You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-27 06:25:11

mutlu_inek

Why is digikam beta 5 in [testing]?

I am wondering why the 5th beta of digikam is in [testing]. Clearly, this repo is there to (a) test packages before releasing them.  Sometimes (b) beta packages are put in [testing] to check whether new ways of packaging certain sets of software (the early KDE 4 series comes to mind) actually works on more machines than that of the developer. In a few cases (c) there have been exceptions when software was still beta or RC, but stable and the old version was horribly outdated or depended on stuff that was going to be dropped altogether.

I just don't see the point of including digikam this early. I can't imagine that it is a challenge to package. Even if, there are another beta and an RC scheduled. Also, while the final will be called "1.0.0," it is in fact just another incremental release, so this is not really a reason, either. Since it is crashy for me (does not like my SD card) I started wondering.

I have put "IgnorePkg=digikam" into /etc/pacman.conf, but I am curious why this was necessary in the first place. And I am sure I will forget I put it there... tongue

#2 2009-10-28 03:16:20

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Re: Why is digikam beta 5 in [testing]?

If you want an answer, you should ask digikam's maintainer.

#3 2009-11-22 16:23:42

TheGrudge
Website

Re: Why is digikam beta 5 in [testing]?

At least it is in [testing] here, Ubuntu had the stupid idea to put digiKam-beta5 into their stable release. Unfortunately beta5 had a serious crash when importing images from a camera. I fixed that in beta6, but Ubuntu doesn't seem to update the packages.
This is really a shame... I hope they will not ship this version for 6 months now, I already close 100 of bugreports about this topic every day, all coming from Ubuntu users.
So at least I'm happy that my beloved Archlinux is not making such stupid moves :-)

digiKam developer - www.digikam.org

Board footer