You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-17 12:38:40

Drifty Flintlock

Most, but not all of my sound is broken.

It all started when I upgraded to KDEmod 4.3. First, my sound stopped working, but after reading the notes I realized I needed to install a Phonon backend. So I did. I installed kdemod-phonon-backend-xine and for a little while all was well. Then sound just stopped working again. I've tried Amarok, VLC, Kaffeine, Flash videos in Firefox and a couple other various programs with various files. For some strange reason Amarok DOES have sound, but nothing else does, even when playing the same files I can play in Amarok. So it doesn't seem to be a problem with the sound itself, but with certain programs, but I have no idea why. I literally did not change a single package between when it was working and when it broke. I'm not sure whether the upgrade to KDE 4.3 was related, but since it also gave me sound problems until fixing them I thought I'd throw it out there.

I'm at a bit of a loss here. Any ideas?

#2 2009-08-18 13:01:05

Drifty Flintlock

Re: Most, but not all of my sound is broken.

Oh, but it gets weirder. For a while yesterday everything just suddenly started working again, then broke just as fast. I've also noticed that some programs will be working and some broken. For example, I had VLC broken and Neverball working.  Through it all, flash has never worked and Amarok has always worked. I did figure something out, though I'm not sure of the exact implications. I went into VLC and screwed with the audio settings. When I changed the output type from Auto to Simple DirectMedia Layer, VLC started working again. Which is great for VLC, but I still need to figure out the root of the problem. But it seems like something is wrong with the Default audio, whatever that is.

#3 2009-08-19 22:40:31

djszapi
Website

Hello Drifty!

Which sound system do you try to use ?

#4 2009-08-20 00:01:51

Drifty Flintlock

I haven't delved to deeply into sound but I believe I'm set up for ALSA.

#5 2009-08-20 00:31:20

djszapi
Website

Could you try it with another one, like pulseaudio (or maybe oss) ? They've got nice wiki pages how to set them.

#6 2009-08-21 03:41:34

Drifty Flintlock

I tried setting up Pulse. Now almost all of my sound works, but Amarok is broken.

Go figure.

#7 2009-11-22 23:48:31

Drifty Flintlock

Sorry to revive an old topic, but I'm having the same issues again, and this time much worse. Before it was kind of sporadic and I could live with it. Now no sound outside of Amarok works, ever. I even took out my sound card and tried to use the onboard sound in case it was something crazy like that, but no results. I notice when I start KDE there's a message telling me the device doesn't work, though it doesn't explain why. When I try to play sound in anything but Amarok, I find this message in everything.log

Nov 22 23:43:23 workstation pulseaudio[3139]: alsa-sink.c: Error opening PCM device front:0: Device or resource busy

Despite all this Amarok STILL works, and if I go into the system settings for KDE and play the test sound, that works. Nothing else does.

I'm at a loss as to why the device would be busy.

#8 2009-11-23 00:05:30

chalten07

Hello,

I had also big issues with phonon-xine recently => I posted a lot on the french forum ...

My conclusion => I removed phonon-xine and selected gstreamer in kde multimedia config
NB : phonon-gstreamer is not installed on my pc

Then in the multimedia configuration, I selected the "default" device for all types (video, music, ... )

In addition, I installed the meta-package "gstreamer0.10-plugins" ....

Board footer