i try to run quake.exe it just gives and error messsage and asks me if i want to debig then quits out.

if i run glqwcl.exe it runs perfectly!

I dunno if i running them right either.  at the mo i am cding to the quake dirs and running wine quake2 or whatever.  i think i am supposed to be able to run them from a VC for best results but when i do it says my $DISPLAY variable may not be set.

echo $DISPLAY

yields nothing and i don't know what it should be set to.

my last problem is running the quake2 expansion packs.  they run fantastically but i can't start them from the cl.  i tried

wine quake2 -game rogue

but that doesn't work - the game starts but the mod doesn't - if then use ` to get into the console and do

game rogue it works instantly.  what did i mess up?

p.s. please don't post about games i should try instead, which often happens - i want to play these!

#2 2005-02-08 14:47:13

vicious

Re: Running quake 1 and 2 under wine

Why do you try to run them under wine? They have (at least quake1) lots of ports to Linux, with lots of extra features.

#3 2005-02-08 14:48:04

vicious

dibblethewrecker wrote:

p.s. please don't post about games i should try instead, which often happens - i want to play these!

Perhaps you could try to play DOOM? It's much better than Quake IMHO.

#4 2005-02-08 21:58:54

freakyc

The reason wine likely isn't recognizing the -game argument is that it'll think it's an argument for wine and not quake.  I used to need to do something like wine -- hl.exe -game cs for counter-strike.  That might not be right, but something along those lines.  'wine --help' and 'man wine' don't give much help.

Not sure about your first question.

And links to some native ports:
Quake 2
GLXQuake *there's lots of different Quake ports....search happypenguin.org

#5 2005-02-09 09:25:25

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

vicious - point me in the direction of one of those ports that works and i'll happily give up with wine - i tried all the ones i could find so far.

actually - is this glxquake one?

freaky - nice to see you again - you'll notice i already heavily checked out icculus' stuff - thanks for the glxquake pointer

#6 2005-02-13 17:26:16

SleepyDog

Quake 1 ports: FuhQuake, Quakeforge
Quake 2 ports: Q2 LNX

There's probably more Quake 2 Linux ports, but I don't play Quake 2, because it sucks compared to its daddy :twisted:

Board footer