You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-22 04:49:57

tuddy

Audio CD not recognized (weird)

Hi Everyone,

This is regarding a fresh install of Arch. My DE is LXDE and everything is working great except no audio ripping apps like , Rhythmbox, Sound-Juicer, or asunder will see audio cd's. Audio out works great, I can read all the formats also. The pc sees data cd's just fine as well as audio cd's that have pc extras on them but when I put a pure audio cd in...nada. Doesn;t even show up in PcmanFm or Thunar. I've googled for an hour and can't find a single thing. I know that ripping works on this hardware because I used Ubuntu for a long time. Arch is obvuiously way faster and better but it won't read my audio CD's! Please help!

-Pete

#2 2009-11-22 06:03:11

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: Audio CD not recognized (weird)

Audio CDs don't have standard file systems, so file managers that see the audio tracks have extra functionality built in. Check out cdfs from community and see if it solves your problem.

#3 2009-11-22 14:45:00

tuddy

skottish wrote:

Audio CDs don't have standard file systems, so file managers that see the audio tracks have extra functionality built in. Check out cdfs from community and see if it solves your problem.

skottish, thanks for the quick reply. I pulled cdfs from community. Am I supposed to add something to fstab or add it as a module or daemon? The cd rippers are still complaining that they can't find any audio cd's. I tried man cdfs and didn't get anything and googled cdfs and couldn't find anything useful regarding Arch. Please advise, thanks.

-Pete

#4 2009-11-22 16:03:35

skottish
Forum Fellow

Sorry tuddy, I was really tired when I responded to your post and missed some (most?) of the details. Ripping apps should find the discs without any extra software. Put an audio CD in the tray, wait a seconds, and run 'dmesg | tail' from a terminal and see what kind of output you get.

#5 2009-11-22 16:42:40

tuddy

skottish wrote:

Sorry tuddy, I was really tired when I responded to your post and missed some (most?) of the details. Ripping apps should find the discs without any extra software. Put an audio CD in the tray, wait a seconds, and run 'dmesg | tail' from a terminal and see what kind of output you get.

Don't sweat it, skottish. I didn't think of looking at the kernel message until you mentioned it. Something definetely doesn't look right here. I also failed to mention some other information. I have a cd-writer and dvd-writer on the same IDE channel and if I put an audio cd into the old cd-writer then asunder can see that drive and it works. Problem is that it's old and slow. I know the DVD drive works, I just verified it under another operating system that shall remain nameless. Please advise.

#before audio cd is inserted

CONFIG_NF_CT_ACCT is deprecated and will be removed soon. Please use
nf_conntrack.acct=1 kernel parameter, acct=1 nf_conntrack module option or
sysctl net.netfilter.nf_conntrack_acct=1 to enable it.
NET: Registered protocol family 10
lo: Disabled Privacy Extensions
ip6_tables: (C) 2000-2006 Netfilter Core Team
agpgart-nvidia 0000:00:00.0: AGP 3.0 bridge
agpgart-nvidia 0000:00:00.0: putting AGP V3 device into 8x mode
nvidia 0000:02:00.0: putting AGP V3 device into 8x mode
eth0: no IPv6 routers present

#after audio cd is inserted

sr 1:0:1:0: [sr1] ASC=0x64 ASCQ=0x0
end_request: I/O error, dev sr1, sector 0
sr 1:0:1:0: [sr1] Result: hostbyte=0x00 driverbyte=0x08
sr 1:0:1:0: [sr1] Sense Key : 0x5 [current] 
sr 1:0:1:0: [sr1] Result: hostbyte=0x00 driverbyte=0x08
sr 1:0:1:0: [sr1] Sense Key : 0x5 [current] 

#6 2009-11-22 17:55:30

skottish
Forum Fellow

I'm seeing similar errors with dmesg, but grip can find the CD:

dmesg | tail
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 4
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 5
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 6
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 7
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 8
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 9
sr 7:0:0:0: [sr0] Result: hostbyte=0x00 driverbyte=0x08
sr 7:0:0:0: [sr0] Sense Key : 0x5 [current] 
sr 7:0:0:0: [sr0] ASC=0x64 ASCQ=0x0
end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 0

It's strange that the rippers are finding sr0 and not sr1. Honestly I'm at a loss for why. Someone here knows though...

#7 2009-11-22 20:36:38

tuddy

skottish wrote:

I'm seeing similar errors with dmesg, but grip can find the CD:

dmesg | tail
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 4
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 5
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 6
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 7
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 8
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 9
sr 7:0:0:0: [sr0] Result: hostbyte=0x00 driverbyte=0x08
sr 7:0:0:0: [sr0] Sense Key : 0x5 [current] 
sr 7:0:0:0: [sr0] ASC=0x64 ASCQ=0x0
end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 0

It's strange that the rippers are finding sr0 and not sr1. Honestly I'm at a loss for why. Someone here knows though...

skottish, thanks for all the help. Is there anything else I can provide to help figure out what the problem with my hardware is? Thanks.

-Pete

#8 2009-11-22 21:04:10

skottish
Forum Fellow

I just checked out asunder for the first time and noticed that its default is set to /dev/cdrom. Then I took a look at grip and it's the same. This may be a silly question, but have you tried changing that?

#9 2009-11-22 21:19:29

tuddy

skottish wrote:

I just checked out asunder for the first time and noticed that its default is set to /dev/cdrom. Then I took a look at grip and it's the same. This may be a silly question, but have you tried changing that?

Not a silly question by any means, changing /dev/cdrom to /dev/sr1 fixed the problem in asunder. asunder saw the audio cd immediately after I clicked ok. Sound-Juicer still doesn't work but I'll bet any money that if I found where the config file that tells the program what device to look for is, that would fix it.  I'm a bit confused though. In /etc/fstab none of the entries refer to /dev/sr0 or s1 only cd and dvd. Are those settings actually emaningful to the system? Thanks for your help skottish, it's much appreciated. If you're ever in Chicago let me know, I'll by you a cup a coffee, or scotch, if that's you're thing.

-Pete

#10 2009-11-22 21:34:30

skottish
Forum Fellow

You're welcome for the help. And, like a lot of other Archers, I can be a major caffeine fiend so coffee it is.

There's some udev/HAL magic going on with the whole /dev/sr0 thing, and it works without those lines in fstab. What's happening is /dev/sr0 is mounted to /media/<some mount point>. That mount point is internally a reference to the optical device which in turn is a symlink to the name of the block device that Linux wants to use.

Board footer