You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-02 13:33:48

jj87

Eterm devpts problem

Hello everyone.

Today, out of the blue, Eterm stopped working for me. I've ran a few system upgrades this week, didn't notice any problems. Eterm's been working for ages, too. I'm using wmii as a window manager.

Running it i get the following error:

Eterm:  Error:  grantpt(4) failed:  No child processes
Eterm:  Error:  Can't open pseudo-tty -- No such file or directory
Eterm:  Error:  Unable to run sub-command.

I have google'd and searched, everyone seems to suggest that /dev/pts isn't mounted. /etc/fstab has this entry for devpts:

devpts                   /dev/pts      devpts    defaults            0      0

The first "devpts" was "none", and i tried changing it to "devpts" after someone advised it to me, but it made no difference.

Also, "mount" says:

devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)

... so I'm assuming it is in fact mounted. I have also tried umounting and mounting it again manually. Didn't help.

Another interesting thing is that xterm and aterm both work just fine. Also, when I first boot, I can open one Eterm, but trying to open the second one gives me the error.

While having one Eterm and one xterm opened:

[jj@kutija ~]$ ls -l /dev/pts/
total 0
crw--w---- 1 jj jj 136, 0 2009-11-02 14:31 0
crw--w--w- 1 jj jj 136, 1 2009-11-02 14:31 1
[jj@kutija ~]$

Any ideas?

Thanks.

#2 2009-11-02 16:32:15

smaxer

Re: Eterm devpts problem

Same problem here!

It happened to me about a week ago...  sometimes the first two (autostarted) shells come up fine but sometimes just one or none. And after that it never works.

Maybe something is blocking devpts - i don't know.

Strange.

#3 2009-11-02 19:53:04

jj87

well so far my solution has been to pimp out my urxvt and use it instead. i like it better anyway so i'm in no hurry for this solution. but it obviously still is a problem.

#4 2009-11-23 14:33:28

ozgun

I found a solution here: http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/linux- … o-tty.html

To summarize, open "/etc/group" file and replace "tty::5:" with "tty::5:your-login-name"

However, there is one drawback which I'm not sure if it is related to this fix. After this fix, I cannot run any programs with gui from Eterm. I get this error:

No protocol specified
E233: cannot open displayNo protocol specified

Board footer